Overclocking a dell u2414h help please
03-14-2014, 05:13 AM
Overclocking a dell u2414h help please
Hello,

I've recently got the dell u2414h and I've heard of others overclocking the monitor to 80hz, as well as the lower tier model, the p2414h that apparently uses a near identical panel.

I've tried using the following timings from the overclock.net forum

Quote:Use displayport connection.
In windows 8.1:
Press Win + R and type: CustomModeApp
Set accordingly:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

80Hz no frame skipping

These timings don't seem to work for me and I get an out of range error, but I don't have access to Displayport. I've tried with my HDMI cable from the monitor that goes to a mini-hdmi port on my GPU.

Would HDMI essentially be the same procedure at displayport, or is some type of hdmi limitation holding me back compared to displayport? Would the timings be different for different connections types between HDMI and Displayport?

I've tried using CRU for this and left it at manual, but as I mentioned, it doesn't work. I've managed to get it up to 74hz doing nothing but changing the refresh rate in CRU with manual timings at default.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2014, 05:54 AM
RE: Overclocking a dell u2414h help please
(03-14-2014 05:13 AM)gamer Wrote:  Would HDMI essentially be the same procedure at displayport, or is some type of hdmi limitation holding me back compared to displayport? Would the timings be different for different connections types between HDMI and Displayport?
The procedure is the same and the timings work the same way, but the monitor can have different limitations with different types of ports. The monitor might be able to handle 80 Hz with DisplayPort but not with HDMI.
03-14-2014, 06:56 AM
(03-14-2014 05:54 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 05:13 AM)gamer Wrote:  Would HDMI essentially be the same procedure at displayport, or is some type of hdmi limitation holding me back compared to displayport? Would the timings be different for different connections types between HDMI and Displayport?
The procedure is the same and the timings work the same way, but the monitor can have different limitations with different types of ports. The monitor might be able to handle 80 Hz with DisplayPort but not with HDMI.

Would the same limitations apply using some form of a converter cable like this?
03-14-2014, 07:12 AM
You can't use a cable like that. That cable is meant for connecting DVI monitors to DisplayPort. It won't work the other way around.
03-15-2014, 01:59 AM (Last edited: 03-15-2014, 02:07 AM by gamer)
(03-14-2014 07:12 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You can't use a cable like that. That cable is meant for connecting DVI monitors to DisplayPort. It won't work the other way around.

What about this then? Just one more question if you don't mind, Toasty. Why is my GPU not downclocking during idle operations after overclocking the monitor refresh rate? Is there anything I can do fix it?

thanks for your time
03-15-2014, 07:20 AM
HDMI is the same as single-link DVI. You can't convert HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort with a passive cable. You need a video card with DisplayPort.

You didn't mention what video card you have. AMD cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle, but the monitor might not be able to handle that at higher refresh rates. NVIDIA cards can handle some lower values, but not too low.
03-16-2014, 12:42 PM
(03-15-2014 07:20 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  HDMI is the same as single-link DVI. You can't convert HDMI or DVI to DisplayPort with a passive cable. You need a video card with DisplayPort.

You didn't mention what video card you have. AMD cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle, but the monitor might not be able to handle that at higher refresh rates. NVIDIA cards can handle some lower values, but not too low.

I have an Nvidia card. I just bumped up the vertical total pixels up by 4 and now the GPU is idling normally. Is it safe this way, or should I manually find the correct value for the vertical blanking?

Thanks
03-16-2014, 06:50 PM
(03-16-2014 12:42 PM)gamer Wrote:  I have an Nvidia card. I just bumped up the vertical total pixels up by 4 and now the GPU is idling normally. Is it safe this way, or should I manually find the correct value for the vertical blanking?
That's fine. There isn't a "correct" value. There's just a minimum value depending on the resolution and refresh rate.
03-16-2014, 11:49 PM
(03-16-2014 06:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 12:42 PM)gamer Wrote:  I have an Nvidia card. I just bumped up the vertical total pixels up by 4 and now the GPU is idling normally. Is it safe this way, or should I manually find the correct value for the vertical blanking?
That's fine. There isn't a "correct" value. There's just a minimum value depending on the resolution and refresh rate.

Alright, thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it. Heart
11-26-2014, 03:01 AM
Hi,

I'm taking this topic to ask some questions about a similar problem with P2414H

I have and IGPU Intel HD4000 and i can't enter a custom resolution in advanced mode in Intel's software.

[Image: E0Ldh6o.png]

As you can see the horizontal column works good giving a total of 2035 but the vertical doesn't work properly, always gives 15, no matter what i enter on "Vertical Active" it won't move the value. Any idea why?

I've tried CRU and it doesn't work either, tried a couple of values and nothing appears in the refresh rate menu.

Thanks in advance.