Manually enabling HDR on a non-HDR monitor (to use with Moonlight)
01-23-2022, 12:59 AM
Manually enabling HDR on a non-HDR monitor (to use with Moonlight)
i’m using moonlight with an iphone 12 mini but because the actual screen on my pc doesn’t support hdr, i can’t use it at all.. some people have got it working with cloning the edid from an hdr screen and using that dummy plug in their pc, so it should be possible to do this with software overrides only right? i tried all the settings i could before i gave up and i have no clue what to put for luminance values. btw i barely use the actual screen connected to my pc so it’s fine if that screen will be unusable or something! btw thanks a lot for this software and thanks for any help in advance! take care!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2022, 07:52 AM (Last edited: 01-23-2022, 07:52 AM by kaxapo69)
RE: Manually enabling HDR on a non-HDR monitor (to use with Moonlight)
(01-23-2022 12:59 AM)laralove Wrote:  i’m using moonlight with an iphone 12 mini but because the actual screen on my pc doesn’t support hdr, i can’t use it at all.. some people have got it working with cloning the edid from an hdr screen and using that dummy plug in their pc, so it should be possible to do this with software overrides only right? i tried all the settings i could before i gave up and i have no clue what to put for luminance values. btw i barely use the actual screen connected to my pc so it’s fine if that screen will be unusable or something! btw thanks a lot for this software and thanks for any help in advance! take care!

Normally you dont need to clone others monitor EDID, did you try to modify your EDID data with CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)? normally you should be able to add HDR Support and trick the OS with the fake EDID.
01-23-2022, 08:02 AM
(01-23-2022 07:52 AM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 12:59 AM)laralove Wrote:  i’m using moonlight with an iphone 12 mini but because the actual screen on my pc doesn’t support hdr, i can’t use it at all.. some people have got it working with cloning the edid from an hdr screen and using that dummy plug in their pc, so it should be possible to do this with software overrides only right? i tried all the settings i could before i gave up and i have no clue what to put for luminance values. btw i barely use the actual screen connected to my pc so it’s fine if that screen will be unusable or something! btw thanks a lot for this software and thanks for any help in advance! take care!

Normally you dont need to clone others monitor EDID, did you try to modify your EDID data with CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)? normally you should be able to add HDR Support and trick the OS with the fake EDID.

that’s what i think too but idk which values to put there i tried some random ones but it didn’t workSad
01-23-2022, 11:12 AM (Last edited: 01-23-2022, 11:19 AM by kaxapo69)
(01-23-2022 08:02 AM)laralove Wrote:  

that’s what i think too but idk which values to put there i tried some random ones but it didn’t workSad

Ah you were trying to modify the edid manually ? Just use CRU and add the HDR support (normally it’s possible, but i’ve never tried)

PS: add me on Discord (copy and paste my nickname): ??????#4199
01-23-2022, 07:56 PM
(01-23-2022 11:12 AM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  

Ah you were trying to modify the edid manually ? Just use CRU and add the HDR support (normally it’s possible, but i’ve never tried)

i was using cru… i added the hdr data block but it didn’t work and idk what i’m doing
01-23-2022, 09:13 PM
(01-23-2022 07:56 PM)laralove Wrote:  

i was using cru… i added the hdr data block but it didn’t work and idk what i’m doing

Send me your discord or steam at my mail address: alexis99@live.com.pt so you can explain in a better way what you’re trying to achieve.
12-09-2022, 12:13 PM
And what's the result of this question? I'm also trying to know how to enable HDR for streaming without a HDR monitor on host PC. Does it works?
12-10-2022, 06:51 PM
(01-23-2022 09:13 PM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 07:56 PM)laralove Wrote:  
(01-23-2022 07:52 AM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  Normally you dont need to clone others monitor EDID, did you try to modify your EDID data with CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)? normally you should be able to add HDR Support and trick the OS with the fake EDID.

Send me your discord or steam at my mail address: alexis99@live.com.pt so you can explain in a better way what you’re trying to achieve.

Sorry, I just saw this post, my Discord is laralove#0143, thank you for the help!
01-04-2023, 03:27 PM (Last edited: 01-04-2023, 03:28 PM by Manic020)
(01-23-2022 09:13 PM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  Send me your discord or steam at my mail address: alexis99@live.com.pt so you can explain in a better way what you’re trying to achieve.

What kind of scam are you trying to pull here? If you know the answer to the question, post it publicly so everyone else can see it. Some details other than "just use CRU" would be nice.