Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-23-2024, 01:34 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(03-23-2024 05:07 AM)uhboof Wrote:  I have an AW2725DF, Nvidia RTX 3080, 8k 1.4 DP Cable. I have an elgato 4k capture card as well that is plugged in which i'll be cloning but I don't think it has much of a play on this as i've tried doing it without this plugged in

I want to play stretched and turn 2560x1440 to 1720x1080 360hz for better frames. I legit spent I would say about 10 hours trying to get this to work but this is my only hope now.

I am using Display ID 1.3 at the bottom and deleting everything else. I first copy the one that shows 1440p and 360hz, I delete that one and add a new one, paste, change resolution, I have tried with different timings but the resolution won't pop up once I try to change it. when I add a standard resolution of 1920x1080 with it, it works but only sets as desktop resolution and not active. I try to delete the monitor and "reset-all" but why is that resolution still there despite me deleting the entry????? I also tried SRE to delete 2k resolution off and it did nothing. I reinstalled my gpu and I believe the custom resolution was still there after. I kept changing things a bunch and eventually it disappeared but I can't get the resolution to show up on advanced display settings while getting it on active resolution. PLEASE HELP my head is actually hurting.
Don't make the same post in two places.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2024, 10:44 PM
I'm trying to adjust the resolution of a Dell U2412M monitor (Win10, 3060RTX, connected via DP1.3).
Its native resolution is 16:10 (1920x1200), and I was able to bump that up via NVIDIA's control panel to 2560x1440. Of course, that's a 16:9 ratio, so stuff looks distorted.
When I enter the "proper" resolution of 2304x1440 the control panel tells me that my monitor doesn't support this resolution, and if I try it via CRU I either get an error message on the screen when I apply it, or the control panel crashes altogether (when trying to switch scaling modes).
How do I find out which resolutions my monitor actually supports? Or what else could be going on?
03-25-2024, 02:35 AM (Last edited: 03-25-2024, 02:38 AM by ToastyX)
(03-24-2024 10:44 PM)Frescard Wrote:  I'm trying to adjust the resolution of a Dell U2412M monitor (Win10, 3060RTX, connected via DP1.3).
Its native resolution is 16:10 (1920x1200), and I was able to bump that up via NVIDIA's control panel to 2560x1440. Of course, that's a 16:9 ratio, so stuff looks distorted.
When I enter the "proper" resolution of 2304x1440 the control panel tells me that my monitor doesn't support this resolution, and if I try it via CRU I either get an error message on the screen when I apply it, or the control panel crashes altogether (when trying to switch scaling modes).
How do I find out which resolutions my monitor actually supports? Or what else could be going on?
You should enable Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) to add higher GPU-scaled resolutions instead of adding custom resolutions. You probably created a GPU-scaled resolution for 2560x1440 while keeping the active resolution at 1920x1200, while CRU creates active resolutions that are sent to the monitor, and the monitor is telling you it doesn't support the resolution.

When the NVIDIA control panel says the resolution is not supported by the display, it actually means NVIDIA's driver is rejecting it for some reason, not the monitor. I don't see why 2560x1440 would work but not 2304x1440 if the active resolution is still 1920x1200, but that's definitely on the driver's end.
03-25-2024, 01:15 PM
How exactly do the range limits in CRU work?
I have a benq xl2540 connected via DP, freesync ON.
To test the range limits I set V rate to 48-230hz (from 48-240hz), but the monitor is still running default 240hz according to testufo.
How and when do the range limits apply?
03-25-2024, 03:59 PM
(03-25-2024 02:35 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You should enable Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) to add higher GPU-scaled resolutions instead of adding custom resolutions. You probably created a GPU-scaled resolution for 2560x1440 while keeping the active resolution at 1920x1200, while CRU creates active resolutions that are sent to the monitor, and the monitor is telling you it doesn't support the resolution.
I'm pretty sure I never enabled GPU scaling (I only found out about that option after adding the 2560x1440 resolution), but your tip to use DSR did solve the problem!
The resulting PPI is even close enough to that of my main monitor that I can use it for a decent triples setup.
Thank you so much for your helpful advice! Smile
03-25-2024, 04:12 PM (Last edited: 03-25-2024, 04:13 PM by MatthiasH)
Hello, I was mainly concerned with increasing the native refresh rate of 60Hz of my Dell UP2516D to 80Hz and activating Freesync.
One issue I had was that 80Hz always seemed a little blurrier than 60Hz and even 75Hz, which happens to be a supported refresh rate in some resolutions.
But then I noticed instead of just adding refresh rates, sometimes one has to edit the "Display Properties" on the top, where one can change the Range limits. Arguably changing the V rate from 50-75 to 50-80 has reduced the blur (approximated to the normal blur of the monitor).
But I will have to test it a little more. (Maybe someone can mention if my assumption about this is wrong anyway.)

My main issue has been with Freesync. Some say, HDMI works best or only. I currently use the Displayport. I also don't see a guide for Displayport, but incidentally on that matter the original post mentions editing the Display Properties as I just said above.
Do I have to try the HDMI cable to see if turning on Freesync is possible?

But then I came across this random comment from 2015, and it makes me wonder:

(09-06-2015 08:55 PM)falkentyne Wrote:  And if this *IS* indeed an XG270HU......this is a FREESYNC monitor. And you are using a GSYNC video chip ..freesync/adaptive sync does NOT work with Nvidia cards, so...why did you buy that monitor? Return it and get an XB270HU...(IMO)

*IF* This is a GSYNC monitor (the XB270HU), then read on.

Is this (still) true, Nvidia cards automatically exclude Freesync support? I'm quite sure this is incorrect, as I tried some Freesync monitors which definitely worked on my GTX 1070. I don't remember if they all showed a Freesync setting in the Nvidia Control Panel, but some did, I think. (And I had the bad luck that around the time Freesync monitors which interested me were slower than the Dell, which is more or less for image editing, but wide gamut was a priority for me too.)
03-25-2024, 07:34 PM
(03-25-2024 04:12 PM)MatthiasH Wrote:  Hello, I was mainly concerned with increasing the native refresh rate of 60Hz of my Dell UP2516D to 80Hz and activating Freesync.
One issue I had was that 80Hz always seemed a little blurrier than 60Hz and even 75Hz, which happens to be a supported refresh rate in some resolutions.
But then I noticed instead of just adding refresh rates, sometimes one has to edit the "Display Properties" on the top, where one can change the Range limits. Arguably changing the V rate from 50-75 to 50-80 has reduced the blur (approximated to the normal blur of the monitor).
But I will have to test it a little more. (Maybe someone can mention if my assumption about this is wrong anyway.)
The UP2516D is not a FreeSync monitor, and the range limits would not affect the image like that.
03-26-2024, 12:40 AM (Last edited: 03-26-2024, 01:10 AM by MatthiasH)
Yes, I'm aware it's not a Freesync monitor, but I thought one could include Freesync on non-Freesync monitors.
But it seems this is mostly for the HDMI-connection, for some reason, correct?

I didn't expect the range limits to activate Freesync, I'm just wondering why there are no instructions of activating Freesync via Displayport connection (as per the Extension blocks), which brings me back to my first point.

What I was saying about the range limits is just that possibly it enabled the monitor to truly produce 80 Hz, instead of some "fake" version (maybe limited by the range limits), which causes blur or rather some slight jitter. But I don't think this actually changes anything. Simply adding custom refresh rates in Detailed resolutions is enough (although the blur in 80Hz compared to 60Hz remains).

Could the other parameters, like Front porch, Back porch, or Total lines etc. possibly have anything to do with blur or jitter at different frequencies? (Everyone might know it from those half and quarter fps over at testufo, though I think to a lesser extent this also applies to different main frequency settings of monitors.)
03-26-2024, 01:45 AM (Last edited: 03-26-2024, 01:47 AM by ToastyX)
(03-26-2024 12:40 AM)MatthiasH Wrote:  Yes, I'm aware it's not a Freesync monitor, but I thought one could include Freesync on non-Freesync monitors.
But it seems this is mostly for the HDMI-connection, for some reason, correct?
No, I've only seen that work with displays without scalers such as laptop screens and those overclockable Korean monitors with DVI from 10 years ago. HDMI monitors almost always have scalers, so that won't work unless the monitor happens to have a scaler that already supports FreeSync. HDMI FreeSync is also AMD proprietary, so that won't work with NVIDIA. NVIDIA only supports DisplayPort adaptive sync and HDMI 2.1 VRR.

(03-26-2024 12:40 AM)MatthiasH Wrote:  I didn't expect the range limits to activate Freesync, I'm just wondering why there are no instructions of activating Freesync via Displayport connection (as per the Extension blocks), which brings me back to my first point.
FreeSync via DisplayPort is built into the DisplayPort protocol as adaptive sync and doesn't use the EDID for anything other than the refresh rate range. There's no way to add FreeSync to a DisplayPort connection.

(03-26-2024 12:40 AM)MatthiasH Wrote:  What I was saying about the range limits is just that possibly it enabled the monitor to truly produce 80 Hz, instead of some "fake" version (maybe limited by the range limits), which causes blur or rather some slight jitter. But I don't think this actually changes anything. Simply adding custom refresh rates in Detailed resolutions is enough (although the blur in 80Hz compared to 60Hz remains).
The range limits descriptor is informational only and doesn't affect anything except the DisplayPort adaptive sync range if the monitor supports adaptive sync. AMD also listens to the pixel clock limit, but NVIDIA doesn't.

(03-26-2024 12:40 AM)MatthiasH Wrote:  Could the other parameters, like Front porch, Back porch, or Total lines etc. possibly have anything to do with blur or jitter at different frequencies? (Everyone might know it from those half and quarter fps over at testufo, though I think to a lesser extent this also applies to different main frequency settings of monitors.)
No.
03-26-2024, 12:06 PM
I am currently trying to teach my LG55B9 OLED a 21:9 resolution with CRU, of course with black bars at the top and bottom, pixel-perfect at best and 60hz is enough for me. But no matter what I do with 3840x1620 etc. I get the message that it is not supported by the B9. Using the Nvidia driver with desktop resizing etc. works, but unfortunately only with 8bit, which I don't want to use. Do you have any ideas how I can get a CR 21:9 resolution with 10Bit or 12Bit and also use HDR etc. @60hz? Greetings Ron