Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
07-01-2014, 05:27 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
You can get lightboost to work manually. You need to use EITHER a 3d vision kit with Nvidia hardware (including laptops gpus) or you need to use the NVidia 3d vision emulator (you can find it), along with the INF override (use both--it will be called "3d vision discover" in the control panel test), and then add manually the 1147 or 1149 resolution vertical total. Then you simply hit test. If the monitor led at the lower right turns on and is green, then your lightboost is initialized, then any computer with a 120 hz, 1149 vertical total should cause the monitor to go into lightboost mode.

After testing both LB and benq blur reduction at the same time on the same monitor, BBR wins hands down. Lightboost, on the Asus screens looks MUCH better (besides the color and brightness/gamma locks/tints), but that isn't because of lightboost at all--it's because Asus' tracefree overdrive implementation is MILES better than Benq's AMA. With Benq, you are going to get OD artifacts regardless of if you are testing in LB mode or BBR mode...if you use the 1502 vertical total tweak and 0.5ms persistence (in the Blur busters tool), BBR actually looks better than LB mode in all ways. But Benq's AMA causes overdrive artifacts regardless. And Benq's AMA is pretty bad.

If you move around text on the VG248QE (lightboost), the text is MUCH, MUCH clearer and cleaner.....MILES better. Asus tracefree is hands down the best overdrive implementation.

Gsync isn't as good in the ghosting dept since that doesn't use asus hardware anymore. But regardless, Asus really needs to make their OWN blur reduction tech and use their tracefree and have it tweaked like the 1502 VT (or just have it accelerated scanout......that would be the monitor to get unless u wanted gsync....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2014, 07:31 PM (Last edited: 07-02-2014, 01:45 AM by Xhiril)
Issues with Lightboost since I installed Samsung Magician 4.4
Got it working after a redeploy.
07-13-2014, 01:32 AM (Last edited: 07-13-2014, 01:33 AM by Blergblargl)
After installing and later uninstalling Strobelight, Nvidia stereoscopic 3D is permanently unusable. All games are so choppy as to be unplayable. Exiting out of the game doesn't end the monitor's 3D mode like it's supposed to. The only way to play a fullscreen game is to disable 3D. Is there anything I can do? And no, I can't install a non-strobed 120hz mode because that option doesn't show up for some reason.

I've run setup and "uninstalled" from there several times, restarting each time. This literally does nothing. Strobelight.exe doesn't even exist anywhere on my computer any more. It's not, nor has it ever been, a startup program. I've purged the registry of any instance of the word "strobe". I've done a total wipe of my nvidia drivers, uninstalled my monitor driver from device manager, and unplugged the monitor to clear the RAM. I don't know what the hell Strobelight did but it's here forever.

Please tell me how to actually uninstall it because the instructions do nothing at all. I want to use my expensive 3D glasses.
07-13-2014, 07:13 PM
(07-13-2014 01:32 AM)Blergblargl Wrote:  After installing and later uninstalling Strobelight, Nvidia stereoscopic 3D is permanently unusable. All games are so choppy as to be unplayable. Exiting out of the game doesn't end the monitor's 3D mode like it's supposed to. The only way to play a fullscreen game is to disable 3D. Is there anything I can do? And no, I can't install a non-strobed 120hz mode because that option doesn't show up for some reason.

I've run setup and "uninstalled" from there several times, restarting each time. This literally does nothing. Strobelight.exe doesn't even exist anywhere on my computer any more. It's not, nor has it ever been, a startup program. I've purged the registry of any instance of the word "strobe". I've done a total wipe of my nvidia drivers, uninstalled my monitor driver from device manager, and unplugged the monitor to clear the RAM. I don't know what the hell Strobelight did but it's here forever.

Please tell me how to actually uninstall it because the instructions do nothing at all. I want to use my expensive 3D glasses.
The strobelight-setup.exe program only installs an EDID override for the monitor. Nothing else is modified on the system. The main strobelight.exe program doesn't make any changes to the system.

If uninstalling didn't remove the override for some reason, try running the reset-all.exe program that comes with CRU: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...tility-CRU

Uninstalling the monitor from the device manager should have also removed the override. If the problem is still happening after all that, then the problem has nothing to do with Strobelight.

If you use DDU to completely wipe the NVIDIA driver, that should remove everything. There's no reason for any issues to stick after that.
08-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I have AOC g2460fq 144hz, but unfortunately doesn't work Sad
Radeon 6850 / windows 7 64b, is the fault monitor or it can be somehow set
Debug:
[2014-08-09 13:31:14.169] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = ERROR 126
[2014-08-09 13:31:14.171] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll") = SUCCESS
[2014-08-09 13:31:14.178] LOAD(AMD): ADL_Main_Control_Create() = SUCCESS
[2014-08-09 13:31:14.179] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = ERROR -2
[2014-08-09 13:31:16.211] INIT(AMD, 0, 5): 3D = ERROR
[2014-08-09 13:31:16.262] INIT: No compatible displays found.
08-10-2014, 04:33 AM (Last edited: 08-10-2014, 04:33 AM by 3MblE)
i keep getting "Failed to open desktop" after starting the system.
Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, if i try to launch it manually before my system's other software is up - i sometimes get the same error, if everything has loaded i can then launch it no problems.
Can you just add more retries to it before it goes "error" ? because that seems to be the case
08-11-2014, 03:02 AM
(08-09-2014 11:46 AM)vsmoker Wrote:  I have AOC g2460fq 144hz, but unfortunately doesn't work Sad
Radeon 6850 / windows 7 64b, is the fault monitor or it can be somehow set
The AOC does not have LightBoost.
08-11-2014, 03:04 AM
(08-10-2014 04:33 AM)3MblE Wrote:  i keep getting "Failed to open desktop" after starting the system.
Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, if i try to launch it manually before my system's other software is up - i sometimes get the same error, if everything has loaded i can then launch it no problems.
Can you just add more retries to it before it goes "error" ? because that seems to be the case
I had to do that because it can't check or switch resolutions if the desktop isn't available. It already tries 10 times over 2 seconds. I don't know how much time is appropriate. The real question is why does Windows run startup programs before the desktop is ready?

See if this helps: https://www.monitortests.com/strobelight-test.zip

That tries 20 times in 4 seconds, and I added a "Retry" button if it fails.
08-12-2014, 01:46 PM (Last edited: 08-12-2014, 02:19 PM by MagierJo)
Hello.
I want to buy a new monitor and i heard about lightboost technology in this forum.
The Acer GN246HLBbid specs say this monitor would support this technology (e.g. here: http://www.mediamarkt.de/mcs/product/ACE...sche-daten it says:"NVIDIA 3D Lightboost", sry it's in German), is this true? ... it isn't listed on the front page of this thread as supported monitor. Additionally i'd like to know whether this monitor works with this technology by using an AMD graphics card (like the R9 290).
I would appreciate some help.
Additionally: does someone know whether AMD HD3D works on this monitor? Nvidia 3D Vision 2 is supported..
08-13-2014, 12:50 PM
(08-12-2014 01:46 PM)MagierJo Wrote:  The Acer GN246HLBbid specs say this monitor would support this technology (e.g. here: http://www.mediamarkt.de/mcs/product/ACE...sche-daten it says:"NVIDIA 3D Lightboost", sry it's in German), is this true? ... it isn't listed on the front page of this thread as supported monitor. Additionally i'd like to know whether this monitor works with this technology by using an AMD graphics card (like the R9 290).
The Acer has LightBoost, but it's not compatible with Strobelight. Only the ASUS and BenQ monitors listed in the main post are known to work.

(08-12-2014 01:46 PM)MagierJo Wrote:  Additionally: does someone know whether AMD HD3D works on this monitor? Nvidia 3D Vision 2 is supported..
No.