Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-09-2019, 02:34 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-06-2019 07:16 AM)EeK Wrote:  Any guesses?
Yeah, broken driver. Have you submitted feedback? https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2019, 03:29 PM (Last edited: 11-09-2019, 03:45 PM by m4rcus)
Today i upgraded my gpu to rtx 2080 super from gtx 1080 (driver version 441.12)

and i noticed after using CRU for setting my BenQ EX3203R's minimum V-rate from 24 to 48 (needs to be done for gsync/adaptive sync to work) that the card wont clock down in idle anymore if the second screen is connected.

On my gtx 1080 i had my second screen connected via DVI running at 60hz and my main display via DP at 120hz to be able to clock down in idle and i had no issue with that.

Funny enough when i let it stay on 24-144 it even clocks down now on 144hz with the second display connected which it never did with older gpus.

The new card doesnt come with dvi anymore so i tried DP and HDMI just to be sure but no chance.

the notes say "The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary."
but im not sure what to make of that since i raised the value from 24hz to 48hz? Maybe its not even connected i really dont know :<

I need my idle clocks back please help. What kind of numbergames can i play with cru to be able to run my main display at least at 120hz +gsync compatible and my second display at 60hz? Hell id even take the second display below that, its just there to play tvshows and movies.
11-09-2019, 04:58 PM
(11-09-2019 03:29 PM)m4rcus Wrote:  Today i upgraded my gpu to rtx 2080 super from gtx 1080 (driver version 441.12)

and i noticed after using CRU for setting my BenQ EX3203R's minimum V-rate from 24 to 48 (needs to be done for gsync/adaptive sync to work) that the card wont clock down in idle anymore if the second screen is connected.

On my gtx 1080 i had my second screen connected via DVI running at 60hz and my main display via DP at 120hz to be able to clock down in idle and i had no issue with that.

Funny enough when i let it stay on 24-144 it even clocks down now on 144hz with the second display connected which it never did with older gpus.

The new card doesnt come with dvi anymore so i tried DP and HDMI just to be sure but no chance.

the notes say "The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary."
but im not sure what to make of that since i raised the value from 24hz to 48hz? Maybe its not even connected i really dont know :<

I need my idle clocks back please help. What kind of numbergames can i play with cru to be able to run my main display at least at 120hz +gsync compatible and my second display at 60hz? Hell id even take the second display below that, its just there to play tvshows and movies.
Simply changing the minimum adaptive sync range shouldn't affect clocking down. That would be a driver bug. The video card can't clock down the memory with multiple monitors if the blanking periods aren't synchronized, so I have no idea how idle worked on the 1080. They have to be running at the same refresh rate with the same horizontal/vertical totals, or if one monitor is G-SYNC and the other is not, the G-SYNC monitor has to always synchronize with the other monitor at 60 Hz.
11-14-2019, 12:48 AM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 02:00 AM by Sephiron)
I just got my new Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 (GTX 1650 model) and I figured I would give CRU a wack.
To be fair, this is my first time using CRU but I have overclocked monitors in the past including the one on my MSI GT83VR.

I also want to say what an awesome community here! Sorry to hop on board when just when I have issues but I fear an intel driver limitation.

This is a 10th gen ice lake model with the 1065g7 eDP (hwinfo) and every time I make ANY change in CRU, it results in a black screen. Maybe I'm literally doing it wrong? I add any new resolution, even the same one that's listed by copying the settings of the default, then hitting okay, restart.exe and bam. Black screen every time. I have turned off all of the power options in the intel settings but every time I get a black screen. I have to clear settings and restart to get it back. I don't even get to the option where it lets me select the new refresh rate. I tried looking up and down the web today but I just can't find anything.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
11-14-2019, 02:02 AM
(11-14-2019 12:48 AM)Sephiron Wrote:  I just got my new Razer Blade Stealth late 2019 (GTX 1650 model) and I figured I would give CRU a wack.
To be fair, I have not used this particular software but I have overclocked monitors in the past including the one on my MSI GT83VR.

This is a 10th gen ice lake model with the 1065g7 eDP (hwinfo) and every time I make ANY change in CRU, it results in a black screen. I have turned off all of the power options in the intel settings but every time I get a black screen. I even tried just replacing the default with one with the same settings but still the same issue. I tried looking up and down the web today but I just can't find anything.
Can you try the alternative method for Intel GPUs? Laptops usually have switchable graphics, and the alternative method should work with newer Intel GPUs as well.
11-14-2019, 04:52 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 05:51 PM by oomek)
Is there a chance that you could add physical monitor dimensions? It's displayed as Image Size and Maximum Image Size in MonitorInfoView.

According to the EDID specs the bytes of interests are 21, 22 in Basic display parameters and bytes 12, 13, 14 in Detailed Timing Descriptor. When I tried to edit it in AW EDID Editor and then import and apply in CRU those values get reverted back to defaults.
11-14-2019, 09:07 PM
(11-14-2019 04:52 PM)oomek Wrote:  Is there a chance that you could add physical monitor dimensions? It's displayed as Image Size and Maximum Image Size in MonitorInfoView.

According to the EDID specs the bytes of interests are 21, 22 in Basic display parameters and bytes 12, 13, 14 in Detailed Timing Descriptor. When I tried to edit it in AW EDID Editor and then import and apply in CRU those values get reverted back to defaults.
That depends. What do you need to set the image size for?

I thought about adding the screen size to the display properties, but the screen size can contain an aspect ratio instead with odd calculations, so that complicates the implementation a bit. If you select "Import complete EDID" when importing, it will import this information.

For detailed resolutions, my main concern is people won't know what to put in for the image size when adding or editing a resolution, and I haven't seen anything actually use this information, so CRU just puts in the resolution divided by four. I'm reluctant to add this unless I can find a way without cluttering the interface.
11-14-2019, 09:20 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM by oomek)
Some monitors like mine have screwed data due to manufacturer's negligence. I have LG Ultrawide 29UM67 that is reporting the EDID of the 34" version that seems to share the same pcb. My app relies on this information and I was hoping that I could override those wrong data. Selecting full import only preserves 2 bytes in the Basic Disp. Params. I'm gonna link the modified edid and both dumps (with normal and full import) in a moment

Attached File(s)
.zip  LG29UM67-EDID.zip (Size: 1.17 KB / Downloads: 18)
11-14-2019, 10:49 PM
(11-14-2019 09:20 PM)oomek Wrote:  Selecting full import only preserves 2 bytes in the Basic Disp. Params.
I know. That was intentional to keep the data consistent. If it preserves the image size in the detailed resolutions, then what should happen if the user edits the resolution? What about when copying and pasting a resolution between different monitors? What about when adding a new resolution? I thought about making it copy the screen size, but that won't make sense if it has an aspect ratio instead. These and other issues are why I made CRU put in default values for detailed resolution image sizes. I can make a version for you that doesn't change this information, but my computer is dead at the moment and won't be fixed until next week.
11-14-2019, 10:55 PM (Last edited: 11-14-2019, 11:23 PM by oomek)
Thanks for explaining, I thought I'm doing something wrong. What If I edited the EDID REG_BINANY created by CRU directly in the registry and replaced with my original modified bin. Would that work?

Update: It worked.