NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
09-12-2012, 02:34 AM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
(came here from 120hz.net)

just wanted to post that i cannot get it working on win8 rp. have gtx680.

installed 306.02 win8 64-bit version clean.
ran the patcher, patched.
-> option 1: run dseo, sign, enable test mode, reboot, nvidia control panel gone and system says it does not detect any compatible cards.
-> option 2: go into advanced settings, disable driver signature enforcement, reboot, nvidia control panel gone and system says it does not detect any compatible cards.

any ideas? tia.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2012, 04:04 AM
I haven't tested it with Windows 8, but if it's like Windows 7, I can only think of two possibilities: either DSEO is not signing the file, or test mode is not enabled. If test mode is working, you should see the "Test Mode" watermark on the desktop.

To check if DSEO is signing the file:

1. Open C:\Windows\System32\drivers
2. Right-click nvlddmkm.sys and choose "Properties"
3. Under the "Digital Signatures" tab, the signer name should be "NGO" if it was signed by DSEO

If the signer name is "NVIDIA Corporation" instead, then DSEO is not signing the file for some reason. If that's the case, I don't have a solution right now. If I can figure out the code signing APIs, I will try to incorporate code signing into the patcher because a couple of people have had trouble with DSEO not signing the file.
09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
I have never seen the 'test mode' watermark....

In any case, I have verified that it is signed by NGO, and have successfully added a custom res via the nvidia control panel.

Of course, I lose the settings after reboot. While Win8 natively allows you to disable driver signature enforcement, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to hold. When I check the file after the reboot, yes, it has reverted back to being signed by Nvidia Corporation (or perhaps the nvidia signed file replaces it on startup when doing a regular reboot and not a 'disable driver signature enforcement' reboot. the timestamp on the file changes.)
09-12-2012, 06:27 AM
That's weird. It shouldn't just replace the file like that. I hope they didn't implement some sort of protection for driver files. I'd have to test Windows 8 to see what's going on.

Try opening an elevated command prompt (run as administrator) and enter this:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON

Then patch/sign/reboot and see if it sticks.
09-12-2012, 02:13 PM
well that seemed to do the trick!

right-click on desktop and nvidia control panel is back on the list.
File still says NGO signed.
Test Mode watermark shows up now indicating DSEO is doing its job!

rebooted twice and same thing, so I'm going to assume it's locked in now.

thanks =)
09-23-2012, 05:37 AM
hm i'm having some probs with this version and 306.23 and win8.

borderlands2 keeps crashing (driver recovered errors). reinstalled 306.23 and did not apply patch and bl2 is just fine again.
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Is this with a single-GPU setup? I don't see why that would happen.

Can you apply the patch again to make sure? If it still crashes, you don't need to reinstall the driver. Just run the patcher again to restore from backup, then try patching with 1.0 again (and sign C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys with DSEO): https://www.monitortests.com/nvlddmkm-patcher-1.0.zip
09-28-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm getting the same thing after reboot.. lose nvidia control panel, 800x600 res.. my the digital signature says "Pixel Lock Patcher"

If I run the patcher again it wont allow me to restore as it cant find the cards?

win 7, sli evga gtx 570 classifieds
09-28-2012, 10:21 PM
The patcher signs the file for you now, so "Pixel Clock Patcher" is correct. Running the patcher again should let you restore from backup. It looks for the driver file, not the cards. If you still can't get it to restore, then just reinstall the driver.

Did you enable test mode using testmode.exe? Some people are having trouble enabling test mode for some reason. You can get the driver to load by pressing F8 during startup and choosing "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" from the boot menu. The problem is without test mode, you have to do that every time.

The testmode.exe program already tries these two commands:

bcdedit /set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit /store C:\Boot\BCD /set TESTSIGNING ON

If the boot store is on another drive, then you will have to open a command prompt as administrator and set it manually.

You can also try ReadyDriver Plus, but I have not tested it.
10-01-2012, 07:24 AM (Last edited: 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM by NightFox)
Thumbs Up RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
I think you need to update the first post