Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-26-2015, 07:38 AM (Last edited: 09-01-2015, 09:32 PM by Wizard)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(08-24-2015 12:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Monitors don't need drivers. Monitor "drivers" are just information files, and most don't do anything useful other than set the device name and maybe install a useless color profile, which can be done separately through the color management control panel. EDID overrides are part of the monitor information in the registry, but installing a monitor driver shouldn't interfere with that because most monitor drivers don't have EDID overrides, and strobelight-setup.exe would override that anyway. I just installed the ASUS VG248QE Windows 8 WHQL driver just to make sure.
That's good to know. And thank you for testing that for me too. I'm still a bit new to technical stuff about monitors and drivers. I'm more of a software person.

(08-24-2015 12:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The graphics driver processes the override, so this wouldn't be a Windows issue. What scaled resolutions did you add? The graphics driver automatically adds some common lower resolutions as scaled resolutions even if they are not defined. Most of the lower resolutions defined by the ASUS VG248QE should already exist by default.
Actually I didn't even know windows added scaled resolutions by default. The main reason I even add any are so that I can tell NVIDIA to use Display - No Scaling instead of GPU - No Scaling in the control panel, as I heard a rumor that having the GPU selected at all increases input lag. I guess it would be a good idea to just use the strobelight defaults, as I also heard that having too many resolutions will cause the entire EDID override to be ignored, which (I hope) may be the case here, since I'm all out of ideas tbh.

(08-24-2015 12:45 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  It's normal for there to be one other inactive entry because it switches to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver while restarting. If it keeps creating more and more entries, then something weird is going on.

Looks like you were right about that, I investigated by going into Device Manager and found a couple of hidden monitor devices, so I just removed them and CRU stopped showing that.

I'm still confused as to how this could be a driver problem since I can't be the only one running windows 10 on an nvidia card with the latest driver. And if it's some sort of corruption within the driver then how is that even possible when I completely reinstalled my drivers with DDU? The only logical explanation that I can think of is some software I'm using is interfering, but I turned all my startup software off, unless something is running behind the scenes.

At this point I'd just like to know why it's happening, even if I can't fix it. I know running restart.exe isn't that big of an issue, what I'm worried about is that there's something wrong with my setup, since no one else is having this issue, that worries me.

EDIT: Question: Why does device manager show a hidden unused device for my VG248 whenever I restart it? This hidden device in CRU has the default EDID profile associated with it. For testing purposes, I have a different monitor set as my default monitor, because you told me that Windows would create an inactive display because of the safe mode. But when it's in safe mode, it now uses the default monitor, which isn't the VG248 anymore, but the VG248 is still creating that inactive display. Could this be the issue?

EDIT2: I used CRU to override the EDID for another monitor, and it also wasn't applied on boot. I had to run restart64.exe for it to use the override. Another indication it's a driver problem?

EDIT3: Rebooted today, and for some reason I did not need to run restart64.exe. The only difference I noticed is that wifi had some weird error that required me to reconnect, but I doubt that's relevant.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
3D Vision WITHOUT LightBoost??? - weasel - 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: GeForce 344.11 - jayache80 - 10-06-2014, 02:25 AM
uninstalling failed? - l8nite - 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA - Wizard - 08-26-2015 07:38 AM
ASUS MG248Q - TeddyTries - 12-24-2019, 04:27 AM