Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
03-05-2017, 10:38 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(03-01-2017 02:31 AM)Synthix Wrote:  So today I noticed that strobelight hasn't been working (who knows for how long, possibly as far back as a couple months since i installed windows 10) and I reinitilized while I was in a match of csgo, only to find that the second I did, I no longer have sound. No speakers, no headset, nothing. I reinstalled my drivers, uninstalled strobelight, checked all of my OS settings I could find... nothing. Great program, have had no complaints until now. But at this moment I am quite frustrated.

Edit: after a few more minutes of tinkering around I got it going again, but im still curious as to how it started in the first place. I had to tinker around between changing my default sound device between my speakers and headset which seems to be working temporarily
I don't know because Strobelight doesn't mess with audio. After unlocking LightBoost, the main program just acts as a refresh rate switcher.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2017, 10:42 PM
(03-01-2017 11:41 PM)PedroGomes Wrote:  I figured out that for Strobelight to work I need to disable Surround on the Nvidia control panel and then enable and reconfigure.

If I restart the PC Strobelight stops working with Surround and I need to disable Surround and reconfigure once more.
After LightBoost is unlocked, Strobelight just acts as a refresh rate switcher. Are the refresh rates only available after disabling and enabling Surround? If so, that needs to be reported to NVIDIA. I'm not sure if they care because this has been broken since 331.40.

(03-01-2017 11:41 PM)PedroGomes Wrote:  EDIT: By using CTRL+ALT+R or CTRL+ALT+S I can toggle Surround off and on and that enables Lightboost. However it would be great If when I switch from my single work monitor (a 4th one) to the triple surround setup Lightboost would enable on it's own. If anyone has an idea to get this working I'd sincerely appreciate it.
I don't know what you mean by switching from a single work monitor to the triple surround setup. How is the switching done? You didn't mention having a 4th monitor before. Are all the other monitors disabled when you switch to the 4th monitor? Strobelight wasn't designed to deal with switching display configurations, but Windows is supposed to remember the last refresh rate for each particular display configuration.

(03-01-2017 11:41 PM)PedroGomes Wrote:  EDIT2: I also noticed I can't select Strobing On or Off on the taskbar Icon, maybe that's related? Reinitialize Displays and the Brightness settings work.
Are the strobing options grayed out or do they just not do anything? The strobing options just change the refresh rate, so Strobelight needs to start after Surround is enabled to have the correct list of displays and refresh rates. Reinitializing after enabling Surround should also make the strobing options work.
03-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Hi ToastyX,

To answer your questions:

I can change between a single monitor (GL2460) and the Surround display (3 VG248QE 5760 x 1080 @ 120HZ strobed) in the Windows 7 resolution menu, there is s drop down list there for multiple monitors.

The strobing options are not greyed out, they just don't do anything. Later I found out that when I get the monitors to work with lightboost then the options do work.

Update:

I spent a few good hours testing all possibilities and if I boot Windows straight into the Surround setup or if I change from the single (4th) monitor to the Surround setup the monitors don't go into "Lightboost mode". If I boot Windows into a single Lightboost compatible monitor@120hz strobed, or change from the 4th monitor into one of them then it's all good and Lightboost starts working immediately.

What I do to get Lightboost to work on Surround is:
- Change to the Surround setup or boot with the PC with Surround already on (At this point I'm at 5760 x 1080 @ 120hz strobed but Lightboost isn't working)
- I press Ctrl+Alt+S (or+R) to change to a single monitor within the Lightboost compatible monitors and at this point Lightboost starts to work.
- I press Ctrl+Alt+S (or+R) to change the display back to Surround and Lightboost stays on and now everything is working fine.

It works fine ingame, there is no motion blur and the action is very smooth at 120 FPS.

Out of curiosity, gaming at 120 FPS and HZ how much input lag would be added by a strobed resolution?
03-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Hello Toasty are you working on a fix for the Relive 17.2 issue?
03-15-2017, 10:03 PM
(03-15-2017 03:25 PM)lghspd4me Wrote:  Hello Toasty are you working on a fix for the Relive 17.2 issue?
That's something AMD needs to fix. Report it to AMD here: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D23A3DE979
03-15-2017, 10:08 PM
(03-06-2017 12:28 AM)PedroGomes Wrote:  Out of curiosity, gaming at 120 FPS and HZ how much input lag would be added by a strobed resolution?
Strobing has to wait for the refresh to complete, so the middle of the screen would be delayed by about 4 ms at 120 Hz.
03-16-2017, 02:02 PM
I will try new AMD 17.3.2 now. maybe it is fixed. Changelog said nothing about it.
03-17-2017, 06:31 AM (Last edited: 03-17-2017, 06:45 AM by falkentyne)
(03-15-2017 10:08 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 12:28 AM)PedroGomes Wrote:  Out of curiosity, gaming at 120 FPS and HZ how much input lag would be added by a strobed resolution?
Strobing has to wait for the refresh to complete, so the middle of the screen would be delayed by about 4 ms at 120 Hz.

I believe it's 8.3ms + 4 ms.
120hz Lightboost is identical to 120hz Benq Blur Reduction with a vertical Total tweak of 1497-1502, with a Strobe Phase of 000 and Strobe Duty of 009. But Strobe phase 000 has up to 1 frame higher input lag than strobe phase 100 (without a VT Tweak) or Strobe Phase 041 (with a VT tweak), so it's probably 1 frame + 4ms. Many people complained about feeling input lag with Lightboost and with benq BR, but with a high strobe phase, it's gone Smile

TL;DR: The strobe seems to begin at the END of the current frame, rather than at the start of the current frame. This is done to minimize crosstalk at the bottom of the screen, since there must be a delay (as you said). I'll explain more about that later if anyone cares.
04-06-2017, 08:11 PM
thx for the info about the new radeon drivers :-)
04-11-2017, 11:13 AM
Hello everyone.
I used strobelight for a couple of years now without any issues.
But a few month ago my PC kinda stopped working because my GPU (R9 280X) didn't work anymore. Now I bought a new GPU (RX 480 4GB) and my PC works again.
the problem now is that strobelight doesn't do anything anymore, that means it is active, but it doesn't actually change anything. I don't know if the new GPU is the problem or something else.
I tried reinitializing the monitor, downloading the latest version and switching the strobe brightness.
Nothing worked so far. Any help?