Timing parameters rule
10-10-2021, 12:50 PM (Last edited: 10-10-2021, 12:57 PM by BigChungus0001)
Timing parameters rule
Hello.

I am playing around with my timings on CRU and started wondering if there are any rules/recommendations regarding compatibility with Horizontal and Vertical parameters. Since now, I've been putting a value on Vertical parameters and a multiple of said value on Horizontal parameter (Front & Back Porch, Blanking and Sync Width).

Edit: This question may sound dumb because basically anything works as long as you don't put stupid values, but I'm asking this because sometimes my monitor starts to tear the image horribly in-game (not screen tearing caused by FPS), but putting correct values seems to fix that (might be placebo, idk)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2021, 07:05 AM (Last edited: 10-11-2021, 07:06 AM by jaylumx)
RE: Timing parameters rule
Maybe the following can help you in your quest.

Linkage

(10-10-2021 12:50 PM)BigChungus0001 Wrote:  Hello.

I am playing around with my timings on CRU and started wondering if there are any rules/recommendations regarding compatibility with Horizontal and Vertical parameters. Since now, I've been putting a value on Vertical parameters and a multiple of said value on Horizontal parameter (Front & Back Porch, Blanking and Sync Width).

Edit: This question may sound dumb because basically anything works as long as you don't put stupid values, but I'm asking this because sometimes my monitor starts to tear the image horribly in-game (not screen tearing caused by FPS), but putting correct values seems to fix that (might be placebo, idk)
10-12-2021, 05:41 PM
RE: Timing parameters rule
The rules depend on the standards, but the tearing problem is a monitor-specific limitation, so the rules might not matter. CRU includes all the common standards.
  • For VESA standards, the horizontal values are multiples of 8.
  • For CVT-RB, the horizontal values are always 48 32 80, and for CVT-RB2, the horizontal values are always 8 32 40.
  • For CVT/CVT-RB, the vertical front porch is always 3, the vertical sync width is based on the aspect ratio (5 for 16:9), and the vertical back porch is set to make the vertical blanking at least 460 microseconds.
  • For CVT-RB2, the vertical sync width is always 8, the vertical back porch is always 6, and the vertical front porch is set to make the vertical blanking at least 460 microseconds.
  • For CTA-861, 1920x1080 @ 30/60/120 Hz is 88 44 148 for horizontal and 4 5 36 for vertical.