Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-19-2013, 06:42 PM (Last edited: 08-22-2013, 06:14 PM by mdrejhon)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(08-15-2013 02:09 PM)blizzars Wrote:  Ahh, so it is probably synchronized with my other monitor, which is why it is only reading 60Hz.
Yes, the web browser can also have problems with mixed multimonitor setups. Temporarily disable all 60Hz monitors when testing TestUFO on a 120Hz monitor. Also, Internet Explorer does not support 120Hz. Please use Google Chrome, FireFox 24+, or Opera 15+ with http://www.testufo.com

The list of supported browsers are at http://www.testufo.com/browser.html

P.S. LightBoost can eliminate so much motion blur that stutters/tearing becomes so much easier to see, and actually end up making LightBoost worse instead of better.
To fix this problem, and to get the same fluidity experience in games, as in TestUFO:
(1) Run framerate locked framerate=Hz. 100fps@100Hz or 120fps@120Hz.
(2) Enable Adaptive VSYNC (less lag) or use VSYNC ON (more lag)
(3) Adjust game details until you don't get many framedrops. Use FXAA instead of FSAA, etc.
(4) Upgrade GPU so you have no framedrops or few framedrops.
(5) Upgrade mouse so you have no mouse microstutters. Good 1000Hz mouse can turn left/right as perfectly as keyboard strafe left/right.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Great job you did with this program.

But I have a question for you.
When using Strobelight the black equalizer fonction on my 2420T is not available. Why?

It's a very nice option that I will like to be available in strobe mode.

?
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM (Last edited: 08-19-2013, 09:37 PM by mdrejhon)
(08-19-2013 06:48 PM)crazyronny Wrote:  Great job you did with this program.
Yep, he did a great job. Just so you know -- I did quite a lot of debugging of Strobelight for BENQ monitors, I'm the main reason that Strobelight is compatible with BENQ monitors. Smile

Quote:When using Strobelight the black equalizer fonction on my 2420T is not available. Why?
That's a monitor vendor decision to disable picture adjustments during LightBoost mode. There is nothing we can do about this, except to recommend adjusting in-game gamma to compensate. (There is also the color profile and cpkeeper method, but that is a hack)
08-21-2013, 02:02 PM (Last edited: 08-21-2013, 02:03 PM by crazyronny)
(08-19-2013 09:36 PM)mdrejhon Wrote:  
(08-19-2013 06:48 PM)crazyronny Wrote:  Great job you did with this program.
Yep, he did a great job. Just so you know -- I did quite a lot of debugging of Strobelight for BENQ monitors, I'm the main reason that Strobelight is compatible with BENQ monitors. Smile

Quote:When using Strobelight the black equalizer fonction on my 2420T is not available. Why?
That's a monitor vendor decision to disable picture adjustments during LightBoost mode. There is nothing we can do about this, except to recommend adjusting in-game gamma to compensate. (There is also the color profile and cpkeeper method, but that is a hack)

Thanks to you for making it compatible with BENQ Wink

I do not know how to adjust this and don't really want to mess nothing... so I will live with no Black equalizer for now Undecided
(And no hack never for me... )
08-21-2013, 06:52 PM
I had to register an Account just to say thank you very much for your hard work.
08-22-2013, 07:22 AM (Last edited: 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM by dmbr)
Hello, thanks for your work!

I'm having a confusing problem...

The app installed seemingly fine, but, when I set it to "Strobing On", my monitor reports 3D Mode as being enabled, but the "strobe brightness" control ceases to work. Strangely, when I set it to "Strobing Off" the "strobe brightness" control works! Does this mean that when it is set to "off" it is in fact "on", since the brightness control functioning indicates that the strobe feature is active?

I'm bashful to say that I'm really not sure whether or not either mode is making a difference, or if what I'm detecting is placebo. I do want to get to the bottom of this though Smile

Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

GPU: AMD Radeon 5850
Monitor: Asus VG236HE
08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
(08-22-2013 07:22 AM)dmbr Wrote:  GPU: AMD Radeon 5850
VG236HE does not support LightBoost.
Strobelight won't help you.

(08-22-2013 07:22 AM)dmbr Wrote:  I'm bashful to say that I'm really not sure whether or not either mode is making a difference, or if what I'm detecting is placebo. I do want to get to the bottom of this though Smile
If you meant you had a VG248QE, then view http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo in Chrome browser while enabling/disabling LightBoost. The difference is dramatic in this pattern. Fast panning photos becomes as perfectly sharp as stationary photo.

Now, if you only have a VG236HE, you will see no difference. Upgrade your monitor first.
08-22-2013, 07:44 PM (Last edited: 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM by dmbr)
(08-22-2013 06:14 PM)mdrejhon Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 07:22 AM)dmbr Wrote:  GPU: AMD Radeon 5850
VG236HE does not support LightBoost.
Strobelight won't help you.

(08-22-2013 07:22 AM)dmbr Wrote:  I'm bashful to say that I'm really not sure whether or not either mode is making a difference, or if what I'm detecting is placebo. I do want to get to the bottom of this though Smile
If you meant you had a VG248QE, then view http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo in Chrome browser while enabling/disabling LightBoost. The difference is dramatic in this pattern. Fast panning photos becomes as perfectly sharp as stationary photo.

Now, if you only have a VG236HE, you will see no difference. Upgrade your monitor first.
Ah, I thought being 3D-ready qualified it. Bummer Sad

My GPU qualifies though, yes? I think I might have to upgrade to a BenQ monitor if so...

Thanks so much for your work and helpfulness, again!
08-23-2013, 04:19 PM (Last edited: 08-23-2013, 04:32 PM by SeNsEi)
Hi all, new to this scene Smile

I recently ordered a XL2420T and plan to lightboost hack it. I was hoping someone could confirm that I'm not overlooking anything in terms of compatibility.

Monitor: BenQ XL2420T
Computer: Sager NP9370 Laptop with AMD Crossfire 7970m's (no switchable graphics in this laptop)
Connection used: DisplayPort 1.2 port

Am I overlooking anything? My monitor is scheduled for delivery next friday.

Thanks!

P.S. I've seen people mention websites on forums where users post their optimal color/saturation/etc. settings for monitors post-lightboost hack. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I've been stuck to playing counterstrike on my 60hz laptop screen using 200 saturation in CCC for better in-game distinguishing.
08-24-2013, 06:38 PM (Last edited: 08-25-2013, 12:05 AM by puzzled120hz)
Small issue here. I have an XL2720T and an HD6950. Lightboost is working wonderfully, UFO Test says "valid" and I can clearly see the difference.

But I am experiencing some weird shadows/artifacts(?) at the bottom of my screen when I am scrolling(in browser) or moving(in game).
It only happens at the bottom of the screen. It disturbs me the most in games and when browsing facebook.
I tried to take a photo of the effect to give you a better idea.

Perhaps it is normal? It's only happening when lightboost is on.

http://i.imgur.com/dKfrDAs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ksQiRpr.jpg