Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
02-19-2014, 01:33 AM (Last edited: 02-19-2014, 02:07 AM by Cidd)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(02-18-2014 11:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 07:56 PM)Cidd Wrote:  My monitor on screen display still shows all the options to change my display setting when I'm in game. When I'm at my desktop the only thing I can change is Lightboost and Contrast. Thats what makes me think its not working when I'm playing games. Or does that not matter? Also the screen is not Dim when I play games like it is when I'm at the desktop. Any advice?
That means LightBoost isn't on, but I don't see why that would happen if it works on the desktop and the game is running at 120 Hz. Are the installed refresh rates listed in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings?

Yes, 120 and 121 are listed in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings. Also wondering if I need to be in full screen or windowed mode?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
3D Vision WITHOUT LightBoost???
Hey guys,

I want to do the opposite of everyone else-- I need to disable Lightboost completely. I bought a BENQ XL2420T so I can make stereoscopic animated movies. I did not know about LightBoost when I bought the monitor. I want to turn it off while still in stereoscopic mode.

The reason I want to disable LightBoost is that when it is on, there's a horrible pattern on the screen, it looks like someone slapped a dirty wet cloth over the front of the monitor. I don't know if this monitor is defective or what, but it looks absolutely dreadful. BENQ tech support did not reply to my inquiry.

Of course I downloaded both versions of strobelight, but I cannot get what I want. I take it this software was designed to enable Lightboost in non-stereo modes.

I mucked around with NVIDIA Control Panel, not knowing much about sync rates and back porches and such, and managed to get a 120Hz refresh at a slightly lower vertical resolution. I thought I was home free, but when I tried to play my movies in Stereoscopic Player, 3D Vision was not enabled and I could not go full screen.

Is it even possible to run 3D Vision on this monitor without Lightboost? If not, can someone recommend a good 120Hz monitor that DOES NOT HAVE LIGHTBOOST??? Or can I open up the monitor and snip some wire somewhere to kill this horrible thing?

Thank you

Aaron
02-19-2014, 08:39 AM
LightBoost is tied to 3D mode. If you unplug the monitor's power while it's in 3D mode, that will disable LightBoost, but you'll have to do that every time.

Only the older 3D Vision monitors such as the ASUS VG236H and the BenQ XL2410T don't have LightBoost.
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
(02-19-2014 01:33 AM)Cidd Wrote:  Yes, 120 and 121 are listed in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings. Also wondering if I need to be in full screen or windowed mode?
I don't see how LightBoost could be disabled unless it was actually using 121 Hz. Usually games don't try to force the highest refresh rate, so I don't know what to do about that. You could try the swapped version so 121 Hz activates LightBoost instead: https://www.monitortests.com/strobelight...wapped.zip
02-19-2014, 11:29 PM
(02-19-2014 08:39 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  LightBoost is tied to 3D mode. If you unplug the monitor's power while it's in 3D mode, that will disable LightBoost, but you'll have to do that every time.

Only the older 3D Vision monitors such as the ASUS VG236H and the BenQ XL2410T don't have LightBoost.

Thanks for that suggestion. Unplugging the monitor did disable LightBoost, and the picture looked good. But that also broke the 3D Vision sync. Although the transmitter lit up, and the glasses worked, they were out of sync with the monitor, phasing in and out, causing ghosting.

Any other ideas?

Aaron
02-20-2014, 01:42 AM
I don't know any way to enable stereoscopic 3D without LightBoost because the driver will try to enable 3D mode in the monitor which automatically activates LightBoost. You'll have to get one of the older 3D Vision monitors.
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
(02-20-2014 01:42 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't know any way to enable stereoscopic 3D without LightBoost because the driver will try to enable 3D mode in the monitor which automatically activates LightBoost. You'll have to get one of the older 3D Vision monitors.

Oh God, that sucks so completely.

"Progress"
02-22-2014, 05:37 PM (Last edited: 02-22-2014, 06:02 PM by victor.m)
Hey guys!

I have an Asus VG248QE and cannot get Strobelight to work! Wondering if there was any help.

I am using this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WA4EBU/?tag=mtests-20#ad

Which seems to support DDC/ID and whatnot, but strobelight refuses to change my monitor into LightBoost. I run the setup, select multiple modes including LightBoost modes, and then restart. I then run the main strobelight app, my screen turns off and back on, but LightBoost is not enabled. I try to enable it again via the ligth bulb icon, but my monitor just flickers and it goes back to not being enabled.

I am using nVidia's 334.89 driver.

Edit: Also worth mentioning my OSD tells me 3D-Mode is active and gives me the LightBoost option under Color options.

Thanks!!
02-23-2014, 12:37 AM
(02-22-2014 05:37 PM)victor.m Wrote:  Which seems to support DDC/ID and whatnot, but strobelight refuses to change my monitor into LightBoost. I run the setup, select multiple modes including LightBoost modes, and then restart. I then run the main strobelight app, my screen turns off and back on, but LightBoost is not enabled. I try to enable it again via the ligth bulb icon, but my monitor just flickers and it goes back to not being enabled.

I am using nVidia's 334.89 driver.

Edit: Also worth mentioning my OSD tells me 3D-Mode is active and gives me the LightBoost option under Color options.
That means LightBoost is active. What part isn't working? Are the installed refresh rates available in the Windows screen resolution settings?
02-24-2014, 12:38 AM (Last edited: 02-24-2014, 02:14 AM by gotrandom)
Lightboost is working well with me aside from the color degradation but that's to be expected.

However, occasionally like once every 5 minutes I get a crazy 0.5s Flicker of sorts across my whole monitor with lines then it goes back. It's random and super brief, but, was wondering if this was a known thing.