How do you find the limit of your monitor?
12-02-2022, 04:32 PM
How do you find the limit of your monitor?
A guide on Youtube would direct me to raise the laptop's monitor's Hz by 5 Hz at a time. After slowly raising and playing around with the timings, I managed to increase from 60 Hz to 105 Hz.

After half a year, I would finally take notice of Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher. I'm thinking it would make sense for me to use it because the monitor turns blank when trying to make the pixel clock go above 240 MHz. Could this be a pixel clock limit? After checking the Common Pixel Clock Limits, two match the 240 MHz limit:

2 Lanes, 270 MHz (HBR), 6 bpc limit
1 Lane, 540 MHz (HBR2), 6 bpc limit

How can I tell which one I have exactly? And can the Pixel Clock Patcher raise the limit of my laptop's monitor? I'm a little confused.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2022, 06:50 PM
RE: How do you find the limit of your monitor?
The NVIDIA pixel clock patcher is for DVI and HDMI 1.x only, and if your laptop has an Intel CPU, it's probably using the Intel GPU to handle the display. Newer laptops often use eDP internally. DisplayPort is packet-based and only runs at fixed speeds, so it can't be overclocked the same way.

GPU-Z will tell you the DisplayPort link rate and number of lanes in the "Advanced" tab if the GPU's driver reports that information: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
12-05-2022, 02:20 AM
(12-04-2022 06:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The NVIDIA pixel clock patcher is for DVI and HDMI 1.x only, and if your laptop has an Intel CPU, it's probably using the Intel GPU to handle the display. Newer laptops often use eDP internally. DisplayPort is packet-based and only runs at fixed speeds, so it can't be overclocked the same way.

GPU-Z will tell you the DisplayPort link rate and number of lanes in the "Advanced" tab if the GPU's driver reports that information: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

Ah, I've checked the Advanced tab and it seems that the driver will not tell me the Link and Lane information. I am using GPU-Z 2.35 instead of the latest version, 2.51, but I don't think that will change anything if I update the program.

Also, my laptop is using the Intel GPU to handle the display. It does not have a MUX switch.

Anyways, I think I need to cut my loses and invest in a monitor. Thank you for your response!
12-05-2022, 04:17 AM
Looking into my monitor, it has a signal type of LVDS (2 channels, 6-bit), 40 pins. Looking around in Google, I read that eDP is generally faster than LVDS, so, I assume that if I were to upgrade my laptop's monitor, I'll have a hard time finding a compatible monitor with a higher refresh rate. I've only found one monitor, 1366×768 120Hz. So, it seems I would sacrifice resolution for a higher refresh rate. I also assume that LVDS is limiting my monitor from achieving a higher pixel clock?