Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(09-04-2019 01:18 PM)Valafar Wrote:  I recently bought the amd 5700 xt and I'm using the Asus VG278HE with a super expensive dvi-d dual link to displayport adapter, since the GPU doesn't have a DVI connection.

I just wanted to ask if strobelight works with an active adapter or any adapters at all.
For now after using the setup and rebooting, windows shows in the display adapter settings that I'm on 121Hz and only 121 and 120Hz are available, but when I start the strobelight.exe
that there are no compatible displays found
Active adapters don't seem to pass through DDC, which is required to unlock LightBoost. It's possible to unlock LightBoost with an HDMI-DVI cable, but I don't know if the 5700 XT is affected by the DVI communication problem. If the monitor is already unlocked, you can just switch refresh rates to turn LightBoost on and off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2019, 03:37 PM
(09-04-2019 01:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-04-2019 01:18 PM)Valafar Wrote:  I recently bought the amd 5700 xt and I'm using the Asus VG278HE with a super expensive dvi-d dual link to displayport adapter, since the GPU doesn't have a DVI connection.

I just wanted to ask if strobelight works with an active adapter or any adapters at all.
For now after using the setup and rebooting, windows shows in the display adapter settings that I'm on 121Hz and only 121 and 120Hz are available, but when I start the strobelight.exe
that there are no compatible displays found
Active adapters don't seem to pass through DDC, which is required to unlock LightBoost. It's possible to unlock LightBoost with an HDMI-DVI cable, but I don't know if the 5700 XT is affected by the DVI communication problem. If the monitor is already unlocked, you can just switch refresh rates to turn LightBoost on and off.

So, Lightboost might be possible later with an update for the GPU (driver) some time later?
09-07-2019, 11:39 PM
(09-05-2019 03:37 PM)Valafar Wrote:  So, Lightboost might be possible later with an update for the GPU (driver) some time later?
LightBoost is possible if it's already unlocked, but Strobelight won't be able to detect the monitor through the adapter.
09-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Hi

I'm having some trouble getting strobing working on one of my computers.

I have two computers, basically identical. They both have new AMD RX 5700s linked to their own ASUS VG248QE monitor via DisplayPort. The setup utility functions and can install the strobe resolutions, and everything works fine on one of the PCs if you select one of the strobed resolutions manually in Windows.

But on the second computer strobing doesn't activate when selecting one of the strobed resolutions. I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the resolutions using the setup, and even copying all the settings from the working computer to the other using CRU, but nothing seems to work!

Previously both computers were running fine with GTX 760s on the same ASUS VG248QE monitors via DVI. I have obviously done something differently during setup on one computer. Any ideas how to get it working?
09-19-2019, 05:11 PM
(09-19-2019 04:18 PM)straww Wrote:  But on the second computer strobing doesn't activate when selecting one of the strobed resolutions. I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the resolutions using the setup, and even copying all the settings from the working computer to the other using CRU, but nothing seems to work!
Try unplugging the monitor's power for a few seconds to reset it. Then run Strobelight to reinitialize LightBoost.
09-20-2019, 08:26 AM
(09-19-2019 05:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-19-2019 04:18 PM)straww Wrote:  But on the second computer strobing doesn't activate when selecting one of the strobed resolutions. I have tried uninstall/reinstalling the resolutions using the setup, and even copying all the settings from the working computer to the other using CRU, but nothing seems to work!
Try unplugging the monitor's power for a few seconds to reset it. Then run Strobelight to reinitialize LightBoost.

I tried:
- Selecting a non-strobed resolution
- Uninstalling using setup, then restart
- Unplug the monitor after startup for a few seconds
- Run setup again to install the strobed resolutions and restart
- Selecting one of the strobed resolutions after restart

I cannot run strobelight.exe, I think because I am using DisplayPort, so only only strobelight-setup.exe works.

When installing the graphics drivers on the non-strobing computer I used Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall everything from Nvidia, could this be the issue or do previous settings not matter?
09-20-2019, 01:12 PM
(09-20-2019 08:26 AM)straww Wrote:  I cannot run strobelight.exe, I think because I am using DisplayPort, so only only strobelight-setup.exe works.

When installing the graphics drivers on the non-strobing computer I used Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall everything from Nvidia, could this be the issue or do previous settings not matter?
This has nothing to do with previous settings. You can't just install the refresh rates. You need to run strobelight.exe at least once after unplugging the monitor to unlock LightBoost. The other monitor works because it still has LightBoost unlocked. DisplayPort is supposed to work, at least it did with older cards. I haven't had feedback about newer cards. What happens when you run strobelight.exe?
09-20-2019, 01:54 PM
(09-20-2019 01:12 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  This has nothing to do with previous settings. You can't just install the refresh rates. You need to run strobelight.exe at least once after unplugging the monitor to unlock LightBoost. The other monitor works because it still has LightBoost unlocked.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

(09-20-2019 01:12 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  DisplayPort is supposed to work, at least it did with older cards. I haven't had feedback about newer cards. What happens when you run strobelight.exe?

I get the error "No compatible displays found." I get the same error on the working machine. I guess the difference is that I have unplugged the display at some point so it is no longer unlocked.

Is there any way to get it working?
09-20-2019, 02:01 PM
(09-20-2019 01:54 PM)straww Wrote:  I get the error "No compatible displays found." I get the same error on the working machine. I guess the difference is that I have unplugged the display at some point so it is no longer unlocked.

Is there any way to get it working?
Rename strobelight.exe to strobelight-debug.exe and post the log file.
09-20-2019, 02:07 PM
(09-20-2019 02:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Rename strobelight.exe to strobelight-debug.exe and post the log file.

Here you go:

[2019-09-20 15:06:12.330] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = SUCCESS
[2019-09-20 15:06:12.352] LOAD(AMD): ADL_Main_Control_Create() = SUCCESS
[2019-09-20 15:06:12.374] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = ERROR -1
[2019-09-20 15:06:14.422] INIT(AMD, 0, 4): 3D = ERROR
[2019-09-20 15:06:14.664] INIT: No compatible displays found.

Appreciate the help Smile