Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-20-2014, 06:37 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Hi ToastyX, nice tool you've developed here. Why does, in a VG248QE, does not appear strobed for 144hz? It appears for installing but regular, not strobed. Sorry if it is a repeated question.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Well, 144 hz can't strobe. 144hz isn't even an 'official' refresh rate; the only way to make it work is to use reduced timings (horizontal totals, porch, sync, etc) while lower refresh rates that DO work with Lightboost use normal timings (100, 110, 120hz). While some monitors do advertise 144hz, they all use reduced timings (overclocking, basically) to make it work.

Even in the brand new ROG Swift, 144hz will go out of scan range if you enter it as a detailed "Normal" resolution in CRU (overwriting the default one); you need LCD Reduced timings.

If you REALLY want to try to hack around it, enter this as a custom resolution:

1920x1080
Front porch 24,3
Sync width 32,5
Horizontal, Vertical total 1990, 1149.
Refresh rate: 144hz.

I take no responsibility if a black hole opens up in front of your face.
11-21-2014, 02:45 AM
(11-20-2014 06:37 PM)FedericoUY Wrote:  Hi ToastyX, nice tool you've developed here. Why does, in a VG248QE, does not appear strobed for 144hz? It appears for installing but regular, not strobed. Sorry if it is a repeated question.
LightBoost monitors can only strobe at 120/110/100 Hz. There's no way to enable strobing for 144 Hz.
11-22-2014, 07:05 AM (Last edited: 11-22-2014, 08:14 AM by falkentyne)
(11-21-2014 02:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-20-2014 06:37 PM)FedericoUY Wrote:  Hi ToastyX, nice tool you've developed here. Why does, in a VG248QE, does not appear strobed for 144hz? It appears for installing but regular, not strobed. Sorry if it is a repeated question.
LightBoost monitors can only strobe at 120/110/100 Hz. There's no way to enable strobing for 144 Hz.

Actually you can enable strobing at 144 hz (with a low horizontal total like 1190) but it's horribly broken in the most completely bizarre way.
It almost seems to split the screen in two (which doesn't make sense).
The backlight strobing itself SEEMS fine, the luminance is even across the screen, but the bottom half of the screen has what can only be described as MASSIVE massive jitter and 'split second repeated frame freezing' which almost looks like a bizarre strange ghosting trail in a way, but is the frame simply freezing repeatedly. The top half of the screen seems 'smooth and doesn't show that frame freezing' but feels like it's running at half the framerate (looks like 72 fps) AND looks like vertical sync is off.

the OSD reports 144 hz and 3d mode enabled. Unusuable.

The highest refresh rate that lightboost seems to work at is 121hz (but is buggy and causes pulsating backlight and frozen frames on the Benq 2720Z, but seems to work fine on the VG248QE).
11-28-2014, 10:41 PM
I'd like to start off by saying thanks for making this program! Now the issue...

I have two monitors, a S200HL at 60hz and my VG248QE at 120hz lightboost. The program installed correctly and works fine but if the 60hz monitor is on then the ufotest is blurry. If I turn the 60hz monitor off the UFO test is mostly smooth. Is there any workaround to turning my 60hz monitor off or do I have to live with this because of mismatched monitors?

AMD 7770
Intel HD 4770k OC'd to 4.0

Also, as a side note, i had an older version of AMD Catalyst (before 14.9) and the strobelight.exe wouldn't run and wouldn't give an error. Updating to the beta driver fixed it instantly. Just giving a heads up for other people with the same problem.
11-29-2014, 09:50 PM (Last edited: 11-29-2014, 09:51 PM by falkentyne)
(11-28-2014 10:41 PM)khoax Wrote:  I'd like to start off by saying thanks for making this program! Now the issue...

I have two monitors, a S200HL at 60hz and my VG248QE at 120hz lightboost. The program installed correctly and works fine but if the 60hz monitor is on then the ufotest is blurry. If I turn the 60hz monitor off the UFO test is mostly smooth. Is there any workaround to turning my 60hz monitor off or do I have to live with this because of mismatched monitors?

AMD 7770

Also, as a side note, i had an older version of AMD Catalyst (before 14.9) and the strobelight.exe wouldn't run and wouldn't give an error. Updating to the beta driver fixed it instantly. Just giving a heads up for other people with the same problem.

Is the refresh rate of the VG248Qe switching to 60hz? Does it say 3d mode when testufo is blurry? (the OSD should have most options disabled). You should be able to set the VG248 and the 60hz monitor to different refresh rates, but I don't think that's possible if you're running a surround setup. Ive had my Benq 2720Z hooked up through DVI and VG248 hooked up through HDMI in clone mode, and I was able to set display 1 and 2 separately. If you're running it in eyeinfinity though, I'm pretty sure that all screens must be at the same refresh rate and that's unavoidable (how would a game run at 120 FPS on one screen on the left side while the right side runs at 60 fps?)
11-30-2014, 03:14 PM
(11-28-2014 10:41 PM)khoax Wrote:  I have two monitors, a S200HL at 60hz and my VG248QE at 120hz lightboost. The program installed correctly and works fine but if the 60hz monitor is on then the ufotest is blurry. If I turn the 60hz monitor off the UFO test is mostly smooth. Is there any workaround to turning my 60hz monitor off or do I have to live with this because of mismatched monitors?
That's just a browser limitation. Mismatched refresh rates can affect the test. That won't affect games if vsync is off. With vsync, it's best to have matching monitors.
12-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Hi Toastyx,
im using 3 VG248QE connect to one ACCELL Displayport hub to enable eyefinity. Would be possible to active the lightboost using this hub?
12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
(11-30-2014 03:14 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 10:41 PM)khoax Wrote:  I have two monitors, a S200HL at 60hz and my VG248QE at 120hz lightboost. The program installed correctly and works fine but if the 60hz monitor is on then the ufotest is blurry. If I turn the 60hz monitor off the UFO test is mostly smooth. Is there any workaround to turning my 60hz monitor off or do I have to live with this because of mismatched monitors?
That's just a browser limitation. Mismatched refresh rates can affect the test. That won't affect games if vsync is off. With vsync, it's best to have matching monitors.

Ah, alright wasn't aware of that. Just to clarify, I wasn't stretching my browser across two monitors and all instances of my browser were running on the 120hz one. So your statement still runs true in this instance correct?

(11-29-2014 09:50 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  
(11-28-2014 10:41 PM)khoax Wrote:  I'd like to start off by saying thanks for making this program! Now the issue...

AMD 7770

Is the refresh rate of the VG248Qe switching to 60hz? Does it say 3d mode when testufo is blurry? (the OSD should have most options disabled). You should be able to set the VG248 and the 60hz monitor to different refresh rates, but I don't think that's possible if you're running a surround setup. Ive had my Benq 2720Z hooked up through DVI and VG248 hooked up through HDMI in clone mode, and I was able to set display 1 and 2 separately. If you're running it in eyeinfinity though, I'm pretty sure that all screens must be at the same refresh rate and that's unavoidable (how would a game run at 120 FPS on one screen on the left side while the right side runs at 60 fps?)

Although the situation was mostly cleared up with toastyx's post, this is just for the record. Yes, it still said 3d mode when the testufo was blurry. The refresh rates were correct for both monitors, at 60hz for the S200HL and 120hz for the VG248QE.
12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
(12-02-2014 11:23 AM)khoax Wrote:  Ah, alright wasn't aware of that. Just to clarify, I wasn't stretching my browser across two monitors and all instances of my browser were running on the 120hz one. So your statement still runs true in this instance correct?
Yes, it's basically a limitation with the way vsync is handled in the browser.