Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-15-2021, 09:23 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Yes am able to set desktop to the the DSR resolution (although it looks slightly blurry due to scaling I guess). When changing refresh rate it still behaves the same as if the game can't get priority, flickering back and forth then minimizing,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2021, 09:41 PM
Hi. Hoping for some help with CRU on a new Surface Book 3 (13" w/Nvidia graphics).

In CRU, I made a new Detailed Resolution - 2560 x 1440. It worked the very first time. After that, it does not work. When I reboot, I'm sure the computer restarts normally except the screen stays black.

I booted into Safe Mode, ran the "reset-all.exe" to clear it, then the computer works normally again. But, of course, the custom res is not available.

I've tried it several times with the Timing set to Manual, Automatic(PC), CVT-RB2, Exact, and Exact reduced. Same results for each one.

Any insight would definitely be appreciated.
01-15-2021, 11:21 PM
(01-15-2021 09:41 PM)random_surface_user Wrote:  Hi. Hoping for some help with CRU on a new Surface Book 3 (13" w/Nvidia graphics).

In CRU, I made a new Detailed Resolution - 2560 x 1440. It worked the very first time. After that, it does not work. When I reboot, I'm sure the computer restarts normally except the screen stays black.

I booted into Safe Mode, ran the "reset-all.exe" to clear it, then the computer works normally again. But, of course, the custom res is not available.

I've tried it several times with the Timing set to Manual, Automatic(PC), CVT-RB2, Exact, and Exact reduced. Same results for each one.

Some people reported getting a black screen specifically with the Surface Book 3, which makes me suspect a driver bug. Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then use CRU to export a file and attach it here. Does the problem happen if you make ANY change? Try something simple like changing the monitor name.
01-16-2021, 01:20 AM (Last edited: 01-17-2021, 12:05 AM by random_surface_user)
(01-15-2021 11:21 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 09:41 PM)random_surface_user Wrote:  Hi. Hoping for some help with CRU on a new Surface Book 3 (13" w/Nvidia graphics).

Some people reported getting a black screen specifically with the Surface Book 3, which makes me suspect a driver bug. Run reset-all.exe and reboot. Then use CRU to export a file and attach it here. Does the problem happen if you make ANY change? Try something simple like changing the monitor name.

Interesting. I just changed the Display Name and that also causes the problem. So, you're right. It seems to be a problem if I make ANY change in CRU.

Could this be related to the fact that the Surface Book has 2 GPUs? (A basic Intel GPU for tablet mode and the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard section for laptop mode.)

I exported a file from CRU and attached it here.

Thanks very much.
01-16-2021, 02:05 AM
(01-16-2021 01:20 AM)random_surface_user Wrote:  Interesting. I just changed the Display Name and that also causes the problem. So, you're right. It seems to be a problem if I make ANY change in CRU.

Could this be related to the fact that the Surface Book has 2 GPUs? (A basic Intel GPU for tablet mode and the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard section for laptop mode.)
That shouldn't matter. EDID overrides work with laptops with switchable graphics, so there's some issue specific to the Surface Book 3. I don't see anything unusual in the EDID. The only significant difference is CRU doesn't include the range limits by default. Try enabling "Include if slot available" under range limits. Does that make a difference? If not, search the registry for "EDID_OVERRIDE" and delete any "CRU_" values. Does that make a difference?
01-16-2021, 08:36 AM
(01-15-2021 09:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 04:11 AM)Bob321 Wrote:  I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620, laptop with a 1920x1080, updated to the latest drivers. I ran CRU (administrator), to add a new detailed resolution, modifying the frame rate, while copy-pasting everything else from my default profile. I then ran restart64.exe, but could not find the new profile in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Is my computer incapable of overclocking its panel? Or am I doing something else wrong?
The driver seems to be ignoring the override. Try the alternative method.
Alternative method (.exe "Install EDID") not working with Intel Graphics 530, monitor Samsung B2230. Any alternative to reset/overwrite driver?
01-16-2021, 01:07 PM
(01-16-2021 08:36 AM)Mio Wrote:  Alternative method (.exe "Install EDID") not working with Intel Graphics 530, monitor Samsung B2230. Any alternative to reset/overwrite driver?
Try this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29972
01-16-2021, 11:51 PM
(01-16-2021 02:05 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-16-2021 01:20 AM)random_surface_user Wrote:  Interesting. I just changed the Display Name and that also causes the problem. So, you're right. It seems to be a problem if I make ANY change in CRU.

That shouldn't matter. EDID overrides work with laptops with switchable graphics, so there's some issue specific to the Surface Book 3. I don't see anything unusual in the EDID. The only significant difference is CRU doesn't include the range limits by default. Try enabling "Include if slot available" under range limits. Does that make a difference? If not, search the registry for "EDID_OVERRIDE" and delete any "CRU_" values. Does that make a difference?

"Include if slot available" did not make any difference. I really don't know how to work with the registry. But, using regedit, I did a search for "EDID_OVERRIDE" and it didn't find anything.

->HOWEVER<- It looks like I've found a successful workaround.

Most of the time, I’m working with an external display. So, I tried setting this up with the external display connected, taking the laptop screen out of the equation. And it worked. Here are the steps:

-Close laptop.

-Connect external display and USB mouse/keyboard via USB-C Hub. Wake computer. It’s now working like a desktop - it’s only using the external display, since the laptop is closed.

-Using CRU, add the new detailed resolution. (I used the Manual timing).

-Restart computer. Do not open the laptop. Leave it connected only to external display until reboot is finished.

-After reboot, the custom resolution is available in Windows Settings, but ONLY when the external display is connected. After this, it’s OK open the laptop and use the laptop screen. The custom resolution is available and does work on the laptop screen, but ONLY if the external display is connected. That’s OK for my needs. If I ever need to use the custom resolution when I’m traveling, I have a 4K Headless adapter, which tricks the computer into thinking there is an external display connected.

ToastyX, I sincerely appreciate your support and responsiveness. Maybe this info will help future Surface Book 3 users.
01-17-2021, 07:54 AM
(01-16-2021 01:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-16-2021 08:36 AM)Mio Wrote:  Alternative method (.exe "Install EDID") not working with Intel Graphics 530, monitor Samsung B2230. Any alternative to reset/overwrite driver?
Try this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29972
Installed it, no big help. Still not showing my new profiles. Irony is my second monitor have all profiles that I created showing up, just this B2230 that nothing happens.
01-17-2021, 03:01 PM (Last edited: 01-17-2021, 04:32 PM by nihaomiao)
Using CRU disables freesync in my Radeon Software (says not supported)

Monitor: asus vg245h
HDMI (monitor only has HDMI, no displayport)
5700 XT latest drivers
Win10

I'm simply adding a new 1080p profile with 75hz, also tried changing the 60hz one to 75hz, did it via extension blocks as well.

After restarting the pc or using the restart64, radeon greys out the freesync. It says my freesync range is 40-75hz, so it should work, no?
It's annoying because vsync sets my FPS to 60 because of this. Using the custom resolution feature in Radeon doesn't fix this (despite making sure the display is set to 75hz). Making the change in CRU fixes it but then freesync is disabled.
I remember CRU working just fine with a year ago with my RX580 (and older drivers obviously but with AMD i don't really have the luxury of using older drivers given how broken they were for the 5700 XT)