Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-11-2017, 12:05 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hey there.

I can't get custom resolutions to work, even though I have the Intel xxxx.4624 driver which should allow me to do so:

[Image: 7lZ4g5S.png]

Now I don't need it for what most people need it for. I simply need to add a resolution to my smaller screens standard list, I don't actually need to use it. (Playing old games, which defaults always to largest resolution of the smallest monitor, even when played on the bigger monitor).

This is what I get when I try:
[Image: 6EpsX6z.png]

Now I assume that its the "generic pnp monitor (active)" that is the monitor I want to changes, because it has the "Detailed resolution" that monitor is running at atm. However this is what I see:

[Image: wlJ2oq7.png]

No standard resolution list at all, and when I try to add the one I want, the letters are in all red. What do I do?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2017, 06:39 AM
(06-11-2017 12:05 AM)Johnny408 Wrote:  Now I assume that its the "generic pnp monitor (active)" that is the monitor I want to changes, because it has the "Detailed resolution" that monitor is running at atm. However this is what I see:

No standard resolution list at all, and when I try to add the one I want, the letters are in all red. What do I do?
Is that a laptop display? It's normal for the laptop display to only have the native resolution. Standard resolutions are limited to certain aspect ratios, and the horizontal resolution must be a multiple of 8 and not more than 2288. If the resolution you want isn't in the drop-down list, I would just add a detailed resolution instead. The problem is if you're trying to add a resolution higher than 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, the driver might ignore it because of bandwidth limitations. If that's the case, I don't know if there's a way to do what you need.
06-11-2017, 06:40 AM
(06-10-2017 04:07 PM)tobindax Wrote:  Hey ToastyX, can you explain why the AMD driver allows me to choose between only between 2 RGB modes when I turn my LG monitor to 76Hz, but before I did that it also allowed 2 extra YCbCr modes?
I think AMD's driver only supports YCbCr for specific TV resolutions like 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz with the CEA-861 timing parameters, and you need to have an HDMI support data block in the extension block with the YCbCr options enabled.
06-11-2017, 06:50 AM
(06-10-2017 01:39 PM)lukilla Wrote:  Once I add a resolution with CRU the nvidia control panel can´t enable the second monitor nor access functions for it, maybe because it´s vga it wont work properly with CRU?.
That seems like an NVIDIA driver limitation. VGA should work fine with CRU if the monitor has an EDID. If it's a non-PnP monitor without an EDID, drivers sometimes have odd bugs with EDID overrides.
06-11-2017, 06:51 AM
(06-09-2017 08:11 PM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  I just tried that, with no luck; I tried both restart.exe and Windows restart.

I downloaded that driver before I started on the CRU.exe, to meet the requirements stated in your first post.
Does Intel have a GPU scaling option? If so, make sure it's disabled. Do any lower resolutions added with CRU show up? If not, the driver might not support EDID overrides with your particular GPU+monitor.
06-11-2017, 02:42 PM
(06-11-2017 06:51 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-09-2017 08:11 PM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  I just tried that, with no luck; I tried both restart.exe and Windows restart.

I downloaded that driver before I started on the CRU.exe, to meet the requirements stated in your first post.
Does Intel have a GPU scaling option? If so, make sure it's disabled. Do any lower resolutions added with CRU show up? If not, the driver might not support EDID overrides with your particular GPU+monitor.

I apologize for my obvious lack of knowledge. I have no clue what a GPU scaling option is or how to find out.

All the lower than 1280x1024 resolutions stated when running the CRU.exe (which are the same for Established Resolutions and Standard Resolutions) are showing with Screen Resolution except for 600x480 (which is absent from the Screen Resolution options).
06-11-2017, 04:04 PM (Last edited: 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM by jcrivello)
Hello --

Thank you for your hard work on this excellent tool.

I have a Surface Book, with an Intel HD Graphics 520 switchable display adapter. I installed the version 21.20.16.4627 driver that is documented as compatible with CRU. The native resolution of the Surface Book's display is 3000:2000 with a DPI of 271.

Windows' poor high DPI support has been causing me fits... especially on my multi-monitor set up. In a perfect world, I'd like to simply change the resolution to 1500:1000 and disable high DPI mode. When I attempt to create a custom resolution of 1500:1000 in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, it instead creates a resolution of 1504:1000 -- ostensibly because the horizontal resolution has to be a multiple of 8. It looks like the GPU scales this 1504:1000 resolution up to 3000:2000, causing blurring, ostensibly because of the non-integral scaling factor and the slight change in aspect ratio.

I am hoping that instead, I can create a 1496:1000 resolution that is scaled up by the GPU to exactly 2992:2000, so that essentially, one pixel rendered by Windows is rendered directly onto a 2x2 square of pixels on the display (without interpolation or anything fancy). This would waste 4 pixels on the left and right of the display, which is an acceptable compromise. I can set a custom resolution of 1496:1000 and the scaling mode to "maintain aspect ratio" in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, which is close to what I want. However, it looks like the GPU is doing some kind of interpolation in the scaling process, which is causing artifacts like the blurring of sharp lines.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want with CRU, perhaps in combination with another tool or a registry tweak?

Thank you...!

Joe Crivello
06-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Hi need help. I downloaded this to my desktop, tried hitting restart because it said my monitor needed a restart for it to be activated to the new resolution. I restarted my computer as well and now I have just a black screen and can't see anything. Please help
06-11-2017, 11:37 PM
(06-11-2017 05:01 PM)Nienflo Wrote:  Hi need help. I downloaded this to my desktop, tried hitting restart because it said my monitor needed a restart for it to be activated to the new resolution. I restarted my computer as well and now I have just a black screen and can't see anything. Please help
Boot into safe mode and run reset-all.exe. This is in the first post.
06-11-2017, 11:37 PM
(06-11-2017 04:04 PM)jcrivello Wrote:  Windows' poor high DPI support has been causing me fits... especially on my multi-monitor set up. In a perfect world, I'd like to simply change the resolution to 1500:1000 and disable high DPI mode. When I attempt to create a custom resolution of 1500:1000 in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, it instead creates a resolution of 1504:1000 -- ostensibly because the horizontal resolution has to be a multiple of 8. It looks like the GPU scales this 1504:1000 resolution up to 3000:2000, causing blurring, ostensibly because of the non-integral scaling factor and the slight change in aspect ratio.

I am hoping that instead, I can create a 1496:1000 resolution that is scaled up by the GPU to exactly 2992:2000, so that essentially, one pixel rendered by Windows is rendered directly onto a 2x2 square of pixels on the display (without interpolation or anything fancy). This would waste 4 pixels on the left and right of the display, which is an acceptable compromise. I can set a custom resolution of 1496:1000 and the scaling mode to "maintain aspect ratio" in Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, which is close to what I want. However, it looks like the GPU is doing some kind of interpolation in the scaling process, which is causing artifacts like the blurring of sharp lines.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want with CRU, perhaps in combination with another tool or a registry tweak?
I don't think any GPU currently available will do integer scaling, so there's no way to disable the interpolation.