NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
09-25-2020, 11:32 AM (Last edited: 09-25-2020, 11:57 AM by stimpy88)
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
Hello ToastyX, I have just this morning received a new Club 3D CAC-1510 USB-C to Dual-Link DVI adaptor to use with my QNIX QX2710 Monitor. I have connected it to my RTX2070 card, and it seems to work, all the way up to 115Hz @ 2560x1440p. All this without using your fantastic utility, so far!!!

However, I am having problems with the nVidia control panel not letting me select 120Hz, (which the monitor is capable of, with a GTX970 using a native DVD-DL connection) as it looks to be fine, and gives me the usual dialogue box asking me if I want to keep this resolution etc, which I click yes on, however the control panel does not "save" this in the list of available resolutions, as if I did not press yes. Do you think this is an nVidia bug, or does my display driver need to be patched with your utility?

I'm using Windows 10 2004, and nVidia v452.06 Drivers

(I have no idea if your utility even works, or has an effect on USB-C!)

UPDATE: I've just tried the v456.38 drivers, with no change in behaviour.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2020, 01:02 PM
(09-25-2020 11:32 AM)stimpy88 Wrote:  Hello ToastyX, I have just this morning received a new Club 3D CAC-1510 USB-C to Dual-Link DVI adaptor to use with my QNIX QX2710 Monitor. I have connected it to my RTX2070 card, and it seems to work, all the way up to 115Hz @ 2560x1440p. All this without using your fantastic utility, so far!!!

However, I am having problems with the nVidia control panel not letting me select 120Hz, (which the monitor is capable of, with a GTX970 using a native DVD-DL connection) as it looks to be fine, and gives me the usual dialogue box asking me if I want to keep this resolution etc, which I click yes on, however the control panel does not "save" this in the list of available resolutions, as if I did not press yes. Do you think this is an nVidia bug, or does my display driver need to be patched with your utility?
You are probably hitting a bandwidth limitation. You probably need to stay under 476 MHz pixel clock. That should be possible if you reduce the vertical total to 1450. Also, it's likely the color depth is only 6 bpc beyond 357 MHz, but it shouldn't be too noticeable if it's dithering.
09-25-2020, 01:41 PM
(09-25-2020 01:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-25-2020 11:32 AM)stimpy88 Wrote:  Hello ToastyX, I have just this morning received a new Club 3D CAC-1510 USB-C to Dual-Link DVI adaptor to use with my QNIX QX2710 Monitor. I have connected it to my RTX2070 card, and it seems to work, all the way up to 115Hz @ 2560x1440p. All this without using your fantastic utility, so far!!!

You are probably hitting a bandwidth limitation. You probably need to stay under 476 MHz pixel clock. That should be possible if you reduce the vertical total to 1450. Also, it's likely the color depth is only 6 bpc beyond 357 MHz, but it shouldn't be too noticeable if it's dithering.

YES! You were right. I set the Vertical Pixels to your value, and this time it saved the settings fine. So now it's running at 120Hz!

It's a shame nVidia removed the USB-C from the 3000 series, as this has been the only way for me to get more than 60Hz out of this RTX2070 since I bought it 2 years ago. I had given up, and decided to find a new monitor, but I just cant find anything tangibly better than this QNIX. The PC monitor market is glacial in many respects.

I need to figure out how to find out what bitdepth my monitor is running at now. It looks ok, but now I have to know! lol

Many thanks for your help! I will send you a beer!
09-29-2020, 02:37 AM (Last edited: 09-29-2020, 02:40 AM by ZeekOCE)
Hey so i need some help. I run the patcher and patch values, then i restart my computer and only one monitor works and all nvidia drivers are uninstalled and i have to reinstall my drivers, reinstalling drivers then gets rid of the patches. I cant seem to find a fix

(09-29-2020 02:37 AM)ZeekOCE Wrote:  Hey so i need some help. I run the patcher and patch values, then i restart my computer and only one monitor works and all nvidia drivers are uninstalled and i have to reinstall my drivers, reinstalling drivers then gets rid of the patches. I cant seem to find a fix

Sorry turns out its RIOT Vanguard blocking the patcher and not letting me do it. Is there any way around that. I have a 144hrz monitor however have to use DVI to HDMI due to not having the right ports (monitor: BENQXL2411, GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070) so im trying to get the right hrz somehow
10-01-2020, 03:27 PM
(09-29-2020 02:37 AM)ZeekOCE Wrote:  Sorry turns out its RIOT Vanguard blocking the patcher and not letting me do it. Is there any way around that. I have a 144hrz monitor however have to use DVI to HDMI due to not having the right ports (monitor: BENQXL2411, GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070) so im trying to get the right hrz somehow
I don't have a solution for Vanguard. They are blocking the patched driver because of the included certificate, but there's no way to make the modded driver load without the certificate except in test mode, which they also block.
10-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Help when I run the patcher the nvidia control panel dissapears. I turned off vanguard of valorant and other games. no apps are on startup. How to fix?
11-26-2020, 02:46 PM
Just a heads up. I tried upgrading from 446.14 to 456.38 and the monitors I had connected via displayport/hdmi adapters were detected and enabled but were displaying a corrupted image.

When reinstalling driver version 446.14, v1.4.13 of the pixel clock patcher did not work, with the same image corruption occurring. Using v1.4.9 of the patcher allowed all of the monitors to function as they used to.
11-26-2020, 03:23 PM
(11-26-2020 02:46 PM)Jochim Wrote:  Just a heads up. I tried upgrading from 446.14 to 456.38 and the monitors I had connected via displayport/hdmi adapters were detected and enabled but were displaying a corrupted image.

When reinstalling driver version 446.14, v1.4.13 of the pixel clock patcher did not work, with the same image corruption occurring. Using v1.4.9 of the patcher allowed all of the monitors to function as they used to.
The only difference with the new version is I had to reduce the HDMI-DVI limit because it was being used to control the single-link to dual-link switchover on RTX 2000-series GPUs, which messed up dual-link DVI compatibility. If you don't need dual-link DVI, you can rename the patcher to nvlddmkm-patcher-sl.exe to restore the old behavior.
11-26-2020, 03:43 PM
(11-26-2020 03:23 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-26-2020 02:46 PM)Jochim Wrote:  Just a heads up. I tried upgrading from 446.14 to 456.38 and the monitors I had connected via displayport/hdmi adapters were detected and enabled but were displaying a corrupted image.

The only difference with the new version is I had to reduce the HDMI-DVI limit because it was being used to control the single-link to dual-link switchover on RTX 2000-series GPUs, which messed up dual-link DVI compatibility. If you don't need dual-link DVI, you can rename the patcher to nvlddmkm-patcher-sl.exe to restore the old behavior.

Huh that's odd. All three monitors are 2560x1440p QNIXs without scalers so I'd need dual-link DVI. GPU is a 2080 super, the two monitors on passive adapters weren't working, the one with the active adapter was fine.

I'll try testing again later to confirm it wasn't just a fluke/mistake.
11-26-2020, 03:57 PM
(11-26-2020 03:43 PM)Jochim Wrote:  Huh that's odd. All three monitors are 2560x1440p QNIXs without scalers so I'd need dual-link DVI. GPU is a 2080 super, the two monitors on passive adapters weren't working, the one with the active adapter was fine.
You said you were using DisplayPort/HDMI adapters. Passive adapters are single-link, and the patcher shouldn't affect the active adapter.