Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
02-16-2014, 07:07 PM (Last edited: 02-16-2014, 07:31 PM by lawson67)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(02-16-2014 06:17 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  * means an override was saved.
** means an extension block override was also saved.

You should have ** if you imported blank-extension.dat.

Thanks for your help 'ToastyX i now believe not deleting the overrides is what was coursing my problems with windows resolution not always being able to always see my custom resolutions made via NVCP....thank you very much for your time and help with this problem Big Grin

BTW is there anyway i donate to you for all your help and support with your software?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2014, 08:49 PM
I have a PayPal link here:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you find this software useful, donations are welcome.
02-17-2014, 01:05 AM (Last edited: 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM by lawson67)
(02-16-2014 08:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I have a PayPal link here:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you find this software useful, donations are welcome.

X3 times donation made and thank you for your continued support with your fantastic software Big Grin
02-17-2014, 02:10 AM
(01-22-2014 07:29 PM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 05:30 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 04:04 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 01:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 02:31 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  But to answer your question, at the default HDMI resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz audio always works and I do not have to use any dat files. It only fails when I use my custom resolution without a dat file. Any idea why that happens? My Dell U3011 supports a max resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz. If I do not use the dat file, I have to uncheck the extension block in order to get my custom resolution to work.
That's because audio support is defined in the extension block, so it needs to be enabled for audio to work. AMD's driver also listens to the HDMI pixel clock limit in the extension block, which is why the file is needed to for the custom resolution to work with the extension block enabled. The file overrides the limit and includes the audio support information. The limit override only works with some monitor/GPU combinations, which is why the patch is needed in some cases.

Looks like checking GPU scaling was causing the issue. The "no audio over HDMI" came back and unchecking GPU Scaling in CCC immediately fixed the issue without even rebooting the PC. Have you seen this behavior before?

That wasn't it. Lost audio again after a reboot. However, Checking/Unchecking GPU scaling restores audio immediately. I am going to put the HD 6750 back in and see how it does. Looks like this 7750 may be having issues, which is unfortunate.

Experienced the same issue with both cards. Must be an AMD driver issue at this point.

Whenever I lose audio, all I have to do is check or uncheck "Enable GPU scaling" click apply, the screen flashes black then my desktop and audio comes back. I usually lose audio after a reboot and I have to repeat the process explained above. Any thoughts on this behavior, Toasty?
02-18-2014, 02:13 AM
Is it possible to remove support for every refresh rate except for 144Hz for the monitor? The reason I want it - there's plenty old good games that are always running in 60Hz mode even after trying RefreshLock and PowerStrip. I used my own custom INF file for driver before on a CRT to force it to support only 100Hz in it's native resolution and it worked fine.
Now I tried CRU, edited the only one detailed resolution changing it from 60Hz to 144Hz with Auto timing, but after restarting driver I still have all modes supported including 60Hz and below Sad

Benq XL2411T
AMD Radeon HD7950
02-18-2014, 07:45 AM
(02-18-2014 02:13 AM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Is it possible to remove support for every refresh rate except for 144Hz for the monitor? The reason I want it - there's plenty old good games that are always running in 60Hz mode even after trying RefreshLock and PowerStrip. I used my own custom INF file for driver before on a CRT to force it to support only 100Hz in it's native resolution and it worked fine.
Now I tried CRU, edited the only one detailed resolution changing it from 60Hz to 144Hz with Auto timing, but after restarting driver I still have all modes supported including 60Hz and below Sad
Yes, it's possible. Disable the extension block, and make sure you are using "LCD reduced" timing for 144 Hz.
02-18-2014, 08:01 AM
(02-17-2014 02:10 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  Whenever I lose audio, all I have to do is check or uncheck "Enable GPU scaling" click apply, the screen flashes black then my desktop and audio comes back. I usually lose audio after a reboot and I have to repeat the process explained above. Any thoughts on this behavior, Toasty?
That sounds like a driver bug. Changing the GPU scaling option seems to cause the driver to reload the EDID override, which means nothing is wrong with the override itself.

Does restarting the driver work around the problem? https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip

If that works, rename restart64.exe to restart-only.exe to skip the dialog, and try putting it in the Startup folder to run it automatically after rebooting.
02-18-2014, 05:04 PM
(02-18-2014 07:45 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 02:13 AM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Is it possible to remove support for every refresh rate except for 144Hz for the monitor? The reason I want it - there's plenty old good games that are always running in 60Hz mode even after trying RefreshLock and PowerStrip. I used my own custom INF file for driver before on a CRT to force it to support only 100Hz in it's native resolution and it worked fine.
Yes, it's possible. Disable the extension block, and make sure you are using "LCD reduced" timing for 144 Hz.
Thanks! I did it, but I've only lost the 80/100/120hz rates. 60hz and lower are still available as supported resolutions Sad

Benq XL2411T
AMD Radeon HD7950
02-18-2014, 06:37 PM
(02-18-2014 05:04 PM)Dragonheart Wrote:  Thanks! I did it, but I've only lost the 80/100/120hz rates. 60hz and lower are still available as supported resolutions Sad
Make sure "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is enabled in the Windows screen resolution advanced settings. It should only list 144 Hz.

Sometimes the Catalyst Control Center will still list the hidden modes after setting that option, but if you try to set one of them, they should disappear. The hidden modes shouldn't be available to games.
02-19-2014, 04:37 AM
The new Nvidia update seems to be incompatible with CRU now. Everytime I turn it on now, it's a bad signal monitor.