Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
04-12-2017, 01:52 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(04-11-2017 11:13 AM)Valafar Wrote:  Hello everyone.
I used strobelight for a couple of years now without any issues.
But a few month ago my PC kinda stopped working because my GPU (R9 280X) didn't work anymore. Now I bought a new GPU (RX 480 4GB) and my PC works again.
the problem now is that strobelight doesn't do anything anymore, that means it is active, but it doesn't actually change anything. I don't know if the new GPU is the problem or something else.
I tried reinitializing the monitor, downloading the latest version and switching the strobe brightness.
Nothing worked so far. Any help?
Usually that means you need to reinstall the refresh rates using the setup program. If that doesn't help, make sure you're not using one of the broken drivers listed in the first post. What monitor do you have?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2017, 09:38 AM (Last edited: 04-12-2017, 07:52 PM by Valafar)
(04-12-2017 01:52 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-11-2017 11:13 AM)Valafar Wrote:  Hello everyone.
I used strobelight for a couple of years now without any issues.
But a few month ago my PC kinda stopped working because my GPU (R9 280X) didn't work anymore. Now I bought a new GPU (RX 480 4GB) and my PC works again.
the problem now is that strobelight doesn't do anything anymore, that means it is active, but it doesn't actually change anything. I don't know if the new GPU is the problem or something else.
I tried reinitializing the monitor, downloading the latest version and switching the strobe brightness.
Nothing worked so far. Any help?
Usually that means you need to reinstall the refresh rates using the setup program. If that doesn't help, make sure you're not using one of the broken drivers listed in the first post. What monitor do you have?

I am using a Asus VG278HE Monitor with DVI, since it doesn't have Displayport. I tried using a DP DVI adapter to check if DVI is the issue.
But now strobelight says that no 120Hz display got found.
I also reinitialized and downloaded the latest driver from the first page (17.4.2) without any success.
When I choose refresh rates in the setup, I chose 120Hz (strobed) and 121 Hz. (Not sure if that could matter in any way)
04-13-2017, 01:41 AM
(04-12-2017 09:38 AM)Valafar Wrote:  I am using a Asus VG278HE Monitor with DVI, since it doesn't have Displayport. I tried using a DP DVI adapter to check if DVI is the issue.
I also reinitialized and downloaded the latest driver from the first page (17.4.2) without any success.
When I choose refresh rates in the setup, I chose 120Hz (strobed) and 121 Hz. (Not sure if that could matter in any way)
You can't use a DP-DVI adapter unless it's one of those expensive dual-link adapters, and you won't be able to initialize the monitor with the adapter either. If you're able to run Strobelight with DVI directly, then the monitor is already initialized anyway. If the strobing options don't do anything, then it's probably a refresh rate issue. After installing the refresh rates and rebooting, are 120 Hz and 121 Hz both available in the Windows display adapter settings?
04-16-2017, 04:58 PM
(04-13-2017 01:41 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 09:38 AM)Valafar Wrote:  I am using a Asus VG278HE Monitor with DVI, since it doesn't have Displayport. I tried using a DP DVI adapter to check if DVI is the issue.
You can't use a DP-DVI adapter unless it's one of those expensive dual-link adapters, and you won't be able to initialize the monitor with the adapter either. If you're able to run Strobelight with DVI directly, then the monitor is already initialized anyway. If the strobing options don't do anything, then it's probably a refresh rate issue. After installing the refresh rates and rebooting, are 120 Hz and 121 Hz both available in the Windows display adapter settings?

Well I figured that the adapter doesn't work already as well, so I guess that's the problem, on the first page you say that the RX cards dont work properly with DVI. Also I checked the windows display adapter settings and both 120 121 Hz is available, 120 ist checked.
04-17-2017, 12:46 AM
(04-16-2017 04:58 PM)Valafar Wrote:  Well I figured that the adapter doesn't work already as well, so I guess that's the problem, on the first page you say that the RX cards dont work properly with DVI. Also I checked the windows display adapter settings and both 120 121 Hz is available, 120 ist checked.
If both are available, then the refresh rates are installed properly. Is the monitor strobing at 120 Hz? If not, you might need to reset the monitor by unplugging the monitor's power for a few seconds and then reinitialize the monitor, but this can't be done with DVI on RX-series cards at the moment.

You mentioned Strobelight was active but not changing anything, which is strange because if you were having the communication issue, it should say "No compatible displays found." If not, maybe your card is not affected by the issue.

Strobelight doesn't need to be running for strobing to work. It simply initializes the monitor and then acts as a resolution switcher. If the monitor is already initialized, you should be able to toggle strobing simply by switching refresh rates.
04-23-2017, 11:06 AM
How long is initializing meant to take? im currently on pass 23000+, I have a BenQ xl2430t if that helps
04-23-2017, 10:41 PM
(04-23-2017 11:06 AM)Scuri Wrote:  How long is initializing meant to take? im currently on pass 23000+, I have a BenQ xl2430t if that helps
The XL2430T is not compatible with Strobelight. Only the monitors listed in the first post are supported.
06-04-2017, 03:31 AM (Last edited: 06-04-2017, 03:33 AM by LightBoost)
I can't find anything about this, but do I need to have the program running? I don't have strobelight in my startup folder and I don't run it either. However, it seems like it's working? The brightness is lowered and the UFO test (seems?) to work at the installed refresh rate.
06-04-2017, 07:37 PM
(06-04-2017 03:31 AM)LightBoost Wrote:  I can't find anything about this, but do I need to have the program running? I don't have strobelight in my startup folder and I don't run it either. However, it seems like it's working? The brightness is lowered and the UFO test (seems?) to work at the installed refresh rate.
The point of strobelight.exe is to unlock LightBoost if necessary and then stay running in the background to handle keyboard shortcuts. If LightBoost is already unlocked and you don't want the hotkeys, then it doesn't need to be running. If you rename the file to strobelight-init.exe, it will only unlock LightBoost if necessary and then quit.
07-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Hi, sorry for my English but I'm Spanish and I'm studying. My problem is that I have been using this application for 8 months without any problems and today I suddenly have artifacts with the image moving. I have a gtx 1060 and Acer GN246HL. When I choose any non-strobe resolution it works fine. What could have happened? Thanks.