16:10 or 3:2 13/14 inch laptop with 50hz support
05-24-2022, 07:19 PM
16:10 or 3:2 13/14 inch laptop with 50hz support
I hope people on this forum can help me with the following.

I am looking for a compact 13/14 inch laptop with a 16:10 or 3:2 display of which that internal display supports a 50hz refresh rate. Either by default (in Windows) or using CRU

Preferably with a screen that has a good contrast and 300+ nits, a few USB-A ports and 4+ cores.

The laptop will mainly used for emulating retro machines like C64 & Amiga.

Shops I have asked here in The Netherlands can't help me with this specific question.

Models I have in mind are
* ASUS ROG Flow X13
* HP Pavilion Aero 13
* HP Dragonfly Eilte G3

The latter one is a bit expensive though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2022, 03:14 PM
RE: 16:10 or 3:2 13/14 inch laptop with 50hz support
Laptops with FreeSync/G-SYNC should be able to do 50 Hz if it's within range. If the emulators support FreeSync/G-SYNC, that would be the best option because then the screen can synchronize perfectly with the emulator. Otherwise, you'll probably need to create a custom resolution because 50 Hz is usually not one of the default options.

CRU should work with any laptop that has a dedicated GPU without switchable graphics. The problem is laptop specs usually don't mention if they're using switchable graphics. Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU is usually switchable graphics, and Intel's driver often doesn't allow custom resolutions with laptop screens. AMD CPU + AMD GPU usually works with CRU. I don't know about other combinations.
05-25-2022, 04:17 PM
RE: 16:10 or 3:2 13/14 inch laptop with 50hz support
(05-25-2022 03:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Laptops with FreeSync/G-SYNC should be able to do 50 Hz if it's within range. If the emulators support FreeSync/G-SYNC, that would be the best option because then the screen can synchronize perfectly with the emulator. Otherwise, you'll probably need to create a custom resolution because 50 Hz is usually not one of the default options.

CRU should work with any laptop that has a dedicated GPU without switchable graphics. The problem is laptop specs usually don't mention if they're using switchable graphics. Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU is usually switchable graphics, and Intel's driver often doesn't allow custom resolutions with laptop screens. AMD CPU + AMD GPU usually works with CRU. I don't know about other combinations.
Thanks for the answer. The thing is I can't buy a laptop, test it, and return it if it doesn' work.

Now I have an old Dell Latitude E7440 laptop that only has an Intel GPU and that one accepts my 50hz custom refresh rate set with CRU. My newer Dell 9550 doesn't switch to the custom 50hz refresh rate, even though I can select it.