PG278Q Hz Problem, need help please
08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
RE: PG278Q Hz Problem, need help please
Hello my friend thanks again,

Sorry but I think you are wrong, do you have seen the specs of my asus g750jx? It's a thunderbolt port, and if it wasn't 1.2 , the Asus VG248QE wouldn't have work either, and never get the 144Hz

Now, I heard about cables mini displayport thunderbolt comparible, to displayport, and I don't know if it's that.

Regarding drivers, has I said, I tried from 340 version, till the last one avaliable on Nvidia, nothing worked, can't pass the 100Hz.

I appreciate your atention my friend, thank you really.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2015, 02:50 AM
The VG248QE does not require DisplayPort 1.2 to get 144 Hz. In fact, it will even work with dual-link DVI.

Bandwidth is limited by pixels per second, not refresh rate. 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz is not the same as 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz.
08-03-2015, 08:47 AM
I think your problem is the thunderbolt port, but that seems to be fully mini-DP. I had to google just to find out what it is. Did you contact Asus about your issue?
When you try to activate the external display (PG278), are you clicking the option to disable the laptop display or is the laptop display still in use? I don't know how this works; I have an old Geforce 570m laptop (MSI) and it just has HDMI and VGA.

Sorry if that doesn't help. The problem isn't the monitor, though.
08-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Thank you my friends for all your answers, i´m going for the last resort, and buy some thunderbolt cable to displayport, i really don´t understand what is going on, an neither Asus or Nvidia do, so i guess i´m going to try it....i´ll feedback when i´m done.....

By the way, does someone know where can i get a Thunderbolt cable to displayport, or an adapter?

Thank you all in advance
09-04-2015, 04:22 AM
You just don't seem to get it. It's not just the refresh rate that dictates how much bandwidth you need. It's a combination of bandwidth AND resolution.

A 640 x 480 resolution display at 400Hz uses less bandwidth than a 1920 x 1080 display at 60hz.

I did your homework for you and found your laptop's specs. Here is a link.
http://www.arp.com/medias/14482489.pdf

It also specifically mentions your displayport's version. It is 1.1a. It is NOT 1.2, which is MANDATORY for running a 1440p at 144hz. Your displayport is not modern/fast enough to run your PG278Q at its native 2560x1440 @ 144hz.

Your laptop is absolutely not capable of running this monitor at 1440p 144hz. Sorry. Get something newer to drive the monitor.
09-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I think you just saved that guy a ton of money too.
Thunderport cables can go up into the hundreds of dollars if you get them long enough.

But yeah. (Most) laptops are not designed to drive 4k and 1440p monitors at 144 hz. They're designed for their own screens and secondary connections for a convenience. Some high end gaming laptops from just a few years ago didn't even come with DVI ports! (just hdmi and vga; vga is analog and can be run at full specifications).

These monitors are extremely new, so finding laptops that can drive them is extremely difficult. Displayports on laptops were usually made for business oriented laptops, and they were the older standard.

If you want a laptop that can drive these new monitors, you need to shell out money for a very recent one.

Sager has some:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Note...773-S.html

Pretty sure the MSI ones do also, but their website doesn't list the DP version. Pretty safe to assume it's 1.2 as it's the same video hardware as the Sager.

http://us.msi.com/product/notebook/GT72-...cification