Nvidia surround lost after shutdown
10-23-2019, 06:06 PM (Last edited: 10-23-2019, 06:07 PM by smolly)
Nvidia surround lost after shutdown
I see a lot of real videocard and monitor knowledge over here, hope someone can help me.
I have 3 similar freesync monitors (MAG 271CQR) all connected via DP to a Nvidia RTX graphics card. It is possible to setup surround even with G-sync and all is working in the game.
But each time after a shutdown of the PC the surround is lost, I'm at the point of returning the monitors as I'm starting to get nightmares about re-configuring surround.
I've been in contact with the Nvidia help desk but they now start talking about testing with another PC or re-installing windows. But I do not have another PC and the windows install is 2 wks old, it seems they have no clue.

Anybody over here an idea?

Thx and regards,
Roger
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2019, 01:20 AM
RE: Nvidia surround lost after shutdown
That has to be an NVIDIA driver bug. Try turning off fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pro...rtup-mode/

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling the latest NVIDIA driver after using DDU to completely uninstall the current driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

If that still doesn't help, I would bother NVIDIA support some more. You shouldn't have to reinstall Windows or return your monitors because of a driver bug.
10-24-2019, 10:54 AM (Last edited: 10-24-2019, 10:55 AM by smolly)
(10-24-2019 01:20 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  That has to be an NVIDIA driver bug. Try turning off fast startup: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pro...rtup-mode/

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling the latest NVIDIA driver after using DDU to completely uninstall the current driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-

If that still doesn't help, I would bother NVIDIA support some more. You shouldn't have to reinstall Windows or return your monitors because of a driver bug.

Thank you, I will check the fast startup this evening. But I believe to have already disabled it due to problems with sleep.
I just noticed that there is a new driver, the previous one I installed after using DDU (in safe mode). This evening I will do the same with the new driver and keep you posted.
10-24-2019, 05:45 PM
- installed v440.97 after using DDU in safe mode.
- configured surround on the 3 monitors and did not activate the 4th monitor.
- 2 restarts and surround remained working nicely. (btw fast startup was already disabled)
- shutdown and startup --> all 4 monitors active and no surround ?!? :-(

I checked some details with CRU, and copied the screenshots in attached file.
Is the detailed resolution for the NV Surround "driver" as expected? Is the range limit missing? Anything weird?

Thanks

Attached File(s)
.docx  screenshots.docx (Size: 180.53 KB / Downloads: 370)
10-24-2019, 11:01 PM
It's strange that a restart would work but not shutting down. Try doing the opposite and turn fast startup on. I don't know what the "NV Surround" entry is for, so I can't comment on what's expected.

The only other idea I have is something I haven't ever tried, so I don't know if it will work. First, disable Surround. Then in CRU, use the "Edit..." button to edit the ID serial number for each monitor. Give them each unique numbers like 1, 2, 3. Then add an extension block and set the type to DisplayID. Then add a tiled display topology data block. Set the number of tiles to (3, 1), and set the tile location for each monitor to (1, 1), (2, 1), (3, 1). Make sure the tile size is the monitor's resolution and the ID serial number matches each monitor (CRU should have already filled these in). Leave everything else alone. Do this for each monitor. Then save everything and reboot. See if NVIDIA listens to that and makes the monitors act like one monitor without actually using Surround.
10-25-2019, 09:35 AM (Last edited: 10-27-2019, 12:40 PM by smolly)
Hi ToastyX,

Have not tried your idea yet, but I will and come back on it.
Edit (27oct): Tried the tiles idea, but unfortunately it does not work, seems no difference in behavior before and after.

Today I tried another PC, using DDU to be sure before installing. Result surround lost after 2nd restart, reconfigured several times and lost every time.
Tried also a GTX1060, the card initially in the PC. Using DDU before re-installing.
As the card does not have 3x DP out, I connected one monitor with DP and a second with HDMI.
Configured surround for 2 monitors, restart and surround lost.

With all the tests I now did, it can only be either the Nvidia driver or some strange behavior of the monitor(s) at PC startup the Nvidia driver cannot handle.
But the Nvidia driver should be able to handle this behavior I would think.
Now is the question when and if it will be solved?
Any experience from Nvidia resolving issues?