Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-09-2013, 05:07 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
ToastyX

Can you please tell me what my options are as Nvidia has gone dark and we see no fix for lightboost surround after drivers 327.xx

I need to update drivers for certain games but cannot because it disables lightboost. Is a 3D vision kit my only answer? I spent 1K on these displays just 60 days ago and they only worked with lightboost for 2 weeks(same driver). Will a 3d IR emitter work for all 3 displays? Is it a pain in the ass to have it running 24/7 like I do with strobelight/lightboost? Will it work in windows and just not games? Sorry I could not find much info on 2D lightboost surround with a 3D vision kit. If this will solve my woes and I'm able to update drivers I'll buy it if it will last and its not too difficult to keep things in order. I love strobelight, run it 24/7 never have to alter a setting or change driver settings etc..Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Wait for NVIDIA to fix the problem. It affects more than just LightBoost. They are aware of the problem and have officially listed it as a known issue.

I don't know if the 3D Vision kit will work. I have never tested it.
11-09-2013, 08:23 AM
(11-08-2013 07:20 PM)stratox Wrote:  Perfect thanks!, for set 120hz in csgo is in launch options -refresh 120 right?
I'm not sure, but if you turn strobing off and the game starts with strobing on, then it's working.
11-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:That sounds like a defective monitor. The problem should not persist if you uninstall. Make sure none of the cable connections got loose, and try unplugging the monitor's power while it's powered on to reset the monitor.

So it seems like it's actually an AMD driver issue. That's a relief. Still irritating, but hey, at least my monitor isn't ruined. Also, thanks for producing this software, it really is most excellent.
11-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I can't seem to get this to work, I ran the setup and configured 120Hz Strobe and 144Hz non-strobe and everything but the Lightboost option in my VG278HE OSD is not available and there is no difference on any of the test sites either.

Might it have something to do with Windows 8.1 or something? I deleted GeForce Experience but it didn't make any difference.
11-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Hey,
First post and just registered to thank you for this introduction to strobelight. I came here by "accident" not knowing about LightBoost and the fact that I needed it :-) I just wanted to figure out what my newly purchased monitor (VG248QE) is capable of. But vow what a difference - best part is, I am no longer in doubt whether to get a GTX780 or a R290X to replace my current 580 - have to stay green with LightBoost Tongue

Thanks again!

/aerosign
11-10-2013, 12:21 AM
(11-09-2013 08:45 PM)RamGuy Wrote:  I can't seem to get this to work, I ran the setup and configured 120Hz Strobe and 144Hz non-strobe and everything but the Lightboost option in my VG278HE OSD is not available and there is no difference on any of the test sites either.
If the main strobelight.exe program starts without any errors, then there aren't any communication problems with the monitor and 3D mode is unlocked, so the problem is likely the refresh rates. Are the installed refresh rates listed in both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings? There shouldn't be any other refresh rates listed.

(11-09-2013 08:45 PM)RamGuy Wrote:  Might it have something to do with Windows 8.1 or something? I deleted GeForce Experience but it didn't make any difference.
Samsung Magician can also trigger the same driver bug if you have that installed. Windows 8.1 shouldn't be a problem. The only other thing is check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there aren't any mirror drivers or anything other than your video card.
11-10-2013, 07:17 AM (Last edited: 11-10-2013, 07:20 AM by mdrejhon)
Hello everyone,

Chief Blur Buster here.
I have successfully photographically captured the difference between LightBoost strobe brightness 10%, 50% and 100%.
PHOTOS: LightBoost 10% vs 50% vs 100%

[Image: http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/LightBoost_settings.jpg]
(specially configured settings at testufo.com/ghosting, using a pursuit camera)

The difference is subtle, and not always worth the tradeoff, but is useful if you want to tradeoff extra motion clarity for brightness. This is useful for ultra-fast FPS gaming (e.g. Counterstrike, Quake Live, Quake Arena, TF2 with 'Scout' character, Borderlands 2, etc) where the extra motion clarity of LB=10%/50%/100% is sometimes noticeable, especially with a high-quality gaming mouse during running at triple-digit framerates.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com
11-13-2013, 10:17 PM (Last edited: 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM by ClutchAutomatic)
I think there is a bug when playing videos from amazon prime using silverlight. When the monitor boots it switches to lightboost, then I can stream amazon prime content using silverlight. When I turn off light boost either keyboard or mouse controls, my screen turns to fuzz. The only way to fix this is to turn light boost back on. I disabled light boost from launch and it will work fine without lightboost. It only happens when I have light boost set up and then turn it off and try to stream a video.
Edit:
PC specs, asus rampage iv gene, 3930k, gtx 780 lightning, 16gb corsair vengeance pro, samsung 840 pro raid 0, corair h100i, windows 8.1 pro 64 bit, drivers up to date.
11-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Hello.

I like this tool!

But there is still a problem with beta 3.

I have a AMD Radeon 7950 with Catalyst 13.11 beta 9v2 and a BenQ 2720T 120hz Monitor running under Win 8.1 x64.

I installed the tool with all modes (60,100,101,120,121) and put the file into autostart.
Windows boots and after some seconds with 120hz normal mode i get a black screen and the 3d mode starts with strobelight mode on. The ufo test site works well and games are clear.

In the tool i can change 10-100% brightness, but i cannot use the key for strobelight off. I deinstalled and installed 3 times. Same issue.
Only going into monitor settings and choosing 60hz deaktivate strobelight. I do not see 101 and 121 there?! 100 and 120 give me strobelight mode on again and i can activate it with the tool too.

Any idea how i can get the tool switching strobelight on/off in booth directions???