AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
02-05-2014, 09:40 AM
RE: AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
(02-05-2014 04:23 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Does that happen at 60 Hz with the patch? Are you using two CrossFire bridges?

It seems that 60hz does indeed work with the patch. I also attached a second CrossFire bridge, which allows 120hz to work as well! I had problems with two bridges on my old 5870 CrossFire setup a couple of years back, so I guess I just assumed that would be the case here and never tried it out. Thanks for the help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 04:56 AM (Last edited: 02-07-2014, 11:24 AM by Kanaru)
I have an HD 7950, Qnix 2710, latest beta Catalyst drivers.

I am having issues with video playback, particularly with flash videos in Firefox (it stutters in Chrome, but it displays) and Media Player Classic. Video shows as black, but audio plays. There might be more issues but I haven't tried much beyond this.

I used the latest version of the patcher. It doesn't matter what refresh rate I am at, the video issue is present as long as the patcher is in effect. I can apply the patcher without making any custom resolutions and the issue will occur. That said, I'm having no issues with getting to 120Hz when it is applied, so I'm happy that works at least.

I tried the latest release version of Catalyst and 1.2.2 of the patcher with no luck. I posted on Reddit about this issue and I had someone tell me that they have the same video card/monitor/catalyst version, but they used 1.2.0. I can't manage to find a download for it, but I think I'd like to try that.

Otherwise, I have no idea why this is happening or how I can fix it.

Thank you.

Edit: It really varies. I opened a .mp4 and it doesn't work for example (just audio), but .avi works fine. At least from the two files I tried.

Edit 2: I used the 1.1.2 patcher and have the same issue.

Edit 3: I've been informed that the patcher breaks DXVA hardware acceleration and this is what is causing my issues. Is this planned to be addressed? One thing I was really looking forward to was watching video @ 120 FPS. :\
02-08-2014, 03:25 AM
(02-07-2014 04:56 AM)Kanaru Wrote:  I am having issues with video playback, particularly with flash videos in Firefox (it stutters in Chrome, but it displays) and Media Player Classic. Video shows as black, but audio plays. There might be more issues but I haven't tried much beyond this.
The video playback issues are described in the main post.

Flash videos should work if you disable hardware acceleration (right-click on any Flash object and click "Settings...").

Media Player Classic should work as long as you disable DXVA in the decoder and have the appropriate codecs installed. If you're using LAV filters, set hardware acceleration to "None" in the LAV video settings.

(02-07-2014 04:56 AM)Kanaru Wrote:  Edit 3: I've been informed that the patcher breaks DXVA hardware acceleration and this is what is causing my issues. Is this planned to be addressed? One thing I was really looking forward to was watching video @ 120 FPS. :\
It's a content-protection issue. Hardware acceleration and HDCP will not work if the driver has been modified. I can't get around that, but most video playback issues have workarounds. SVP works at 120 Hz with OpenCL acceleration.
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM (Last edited: 02-11-2014, 08:49 PM by mdrejhon)
Robbie,

I've made a new guide:
Blur Busters 1440p 120Hz IPS/PLS Displays Guide

It refers to several of your utilities (CRU, Pixel Clock Patcher).

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
Owner of BlurBusters.com and TestUFO.com
02-19-2014, 04:40 AM
Same as others, I am having video playback issues. It is caused by the gpu hardware acceleration, but instead of black or green screens, my whole monitor turns into "static" and I can't see anything until I restart the computer. I've been getting around this by manually disabling hardware acceleration on everything I could (Flash, Chrome, Firefox, VLC, etc.) but it is still a hassle to do it every time I come across something that just happens to use hardware acceleration, plus I have to restart.

Is there any other way around this? Maybe have the gpu not try to do hardware acceleration ever?
02-19-2014, 08:17 AM
(02-19-2014 04:40 AM)MingoDynasty Wrote:  Same as others, I am having video playback issues. It is caused by the gpu hardware acceleration, but instead of black or green screens, my whole monitor turns into "static" and I can't see anything until I restart the computer.
That's a separate issue unrelated to the patch. Are you overclocking the video card's memory clock?

If the vertical blanking/total is too low, the memory clock is not supposed to change because there's not enough time between refreshes to switch memory clocks without screen corruption. The problem is AMD cards are programmed to switch clock profiles when video acceleration is active, so the memory clock switches back to stock and corrupts the screen.

Either use the "LCD standard" timing option in CRU to set the vertical blanking/total high enough to allow the memory clock to change, or don't overclock the memory clock.
02-26-2014, 05:33 AM (Last edited: 02-26-2014, 05:53 AM by Shogun)
Hi Toasty.

I'm planning to upgrade my gpu from my dual 7970 to 2x R9 290.

I'm using the AMD 13.12 drivers, your patch clock driver as well, everything ok on my qnix.

What is the word with the R9 290?
Those cards don't use crossfire bridges and also, what should i do once i install the new graphics card?
Do i need to load again your clock patcher or re-install the drivers again?

The current 13.12 can be used for many kind of AMD series, the R9 29X is part of it.

Thanks a lot
02-26-2014, 06:48 AM
(02-26-2014 05:33 AM)Shogun Wrote:  What is the word with the R9 290?
Those cards don't use crossfire bridges
Supposedly they work fine without the bridges: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...30#pid1530

(02-26-2014 05:33 AM)Shogun Wrote:  Do i need to load again your clock patcher or re-install the drivers again?
You don't have to reinstall the driver because Windows should do that automatically when it sees the new hardware. You might have to use the device manager to scan for hardware changes if that doesn't happen automatically.

After the driver is reinstalled, you will probably have to apply the patch again and add the resolutions back with CRU.
02-27-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm also experiencing the black video problem people have reported but I'm getting it with HTML video and hence, no disable hardware acceleration. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
02-27-2014, 04:53 PM
(02-27-2014 03:22 PM)Pascual Wrote:  I'm also experiencing the black video problem people have reported but I'm getting it with HTML video and hence, no disable hardware acceleration. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?
What browser? Can you link to one of these videos?

Try the Windows Media Center workaround first. Then install the appropriate codecs. The K-Lite Codec Pack includes the most common codecs.