Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
10-17-2014, 01:32 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(10-15-2014 12:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 11:05 PM)yeel Wrote:  Just reinstalled my system from W8 to 7 and now i cannot get it to work. Its so wierd. First time i installed it something really wierd happend, my resolution got reset to 800x600 upon restart and i could not apply the settings to enable my second monitor. I reset my screen with the program and did it again and it seemed to work. I now have it installed and it says that strobing is on, but in the browser test i can clearly see that strobing is not enabled because the UFO's passing by are really choppy compared to before when i had it installed. Any tips?
What driver version are you using? Does using an older driver help?

Strobing off shouldn't cause choppy motion, only blurry motion. Make sure the UFO test is running at the correct frame rate.

I didnt actually find a fix for it, i just went back to Windows 8 and it worked perfectly on the first try.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2014, 06:32 AM
(10-14-2014 07:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-13-2014 05:47 PM)AlanhAkk Wrote:  After that I put the strobelight.exe in the startup folder and do the restart but here the problem begins: There is no strobelight.exe running or is it? I don't see any icon in my taskbar and hotkeys are not working, so I can't adjust LightBoost settings. Huh

I tried this several times but nothing happens.

I use an AMD R9 290 graphics card and tried even with new 14.9.1 Catalyst drivers, same result Undecided
Catalyst 14.9/14.9.1 has a bug that prevents Strobelight from running, but you should have received an error message.

I've added instructions to the main post on how to work around the problem.

Thanks ToastyX, now everything works fine! Smile
10-29-2014, 03:04 PM
The problem seems to be fixed in Catalyst 14.9.2: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...Notes.aspx
11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
uninstalling failed?
hello,

i have the feeling something went terribly wrong while uninstalling the utility.
i wanted to test lightboost on my benq xl2411t. everything worked fine, but i decided to stick to my 144hz without lightboost. so i uninstalled the way you explained.
the result:
i am not longer able to choose 120hz and 100hz in my nvidia control panel.
the only options left are 144hz and 60hz.
any ideas how to repair this? or did i just destroy my monitor? :x

regards
11-05-2014, 02:38 AM
Has Nvidia still not addressed this?
11-05-2014, 02:59 PM
(11-04-2014 06:21 PM)l8nite Wrote:  hello,

i have the feeling something went terribly wrong while uninstalling the utility.
i wanted to test lightboost on my benq xl2411t. everything worked fine, but i decided to stick to my 144hz without lightboost. so i uninstalled the way you explained.
the result:
i am not longer able to choose 120hz and 100hz in my nvidia control panel.
the only options left are 144hz and 60hz.
any ideas how to repair this? or did i just destroy my monitor? :x

regards
I don't see how that could happen. "Reset this display (uninstall)" removes the EDID override, which should restore the original refresh rates. This is a software issue, so the monitor would not be affected. Try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver using the clean install option, and if that doesn't help, use this to completely wipe the driver: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/
11-05-2014, 03:00 PM
(11-05-2014 02:38 AM)z1ppz Wrote:  Has Nvidia still not addressed this?
Addressed what? Surround? Unfortunately, EDID overrides have not worked properly with Surround since 331.40. NVIDIA still has not addressed the issue.
11-06-2014, 01:59 PM
(11-05-2014 02:59 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I don't see how that could happen. "Reset this display (uninstall)" removes the EDID override, which should restore the original refresh rates. This is a software issue, so the monitor would not be affected. Try reinstalling the NVIDIA driver using the clean install option, and if that doesn't help, use this to completely wipe the driver: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

it's working again, re-installing nvidia driver fixed it.
by doing this, I notice that I actually used a very old version (310.90).
11-06-2014, 02:15 PM (Last edited: 11-06-2014, 03:40 PM by roybiggens)
Toasty,

1 comment and a question for you.

First of all THANK YOU for this utility. I've been using it for months and I love it. I mainly play iracing and it completely changes that game for the better. Buttery smooth on 3xBenq XL2720T monitors @ 120hz.

Now for the question. I've been using an AMD R280x with the utility and of course it worked fine. I recently upgraded to a GTX 980 and I have the 344.48 drivers installed. I keep reading that the utility doesn't work with the newer drivers, but I have it installed and it appears to work fine for me. I can start it and it goes through the initialization phase, all three monitors then go black for a couple of seconds and then come back on. Once they come back on, the strobelight systray icon is active and I right click on it and choose 10%. When I do that, all three monitors darken some. I guess I'm confused, because to me it appears to be working fine with the newer drivers, or am I completely missing something ?

Thanks again!!
11-06-2014, 04:23 PM
(11-06-2014 02:15 PM)roybiggens Wrote:  Now for the question. I've been using an AMD R280x with the utility and of course it worked fine. I recently upgraded to a GTX 980 and I have the 344.48 drivers installed. I keep reading that the utility doesn't work with the newer drivers, but I have it installed and it appears to work fine for me. I can start it and it goes through the initialization phase, all three monitors then go black for a couple of seconds and then come back on. Once they come back on, the strobelight systray icon is active and I right click on it and choose 10%. When I do that, all three monitors darken some. I guess I'm confused, because to me it appears to be working fine with the newer drivers, or am I completely missing something ?
Is that with NVIDIA Surround enabled or are the monitors running separately? The newer drivers work fine if the monitors are running separately, but if you enable Surround, the installed refresh rates won't work properly anymore, or if they do work, they don't stick after rebooting. I don't have a way to test Surround myself, so I don't know if they've fixed anything, but people are still reporting problems with the newer drivers.