7680x4320 detailed 8k resolution
11-18-2020, 02:55 AM
RE: 7680x4320 detailed 8k resolution
(11-17-2020 08:59 PM)LanceMc Wrote:  What does not make sense to me is why the LG 8k (GSM0001) has CRU "4:2:0 resolutions" of 60Hz and 50Hz for 8k, but the refresh rate in nVidia Control Panel is 30Hz down to 23Hz. See attached pictures.
The "4:2:0 capability map" is another way to define 4:2:0 resolutions. CRU doesn't have a way to edit it yet because it corresponds to the TV resolutions data block, so designing a dialog that can edit two data blocks at once is a bit tricky. It's not a high priority for me because you can just delete the capability map and define the resolutions you want in a 4:2:0 resolutions data block, which should be equivalent.

(11-17-2020 08:59 PM)LanceMc Wrote:  I was going to attach the original LG and Samsung bin files, but it seems they have the "ID serial #". Let me know what files I can post or send to you directly.
The ID serial # is probably not the actual serial number, but you can delete it and then export a file (you don't need to save the changes before exporting).

(11-17-2020 08:59 PM)LanceMc Wrote:  At this point I need your help determining if this is bad PnP data from the TV manufactures, or if CRU needs an update to handle unexpected formatting with the 8k data.

One last observation is that there seems to be order dependencies in the CEA-861 section. I tried to match the Samsung settings with the LG setting, but towards the end of twiddling in CRU, the results in the nVidia Control Panel were not matching the setting in CRU, until the end when I had deleted all of the CRU resolutions, and nVidia Control Panal seems to have know supported setting built into the drivers. I believe that is what you modify with your driver patch automation.

It makes me think that the best way to approach a solid work around for the community is to have 8k support added to your existing driver patch automation. I suggest that because it looks like the timing settings between the LG and the Samsung TVs are the same.
The driver patch doesn't deal with resolutions. It only modifies pixel clock limits, and you shouldn't need the patch anyway. CRU doesn't need to do anything special to support 8K resolutions. This isn't a CRU issue anyway because you didn't need to use CRU on the other two machines, so the question is why is the NVIDIA driver behaving differently on one particular machine? There has to be a reason, but I can't think of one. This is something you should ask NVIDIA support about. They have a ticket system here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/support/consumer/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2020, 07:16 PM
RE: 7680x4320 detailed 8k resolution
Thank you for the details about the "4:2:0 capability map"; I appreciate the complication of having two different data blocks that are dependent on each other.

I am still using the work-around with the LG TV configuration in CRU on the Samsung TV. The resolution is good enough where I can code and work, but the colors look like they are bleeding because of the 4:2:0. However I was able to get a card with HDMI 2.1 on December 2nd. Details left out to keep this thread focused on the issue.

Along with all the drama and disappointments on Tuesday, nVidia released a driver update. I've installed it, but I have not reverted back to the Samsung TV configuration in CRU. It is still setup as the LG TV configuration.

I have submitted a ticket to nVidia; thank you for the link. They suggested 'sfc /scannow' and there were corrupt files found and repaired. Before I install the new card next week, I'll delete the LG TV config in CRU, and let the Samsung TV connect with a clean PnP handshake to see if the system file checker resolved the problem. They also suggested logging in with a different user profile incase there is conflicting software. Only software that I have that might be remotely involved with the graphics, besides CRU and DDU, is SnagIt.

Hopefully next week I'll have results for the W3060 system test which will have HDMI 2.1 and support 4:4:4.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply