Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-14-2014, 10:30 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
Thanks much for your help. I finally decided to buy the ASUS vg248qe.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2014, 09:48 PM
I've tried to troubleshoot this, but everything I've done hasn't done anything.

I have 2 monitors, one is a VG248QE, the other is a Sony 3D Display (the "playstation" display) and, while strobelight works wonder on my ASUS, for some reason the Sony one has some sort of syncing issues. It'll be at 60HZ for about 4 or so seconds, then drop to 45HZ, for a few seconds, then back to 60HZ and so on.

This also messes up the ASUS, like when I drag a window to the Sony one, then drag it back to the ASUS one, moving the window around causes noticeable lag for a few seconds, then it goes back to being smooth...

Is this common? Or is it just the crappy Sony display? Since it especially doesn't have any "real" drivers.
08-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I got the Acer GN246 today, it's supposed to support Lightboost but I can't figure out how to enable it. Can't do it from the monitor menu. I get the 'not supported' message by Strobelight.exe.

loltastic made it work here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1242

but i can't really follow his instructions, get lost along the way. do i need to edit the product ID or something in CRU?
08-27-2014, 01:49 PM
(08-22-2014 08:33 PM)kvelertak Wrote:  I got the Acer GN246 today, it's supposed to support Lightboost but I can't figure out how to enable it. Can't do it from the monitor menu. I get the 'not supported' message by Strobelight.exe.
Strobelight doesn't support the Acer monitor, but it can be used if LightBoost is unlocked using another method.

(08-22-2014 08:33 PM)kvelertak Wrote:  loltastic made it work here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1242

but i can't really follow his instructions, get lost along the way. do i need to edit the product ID or something in CRU?
What part are you having trouble with? The instructions are straightforward. You need to edit the product ID so you can unlock LightBoost using the NVIDIA control panel. See "Alternate Instructions (Custom Resolution Utility)" here: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
09-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I am using strobelight beta 4 with an nVidia GTX 670 and BenQ XL2720T. I am having problems getting nVidia control panel to remember my desktop color settings, but I am not sure this is the fault of Strobelight, since I can read on the net that a lot of people are having the same problem.

However, since I installed the 340.52 driver, I have been unable to use the hotkeys to change the lightboost brightness, [Ctrl] [Alt] [0-9] = Brightness.

The hotkeys to change between 100, 110 and 120 hz is still working.

Is this a known problem and is there a workaround or will there be a new version out soon?
09-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Hello, is this thing on?
09-09-2014, 11:01 AM
(09-08-2014 07:06 PM)scarystuff Wrote:  Hello, is this thing on?

Hi
09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
(09-04-2014 08:51 AM)scarystuff Wrote:  I am using strobelight beta 4 with an nVidia GTX 670 and BenQ XL2720T. I am having problems getting nVidia control panel to remember my desktop color settings, but I am not sure this is the fault of Strobelight, since I can read on the net that a lot of people are having the same problem.
If you can't save the color settings, then that's a driver bug.

(09-04-2014 08:51 AM)scarystuff Wrote:  However, since I installed the 340.52 driver, I have been unable to use the hotkeys to change the lightboost brightness, [Ctrl] [Alt] [0-9] = Brightness.

The hotkeys to change between 100, 110 and 120 hz is still working.

Is this a known problem and is there a workaround or will there be a new version out soon?
I can't check NVIDIA at the moment, but the only reason the LightBoost brightness wouldn't change is if the monitor is not actually in LightBoost mode. This can happen if the monitor is not running with the proper refresh rate parameters. Try reinstalling the refresh rates again.

The other possibility is Strobelight is having trouble communicating with the monitor, but if that's the case, Strobelight shouldn't start at all.
09-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Hi ToastyX,

Any chance to get ULMB working on a 7970 radeon card on an ASUS RoG Swift PG278Q
monitor?

I purchased this monitor knowingly that G-SYNC would not work, but i had no clue that ULMB was an NVIDIA only thing.

I tried strobelight-setup.exe but i would get only some weird black/grey flickering on the screen, until uninstalled again.

Unfortunately either the reviewers did not mention that ULMB works only on NVIDIA cards or i must have been subject to a blind spot when reading through.

The ASUS manual does not really state clearly that ULMB would not work on AMD cards either. It does so only for G-SYNC.

I will happily donate $20 if you get this to work for for this particular monitor.
09-10-2014, 07:04 AM
^lol, was waiting how long it would take for someone to ask this. This is what happens when you pull off amazing feats like getting Lightboost to work on AMD