P2414H after OC problem.
03-14-2015, 09:08 PM
P2414H after OC problem.
Hi.
After overclocking my monitor to either 72hz or 80 hz everything works fine but the monitor goes black once per hour for about 1.5-2.5 seconds. On 60 hz there is no such behaviour. What to do?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2015, 11:33 PM
RE: P2414H after OC problem.
I have an idea. How to check if it's monitor turning of or is it video driver crashing and restarting?
03-17-2015, 11:37 AM
If the driver were crashing, Windows should tell you. Either the monitor can't handle the timing parameters, or there's a signal quality issue. If you're using DisplayPort, it could be interference from a nearby device like a cell phone, or it could be a bad cable.
03-17-2015, 02:37 PM (Last edited: 03-17-2015, 03:20 PM by donger)
(03-17-2015 11:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  If the driver were crashing, Windows should tell you. Either the monitor can't handle the timing parameters, or there's a signal quality issue. If you're using DisplayPort, it could be interference from a nearby device like a cell phone, or it could be a bad cable.

I overclocked it to 72hz by adding 72hz to standard resolutions so no timings were changed. I will check with another cable BUT i spotted something intresting. After like 50th turnoff there appeared a window from dell display manager with something called "dell smart video enhance". I was able to turn it off. Strange thing, there is no such option in the dell DM itself so i have no idea how to go back to that window. I think there is some kind of software bug that kicks this Smart garbage in and that's why the display goes black once in a while.

I will report if it is still going black after turning it off.

As you can see i am not the only one with this problem but there are 0 answers on google, just the problem description.
https://www.google.pl/webhp?sourceid=chr...urns%20off

Meh it still goes black...
03-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Don't add higher refresh rates at the native resolution as standard resolutions. That's like using the "CRT standard" timing option, which uses about 42% more bandwidth at 72 Hz than the default 60 Hz. The pixel clock might be higher than the monitor can handle. Use detailed resolutions and try the "LCD standard" timing option.
03-18-2015, 01:14 PM
(03-17-2015 10:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Don't add higher refresh rates at the native resolution as standard resolutions. That's like using the "CRT standard" timing option, which uses about 42% more bandwidth at 72 Hz than the default 60 Hz. The pixel clock might be higher than the monitor can handle. Use detailed resolutions and try the "LCD standard" timing option.

Ok thx. I wonder why some resolutions have +\+ and some +\-?

[Image: http://i.cubeupload.com/mzwkOg.jpg]
03-19-2015, 06:03 PM
Ok cool after setting what you said 72hz is working flawlessly. Some tips how to make the 80 hz work without screen blacking out? I used those settings:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +
03-20-2015, 02:31 PM
(03-18-2015 01:14 PM)donger Wrote:  I wonder why some resolutions have +\+ and some +\-?
That doesn't really matter. Most monitors can handle any sync polarity, so different standards chose different ones.

(03-19-2015 06:03 PM)donger Wrote:  Ok cool after setting what you said 72hz is working flawlessly. Some tips how to make the 80 hz work without screen blacking out?
Try to find the lowest values that the monitor can handle. Use multiples of 8 for horizontal values.
11-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone, hi ToastyX!

I've tried to overclock my Dell P2414H to 72Hz. My graphics card is an nVidia GTX 970 with the latest driver (355.82), and I use DP port.
This type of monitor theoretically can handle 72Hz easily.
And it works, but i have some issues.
I tried it with STANDARD TIMINGS and with CUSTOM TIMINGS TOO (with the following values):

Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

I set the resolution with CRU. If i would like to activate it, i have to choose 72Hz refresh rate (native resolution) in nVidia control panel too.
Then some games (like Crysis 3) works with 72Hz perfectly (VSync set fps to stable 72).
But some apps not. For exaple in Far Cry 4, i can set refresh rate to 72Hz in the garaphics menu of the game, and it works, but i have some frame skipping or something like that (the movement isn't perfectly smooth, there are some jammings all the time (inspite of I have stable 72 fps with Vsync).
In Mass Effect 3, the game set fps to 62 inspite of I've set refresh rate to 72Hz on CRU and nVidia control panel.
When I see http://www.testufo.com/#test=ghosting, it shows, that i have 60Hz and 60 fps, inspite of i set it to 72. There are jammings too.

What can be the problem?
07-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Sooo the monitor goes black because DELL is producing shit. The blacking out is caused by having option to disable light behind power button turned ON. After turning it off monitor is working just fine on 80hz on DP. They replaced my monitor 3 times already due to that blacking out but it didn't help!