AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
09-03-2017, 05:50 PM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(09-03-2017 04:29 PM)daren@connectel.biz Wrote:  Hi Toasty, I utilized the pixel clock patcher and reduced the pixel clock rate to 150MHz and applied and bingo! worked perfectly my monitor displays clearly in 2560x1080 Mode. But, whenever my monitor/cpu goes to sleep or restart, it starts back in the original mode 1920x1080 (blurry and I have to reset it again) any ideas on how to change it and make it stick?
My setup:

Dell OptiPlex 980 SFF i7 Win10 Pro
ATI Radeon HD4550 with DVI output > HDMI cable convertor
LG Ultra Widescreen 34UM59-P Monitor
Several things in your post don't make sense to me:

1. You shouldn't need the patch if the pixel clock is 150 MHz. How did you reduce the pixel clock to 150 MHz? Show me what you did.
2. 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz would require more than 150 MHz. Are you using 50 Hz?
3. The patch doesn't support 4000-series GPUs. How did it behave without the patch? Was 2560x1080 available and blurry or was it not available at all?
4. Resolutions not sticking would be a driver bug, but AMD doesn't support 4000-series GPUs in Windows 10. AMD doesn't even provide Windows 10 drivers for 4000-series GPUs on their site.

When you say you have to reset it again, what do you mean? Do you mean you have to manually change the resolution back to 2560x1080 in the Windows display settings, or is the resolution not available at all until you run restart.exe?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 06:31 PM
(09-03-2017 05:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 04:29 PM)daren@connectel.biz Wrote:  Hi Toasty, I utilized the pixel clock patcher and reduced the pixel clock rate to 150MHz and applied and bingo! worked perfectly my monitor displays clearly in 2560x1080 Mode. But, whenever my monitor/cpu goes to sleep or restart, it starts back in the original mode 1920x1080 (blurry and I have to reset it again) any ideas on how to change it and make it stick?
My setup:

Dell OptiPlex 980 SFF i7 Win10 Pro
ATI Radeon HD4550 with DVI output > HDMI cable convertor
LG Ultra Widescreen 34UM59-P Monitor
Several things in your post don't make sense to me:

1. You shouldn't need the patch if the pixel clock is 150 MHz. How did you reduce the pixel clock to 150 MHz? Show me what you did.
2. 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz would require more than 150 MHz. Are you using 50 Hz?
3. The patch doesn't support 4000-series GPUs. How did it behave without the patch? Was 2560x1080 available and blurry or was it not available at all?
4. Resolutions not sticking would be a driver bug, but AMD doesn't support 4000-series GPUs in Windows 10. AMD doesn't even provide Windows 10 drivers for 4000-series GPUs on their site.

When you say you have to reset it again, what do you mean? Do you mean you have to manually change the resolution back to 2560x1080 in the Windows display settings, or is the resolution not available at all until you run restart.exe?

Yes, I was desperate so I tried this even though I have a 4000 series GPU.
Without the patch the screen is blurry and the display adaptor does show 2560x1080 is recommended and available. But when you try to select it, the screen is blurry and illegible. So I downloaded the Custom Resolution Utility 1.3.1 and ran it. I then edited it and lowered the max pixel clock to 150 from around 183 where it was defaulted. see screen shots attached.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-03-2017, 08:55 PM
(09-03-2017 06:31 PM)daren@connectel.biz Wrote:  Yes, I was desperate so I tried this even though I have a 4000 series GPU.
Without the patch the screen is blurry and the display adaptor does show 2560x1080 is recommended and available. But when you try to select it, the screen is blurry and illegible. So I downloaded the Custom Resolution Utility 1.3.1 and ran it. I then edited it and lowered the max pixel clock to 150 from around 183 where it was defaulted. see screen shots attached.
I still don't understand why you're using the patch if you're using CRU to reduce the pixel clock. Run reset-all.exe and reboot. What happens with just the patch without the CRU modifications? If it's blurry with the patch at 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz, try deleting the extension block and then run restart.exe. If it's still blurry, then the patch isn't working with your GPU, so there's no point in using it. Just change 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz to 50 Hz. You don't need to mess with the range limits. CRU does not include it by default. As for the resolution not sticking, see if deleting the extension block works around the problem.
09-03-2017, 09:33 PM
(09-03-2017 08:55 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 06:31 PM)daren@connectel.biz Wrote:  Yes, I was desperate so I tried this even though I have a 4000 series GPU.
I still don't understand why you're using the patch if you're using CRU to reduce the pixel clock. Run reset-all.exe and reboot. What happens with just the patch without the CRU modifications? If it's blurry with the patch at 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz, try deleting the extension block and then run restart.exe. If it's still blurry, then the patch isn't working with your GPU, so there's no point in using it. Just change 2560x1080 @ 60 Hz to 50 Hz. You don't need to mess with the range limits. CRU does not include it by default. As for the resolution not sticking, see if deleting the extension block works around the problem.
Brilliant! Ran reset all, rebooted, Deleted the ext block and rebooted again and voila! works perfectly. Not sure exactly what all the patch did or how it worked, but it does and it does work on the ATI Radeon HD 4550!
thanks again for all Toasty!
09-03-2017, 10:15 PM
(09-03-2017 09:33 PM)daren@connectel.biz Wrote:  Brilliant! Ran reset all, rebooted, Deleted the ext block and rebooted again and voila! works perfectly. Not sure exactly what all the patch did or how it worked, but it does and it does work on the ATI Radeon HD 4550!
thanks again for all Toasty!
Sounds like the "SL-DVI limit on DL-DVI" part works with 4000-series GPUs at least, but only if the extension block doesn't have HDMI support in it. Newer video cards will send an HDMI signal through the DVI port, but I guess they didn't program that in for older video cards.

The problem was the video card normally sends a dual-link DVI signal beyond 165 MHz, but since you're using a DVI-HDMI cable and HDMI is single-link, you were losing half the pixels, which is why it was blurry. The patch allows it to send a single-link DVI signal up to 230 MHz.
10-12-2017, 11:20 AM
I have a very weird problem :
After installing new blockchain amd driver my gigabyte rx 470 4gb shows error 43 so i use atik path as always to solve this problem. But right after this my mining rig crush right after bios screan ( cant even boot to windows). So i unplug this card and everything work great.
I tried this cards in diffrent pc and same problem.
I tried diffrent drivers and always the same problem.
Oh i didnt sad that i bios mod this card (3 months working good). So i tried diffrent moded bioses and always same problem.
Only after flashing oryginal bios card work properly.
Someone know what to do ? Had the same problem ? I would love to back to modded bios for better hashrate

Thanks for all help
10-15-2017, 09:09 PM (Last edited: 10-15-2017, 09:09 PM by 1gcrazy)
Not sure where else to turn. I can't get pixel patcher to come back to life. I had it working as intended, was trying to get an R9 280x to give me all of it's Mh/s. Was stuck at 4 when it should have been 20+. Pixel patcher was working then, I unpatched everything and repatched a few times and the 3rd time it errored out. It says "Failed to create driver links."
I've been reading online and saw someone had success with deleting the driver links folder under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag-patched. Didn't seem to work. Can't find the debug file any longer. Not sure what to do at this point besides reinstall windows... Please help!!
10-17-2017, 07:02 PM
(10-15-2017 09:09 PM)1gcrazy Wrote:  Not sure where else to turn. I can't get pixel patcher to come back to life. I had it working as intended, was trying to get an R9 280x to give me all of it's Mh/s. Was stuck at 4 when it should have been 20+. Pixel patcher was working then, I unpatched everything and repatched a few times and the 3rd time it errored out. It says "Failed to create driver links."
I've been reading online and saw someone had success with deleting the driver links folder under C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag-patched. Didn't seem to work. Can't find the debug file any longer. Not sure what to do at this point besides reinstall windows... Please help!!
Show me a detailed screen shot of what's in the folder because that shouldn't happen unless something messed with the links. Then reboot to make sure no files are in use. Then delete C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atikmdag-patched and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\atikmdag-patched. That should let the patcher run again.
10-24-2017, 01:27 AM (Last edited: 10-24-2017, 01:36 AM by timescroll)
Last BETA driver and 17.10.2. broke Freesync mod were I set a freesync range of 30-74 while using a 75 hz resolution. Newest atipatcher does not seem to work. Instead of having a reange of 30-75 i get no Freesync support message . Seems Freesync range on HDMI block needs to Match monitor Hz to work and in this config i get the blanking problem anyway. Something wrong with new port limits ? Tried also the new atipatcher you posted @ToastyX
10-24-2017, 02:06 AM
(10-24-2017 01:27 AM)timescroll Wrote:  Last BETA driver and 17.10.2. broke Freesync mod were I set a freesync range of 30-74 while using a 75 hz resolution. Newest atipatcher does not seem to work. Instead of having a reange of 30-75 i get no Freesync support message . Seems Freesync range on HDMI block needs to Match monitor Hz to work and in this config i get the blanking problem anyway. Something wrong with new port limits ? Tried also the new atipatcher you posted @ToastyX
I have no idea what you're talking about. The patcher has nothing to do with FreeSync. What port limits are you talking about?