Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-06-2018, 09:57 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(08-03-2018 12:24 AM)madaf Wrote:  EDIT: I went ahead and did a manual override on the EDID to force strobing on startup. I would much rather use your tool but I sometimes forget to toggle manually and I go on playing with a color profile I calibrated for strobing.
Strobelight setup creates EDID overrides. What did you change to force strobing on startup?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2018, 05:25 PM
Does this program work for a PS4? I have the ASUS VG248QE. I ran the program via DP cable on windows system, I believe I have done it correctly as the light boost option is available under the monitor menu and running the blur test screen looks great and blur free. I then switch the input to HDMI for the PS4, however I do not see any flickering at all.
09-24-2018, 07:09 PM
(09-24-2018 05:25 PM)oldmanstilltrying Wrote:  Does this program work for a PS4? I have the ASUS VG248QE. I ran the program via DP cable on windows system, I believe I have done it correctly as the light boost option is available under the monitor menu and running the blur test screen looks great and blur free. I then switch the input to HDMI for the PS4, however I do not see any flickering at all.
LightBoost only works with certain refresh rates with specific timing parameters that the PS4 doesn't provide, and the monitor doesn't do LightBoost with HDMI either.
09-24-2018, 10:19 PM
(09-24-2018 07:09 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-24-2018 05:25 PM)oldmanstilltrying Wrote:  Does this program work for a PS4? I have the ASUS VG248QE. I ran the program via DP cable on windows system, I believe I have done it correctly as the light boost option is available under the monitor menu and running the blur test screen looks great and blur free. I then switch the input to HDMI for the PS4, however I do not see any flickering at all.
LightBoost only works with certain refresh rates with specific timing parameters that the PS4 doesn't provide, and the monitor doesn't do LightBoost with HDMI either.

Thank you for the response and information, much appreciated.
11-28-2018, 04:22 AM
hello people - looks like i have the worst combination for trying out light boost according to the FAQ section. i have a new Acer GN246HL and a RX480.

in the notes it says RX480 won't work with DVI (dula DVI too i assume?) and I don't have a Display Port on the monitor aaannd lightboost doesn't work with HDMI as far as i read - so am I screwed until I get a new video card??? or would I be a candidate to use CRU or some other method. Thanks ahead of time!
11-29-2018, 01:33 AM
(11-28-2018 04:22 AM)1q3er5 Wrote:  hello people - looks like i have the worst combination for trying out light boost according to the FAQ section. i have a new Acer GN246HL and a RX480.

in the notes it says RX480 won't work with DVI (dula DVI too i assume?) and I don't have a Display Port on the monitor aaannd lightboost doesn't work with HDMI as far as i read - so am I screwed until I get a new video card??? or would I be a candidate to use CRU or some other method. Thanks ahead of time!
I heard the Acer GN246HL might not need to be unlocked for LightBoost to work. Try installing the refresh rates with the setup program and see if LightBoost is active at 120 Hz. The main program won't work, but that's only for unlocking LightBoost and switching refresh rates.
04-21-2019, 12:10 AM (Last edited: 04-21-2019, 12:11 AM by alexander1986)
(11-29-2018 01:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-28-2018 04:22 AM)1q3er5 Wrote:  hello people - looks like i have the worst combination for trying out light boost according to the FAQ section. i have a new Acer GN246HL and a RX480.

I heard the Acer GN246HL might not need to be unlocked for LightBoost to work. Try installing the refresh rates with the setup program and see if LightBoost is active at 120 Hz. The main program won't work, but that's only for unlocking LightBoost and switching refresh rates.

Hello Toasty, sorry I just quoted your last message to adress you directly since I don't know if you can @ a username on these boards to ping a user and so on, also didn't want to PM you because maybe you want everything to be posted in the forums instead, anyway here is my question:

I have been using the asus vg248qe monitor together with strobelight and lightboost activated since I got the monitor in 2012, its been an awesome combination and since im very sensitive to ghosting and motion blur on lcds, this has been wonderful over the years, still very happy and love both the monitor and the utility ! so thanks for the app man!

Now the thing i'm worried about is that I will soon buy a graphics card with only displayport outputs, right now im using the asus vg248qe monitor with DVI dual link output and it works fine in 1920x1080 144hz no lightboost, as well as 1920x1080 120 hz lightboost perfectly, no problems at all,

do you know perhaps, if there is any risk at all for problems when running lightboost via displayport ? I would be running 1920x1080 120 hz lightboost on dp 1.2 connection and dp 1.2 cable, since its old monitor it only supports dp1.2,
and from what I can read in the asus vg248qe manual, it supports 144hz both for dvi and dp, but I dont know if lightboost will work differently on displayport vs dvi?

maybe stupid questions by me ! but would like to know before purchasing new gfx card, if there is risk of issues I will find a model that has dvi connector instead, not many of those today tho like rtx 2070 with dvi is pretty few models, etc..

also bonus question regarding strobelight, I notice 120 hz with lightboost in the strobelight app always sets monitor to 120.004 hz instead of 120.000, can see this in CRU as well as blurbusters refreshrate test, is there any particular reason for this and that its not 120.000 ? just wondering if limiting fps to 120 with RTSS for example and vsync off, like I do in many games, would give slightly less tearing/stutter if the real hz was 120.000 so to speak? or that is irrelevant?

maybe better to limit fps to 120.004 since you can do that in RTSS? or would be exactly identical result to limiting to 120.000 even if true refreshrate is 120.004?

again maybe stupid question, just curious Smile

thanks in advance! cheers,

Alex
04-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Strobelight works fine with DisplayPort. In fact, DVI won't work correctly with newer AMD cards because of communication issues, but DisplayPort works fine. NVIDIA shouldn't have issues either way.

The pixel clock only has two decimal places, so 120.004 Hz is the next possible rate that's at least 120 Hz with the timing parameters used. You can get exactly 120 Hz by changing the vertical total to 1150, but that won't make any meaningful difference. I was just going by what NVIDIA 3D Vision used, which is the "LCD standard" (CVT-RB) timing parameters with +5 vertical blanking/total.

I wouldn't limit the frame rate to anywhere near the refresh rate because that would cause bad tearing with vsync off and intermittent stuttering with vsync on. You usually want the frame rate to be as high as possible.
04-21-2019, 04:00 PM (Last edited: 04-21-2019, 04:02 PM by alexander1986)
(04-21-2019 01:47 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Strobelight works fine with DisplayPort. In fact, DVI won't work correctly with newer AMD cards because of communication issues, but DisplayPort works fine. NVIDIA shouldn't have issues either way.

The pixel clock only has two decimal places, so 120.004 Hz is the next possible rate that's at least 120 Hz with the timing parameters used. You can get exactly 120 Hz by changing the vertical total to 1150, but that won't make any meaningful difference. I was just going by what NVIDIA 3D Vision used, which is the "LCD standard" (CVT-RB) timing parameters with +5 vertical blanking/total.

I wouldn't limit the frame rate to anywhere near the refresh rate because that would cause bad tearing with vsync off and intermittent stuttering with vsync on. You usually want the frame rate to be as high as possible.

Interesting, IDK if i'm just not sensitive at all to tearing or something but I have extremely low amount of tearing even with 120 fps limit in RTSS and vsync off with lightboost 120 hz, both in scrolling RTS games like path of exile and fast FPS games like fortnite etc Tongue running vsync off and fps limit 120 since 2012 basically,

it honestly looks super good and if there is any tearing atleast its not noticeable at all to me, but on other hand im super sensitive to motion blur and ghosting so maybe I just got used to it over the past 7 years, anyway thanks for the answers chief Smile
09-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Hello, it's me again.

Short question:

I recently bought the amd 5700 xt and I'm using the Asus VG278HE with a super expensive dvi-d dual link to displayport adapter, since the GPU doesn't have a DVI connection.

I just wanted to ask if strobelight works with an active adapter or any adapters at all.
For now after using the setup and rebooting, windows shows in the display adapter settings that I'm on 121Hz and only 121 and 120Hz are available, but when I start the strobelight.exe
that there are no compatible displays found