How can i limit my monitor resolution?
02-02-2021, 12:33 AM
How can i limit my monitor resolution?
The issue i'm having is that Windows is allowing me to select resolutions that are higher than the native of my monitor (1440x900).

https://imgur.com/a/cGNPXbd

I already tried CRU, but for some reason, it crashes my computer. So now i'm wondering if there's anything that can limit my monitor resolution?
'cause even when the monitor's driver is installed, nothing changes, it doesn't even shows the native res as recommended...

Since the native resolution is not marked as "recommended", every time i open a fullscreen application, the resolution is set to the highest available, and this causes my screen to go black because the monitor doesn't support a res this high.

I have a GTX 970 with a VGA monitor, and i'm using a DVI to VGA adapter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2021, 11:48 AM
RE: How can i limit my monitor resolution?
The problem is your monitor is not sending a valid EDID, maybe because it's corrupted, and then on top of that, NVIDIA's driver has a bug that causes it to crash if an EDID override is present when the monitor doesn't have a valid EDID, so there's no way to set the native resolution. Getting an HDMI to VGA adapter might work around the problem.

The other option is to delete all the resolutions greater than 1440x900. Search the registry for NV_Modes. NVIDIA's driver uses that list if the monitor doesn't have a valid EDID.
02-02-2021, 05:06 PM
(02-02-2021 11:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The problem is your monitor is not sending a valid EDID, maybe because it's corrupted, and then on top of that, NVIDIA's driver has a bug that causes it to crash if an EDID override is present when the monitor doesn't have a valid EDID, so there's no way to set the native resolution. Getting an HDMI to VGA adapter might work around the problem.

The other option is to delete all the resolutions greater than 1440x900. Search the registry for NV_Modes. NVIDIA's driver uses that list if the monitor doesn't have a valid EDID.

Hey, i just deleted some resolutions from the registry and it worked! Now i only have the ones i need. Thanks!

About the HDMI to VGA adapter, i actually have one of those, and it fixes this problem. Also, while using CRU with a DVI to VGA adapter makes my computer crash, using it with a HDMI to VGA adapter works just fine. Apparently the DVI adapter is making my monitor unrecognizable by the computer. Should this actually happen, or is my adapter faulty?
02-02-2021, 06:15 PM
No, that shouldn't happen. Did CRU show the correct resolution with the HDMI to VGA adapter? If so, then the DVI to VGA adapter is probably faulty. If you had to add the correct resolution, then the HDMI to VGA adapter is probably providing its own generic EDID if the monitor's EDID is unreadable or invalid.
02-02-2021, 07:41 PM (Last edited: 02-02-2021, 07:42 PM by enforce)
(02-02-2021 06:15 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  No, that shouldn't happen. Did CRU show the correct resolution with the HDMI to VGA adapter? If so, then the DVI to VGA adapter is probably faulty. If you had to add the correct resolution, then the HDMI to VGA adapter is probably providing its own generic EDID if the monitor's EDID is unreadable or invalid.

Here's the default settings for the HDMI-VGA adapter:

https://imgur.com/a/7BNhdcl

For the most part it gets the resolutions right, but the adapter also have 3 more resolutions in the extension block, which i remove. Using this adapter, my monitor is actually recongnized, and shows up as "AOC 717wx". As for the DVI to VGA adapter, it shows up as nothing.

https://imgur.com/a/LYRjsHV

I'll try to get another DVI adapter and see what happens.