Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
06-30-2013, 03:18 AM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(06-30-2013 02:05 AM)MissWatson Wrote:  So you're saying that my eyes just don't see the difference between lightboost vs non-lightboost?
That's possible, but it should be noticeable with any sort of motion. Even something simple like opening a text file in Notepad and moving the window around: the text is much easier to read while moving the window with LightBoost on, while the text is noticeably blurry with LightBoost off.

See the Blur Busters LightBoost FAQ under "LightBoost doesn’t eliminate motion blur for me. Why?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2013, 04:01 AM (Last edited: 06-30-2013, 04:25 AM by MissWatson)
(06-30-2013 03:18 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-30-2013 02:05 AM)MissWatson Wrote:  So you're saying that my eyes just don't see the difference between lightboost vs non-lightboost?
That's possible, but it should be noticeable with any sort of motion. Even something simple like opening a text file in Notepad and moving the window around: the text is much easier to read while moving the window with LightBoost on, while the text is noticeably blurry with LightBoost off.

See the Blur Busters LightBoost FAQ under "LightBoost doesn’t eliminate motion blur for me. Why?"

I'm pretty sure lightboost is on, it says 3D-Mode on my menu. I meet all of the prerequisites but still fail the test. Maybe it's because I have 2 monitors?
EDIT: tried with only one monitor, same results
06-30-2013, 05:48 AM (Last edited: 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM by mdrejhon)
(06-29-2013 05:18 PM)victor.sic Wrote:  Are the brightness options supposed to have any effect directly to the user's desktop or only in game screen?
Both.
During strobe mode (LightBoost), using lower brightnesses will produce clearer motion.
Strobe lengths are directly proportional to the amount of motion blur.
At 10%, the strobe flashes are 1.4ms long, and at 100%, the flashes are 2.4ms long.
It's like the difference of the CRT flicker between a medium-persistence phosphor vs. longer-persistence phosphor
At 10%, the motion can be clearer than a Sony FW900 CRT, but a lot dimmer.
However, if you are not used to CRT clarity motion, the difference is rather subtle.
120Hz versus anything LightBoost will be more dramatic than the clarity differences between all LightBoost modes:

Here's the chart of the strobe lengths of the various modes:

[Image: http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/motion-blur-graph.png]

P.S. Confirmed:
Two successful reports of BENQ XL2720T working.
One successful report of ASUS VG278HE working.
One successful report of BENQ XL2420T working.

(06-30-2013 04:01 AM)MissWatson Wrote:  I'm pretty sure lightboost is on, it says 3D-Mode on my menu. I meet all of the prerequisites but still fail the test. Maybe it's because I have 2 monitors?
Please upgrade your drivers and let us know if that solves your problem. We found a set of drivers that accidentally framecapped to 60fps, which interfered with LightBoost benefits. Make sure you get 120 frames per second.
06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
(06-30-2013 05:48 AM)mdrejhon Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 05:18 PM)victor.sic Wrote:  Are the brightness options supposed to have any effect directly to the user's desktop or only in game screen?
Both.
During strobe mode (LightBoost), using lower brightnesses will produce clearer motion.
Strobe lengths are directly proportional to the amount of motion blur.
At 10%, the strobe flashes are 1.4ms long, and at 100%, the flashes are 2.4ms long.
It's like the difference of the CRT flicker between a medium-persistence phosphor vs. longer-persistence phosphor
At 10%, the motion can be clearer than a Sony FW900 CRT, but a lot dimmer.
However, if you are not used to CRT clarity motion, the difference is rather subtle.
120Hz versus anything LightBoost will be more dramatic than the clarity differences between all LightBoost modes:

Here's the chart of the strobe lengths of the various modes:

[Image: http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/motion-blur-graph.png]

P.S. Confirmed:
Two successful reports of BENQ XL2720T working.
One successful report of ASUS VG278HE working.
One successful report of BENQ XL2420T working.

(06-30-2013 04:01 AM)MissWatson Wrote:  I'm pretty sure lightboost is on, it says 3D-Mode on my menu. I meet all of the prerequisites but still fail the test. Maybe it's because I have 2 monitors?
Please upgrade your drivers and let us know if that solves your problem. We found a set of drivers that accidentally framecapped to 60fps, which interfered with LightBoost benefits. Make sure you get 120 frames per second.

I definitely get more that 60fps, I get around 200+ around ingame on tf2 and I definitely feel the effects of playing in 120hz, however, I cannot feel the difference of lightboost. My FPS is not the problem.

I'm using AMD's latest beta driver 13.6
Should I try their stable release 13.4?

Maybe my monitor has a defective 3D mode?
06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Try waving a finger in front of the screen. If you can see a strobing effect (easiest to see in a dark room), then it's definitely working and you're just not seeing the difference.
06-30-2013, 09:02 PM
(06-30-2013 07:49 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Try waving a finger in front of the screen. If you can see a strobing effect (easiest to see in a dark room), then it's definitely working and you're just not seeing the difference.

Yeah, it's definitely on, I guess it's just that I'm not sensitive to motion blur. Thanks for the help.
07-01-2013, 04:40 AM (Last edited: 07-01-2013, 04:46 AM by mdrejhon)
(06-30-2013 09:02 PM)MissWatson Wrote:  Yeah, it's definitely on, I guess it's just that I'm not sensitive to motion blur. Thanks for the help.
Try temporarily turning VSYNC ON, and playing exact framerate=Hz -- 120fps@120Hz with LightBoost ON versus OFF. VSYNC ON is not good for competition gaming, but it's good for amplifying the difference between LightBoost ON vs OFF. Also try simultaneously doing this with LightBoost=10% (strobe brightness) instead of 100%; this amplifies the difference between LightBoost vs non-LightBoost even further. Also a gaming mouse makes a huge difference here. Try turning left/right in front of a wall with your mouse. Now try strafing left/right in front of a wall with keyboard. (stare at stuff on the wall as the wall scrolls by). If your mouse is more jittery than the keyboard, you need a better mouse (1000Hz, good mouse pad). Also when testing this, don't be too close to the wall that makes everything blurry, but something like a few feet in front where everything is detailed.

So in a nutshell, to maximize the difference between LB and non-LB:
-- Test VSYNC ON (temporarily)
-- Test LightBoost=10% (clearer LightBoost)
-- Test using keyboard instead of mouse (eliminate mouse jitters from affecting LightBoost clarity)
When you do all the three of the above, the difference can start to become easier to see.

That said, not everyone is sensitive to motion blur, but many of us here are.
07-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for getting it to work with ATI. It's working fine with my VG248QE. Do people generally just leave lightboost on even while desktop browsing? I find that if I go back and fourth my eyes have to readjust and I end up getting a headache.
07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
(07-01-2013 02:26 PM)orangetriad Wrote:  It's working fine with my VG248QE. Do people generally just leave lightboost on even while desktop browsing? I find that if I go back and fourth my eyes have to readjust and I end up getting a headache.
Try equalizing the brightness in LightBoost vs non-LightBoost mode. That said, the non-LightBoost mode of VG248QE can have multiple-edge PWM-dimming motion artifacts that LightBoost does not have (even though LightBoost strobes).

I just keep LightBoost on at all times on my VG278H. For web browsing with LightBoost, try Chromium Smooth Scroller Extension for Chrome, and use mousewheel to scroll. I can read text while I am scrolling! (once I tweak the settings by right clicking on the steering wheel, to make it scroll sufficiently smoothly)
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM (Last edited: 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM by Mek.)
Hello Toasty!

I'm very excited for this release as it supports AMD cards. But I ran into a problem. I ran the strobelight-setup.exe and installed using 120Hz strobed. Then copied strobelight.exe to this folder C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Then I restarted, but was unable to boot into windows. The windows loading screen showed up, but after that it was all black. I waited for about 5 minutes, then went to sleep :> I had to do a system restore to get windows booting again. Any solution for this? Thanks in advance.

My specs:

OS - Windows 8 pro
Monitor - VG248QE
CPU - Inte Haswell i5-4670K
Graphics - XFX Radeon HD 7970 FX797ATDFC
Mobo - MSI Z87-G43 Intel Z87 Motherboard
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB

Ok I reinstalled with 4 refresh rates this time and it I sucessfully rebooted into windows. However, It doesn't seem like Lightboost is running. The lightbulb icon never turns on, and I do not see the menu options for "Strobing on" or "Strobing off".

Screenshot:

[Image: http://s17.postimg.org/z46krzhin/image.jpg]

I tried copying strobelight.exe to desktop and renaming to strobelight-debug.exe then running, but nothing happened.