Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-28-2024, 07:48 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Heyo toasty, have a bit of a edge case issue here that I was hoping CRU might be able to help me resolve. I currently have two displays hooked up, a 27" oled monitor and a 48" LG C1 oled tv. The issue im having is that even with my monitor set as my primary display when I turn on my pc with my television turned off I get zero video output until I turn on my television. Doing some finicking with every setting possible and it seems to be an issue with the different resolution categories listed in nvidia control panel. When running a resolution from the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" Category the issue goes away, however when running a resolution from the "PC" or "Custom" Category the issue returns. The thing that sucks here is that the Ultra HD category lacks a 4K@120hz option. Meaning that I have to run 4K@60hz to avoid having to turn on my TV every time I want to use my PC. Is there any way to add a 120hz option into the Ultra HD category? If not that, do you have any suggestions on how to fix what clearly is a bug on nvidias/lg's side. I even tried hooking up a completely different PC and the issue occurs on there also which rules out my system being to blame.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2024, 11:27 PM (Last edited: 03-29-2024, 11:28 PM by jeffeh12133)
(03-28-2024 12:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 08:09 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  Ive done some searching to see the difference between both extension blocks and it seems like VTB-EXT is the way to go for displayport. and yes, i know CTA 861 is supported by displayport too but i honestly feel like the image/video is much smoother and doesnt have as much flickering/artifacting/color issues as when i have it set to CTA-861, both identical extension blocks with the same settings.

do you have any input on why this is? ive read the documents on both cta-861 and vtb-ext, they both seem to have the same goal in mind, to provide info to the GPU. can i use VTB-EXT as a replacement and what is the difference between both? why does the image look smoother?
You're hallucinating.
perhaps. but they are both extension blocks, they both contain the same resolutions, they both do the same thing, moninfo changes extension block listing from (CEA/CTA-861) to (VTB-EXT), so a change is 100% done. i just wanted to know if there is any difference in how the resolutions within each extension block is sent. or do they just have the same exact function minus the VTB allowing colorimetry, audio, and other stuff?
03-30-2024, 10:34 AM
well I found solution for my problems with freesync range on rdna3
just change value of freesync in "extension block > cta > freesync". Not just in active monitor > edit
04-03-2024, 01:41 PM
(03-30-2024 10:34 AM)Slay Wrote:  well I found solution for my problems with freesync range on rdna3
just change value of freesync in "extension block > cta > freesync". Not just in active monitor > edit
DisplayPort or HDMI?
04-03-2024, 01:41 PM
(03-29-2024 11:27 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  perhaps. but they are both extension blocks, they both contain the same resolutions, they both do the same thing, moninfo changes extension block listing from (CEA/CTA-861) to (VTB-EXT), so a change is 100% done. i just wanted to know if there is any difference in how the resolutions within each extension block is sent. or do they just have the same exact function minus the VTB allowing colorimetry, audio, and other stuff?
Detailed resolutions are exactly the same with both extension blocks. VTB is normally not used in the wild. I provided it as a way to add more standard resolutions for CRT users.
04-03-2024, 01:42 PM
(03-28-2024 07:48 PM)HyperSlayer72 Wrote:  Heyo toasty, have a bit of a edge case issue here that I was hoping CRU might be able to help me resolve. I currently have two displays hooked up, a 27" oled monitor and a 48" LG C1 oled tv. The issue im having is that even with my monitor set as my primary display when I turn on my pc with my television turned off I get zero video output until I turn on my television. Doing some finicking with every setting possible and it seems to be an issue with the different resolution categories listed in nvidia control panel. When running a resolution from the "Ultra HD, HD, SD" Category the issue goes away, however when running a resolution from the "PC" or "Custom" Category the issue returns. The thing that sucks here is that the Ultra HD category lacks a 4K@120hz option. Meaning that I have to run 4K@60hz to avoid having to turn on my TV every time I want to use my PC. Is there any way to add a 120hz option into the Ultra HD category? If not that, do you have any suggestions on how to fix what clearly is a bug on nvidias/lg's side. I even tried hooking up a completely different PC and the issue occurs on there also which rules out my system being to blame.
Try editing the detailed resolution to use "Automatic HDTV" timing with the refresh rate at exactly 120 Hz. If that doesn't work, try adding it to the TV resolutions data block in the CTA-861 extension block.
04-03-2024, 01:42 PM
(03-28-2024 03:42 PM)b0uncyfr0 Wrote:  If im adding ultra wide resolutions for a LG CX - what timings should i use? It is an OLED afterall, and there are way too many options.
"Automatic HDTV" is usually sufficient. If the TV doesn't support the resolution, use GPU scaling. The timing doesn't matter with GPU scaling, and it's easier to add GPU-scaled resolutions with SRE: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
04-06-2024, 08:22 AM (Last edited: 04-06-2024, 04:17 PM by theyeti252)
I downloaded CRU to add 10 bit color permanently to my 240hz display. While this has worked flawlessly on my ASUS VG259QM (thank you), in the meantime, it has reconfigured my 2nd monitor which is an Acer XB273k. Whenever I'm under Detailed Resolutions, I can no longer choose both the 120hz refresh rate and the 4k resolution without checking interlacing. It doesn't matter which timing I select, it remains red. Trying to go to 1440p doesn't solve the issue either.

CRU seems to think it's connected via HDMI when it's really connected via DisplayPort
04-09-2024, 09:01 AM (Last edited: 04-09-2024, 09:56 AM by ArtMov)
Hi, Is it possible to get 10 bit via dp 240hz?
It’s also interesting, I had resolutions display id 1.3, I deleted it and transferred the resolutions to display id 2.0, what does this do and could there be problems?)
04-09-2024, 08:53 PM
(04-09-2024 09:01 AM)ArtMov Wrote:  Hi, Is it possible to get 10 bit via dp 240hz?
It’s also interesting, I had resolutions display id 1.3, I deleted it and transferred the resolutions to display id 2.0, what does this do and could there be problems?)
That would depend on the resolution. If there is bandwidth for it, then yes. The DisplayID version doesn't really matter if it's just detailed resolutions. DisplayID 2.0 supports 3 decimal places for the pixel clock for more precision, but the hardware might not support such precision.