Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-26-2024, 01:29 PM (Last edited: 03-26-2024, 04:48 PM by Kristijan1001)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello,

I have a Philips 55 OLED 718 and i am trying to get FreeSync to work through a DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter. The VRR works when using an HDMI. But the problem is i have an 2070 Super that doesn't support 2.1. So i bought an DP to HDMI 2.1 and a 2.1 HDMI Cable.

The problem is, when i connect the TV to my pc, In Nvidia i can set 12bpc Full Range 120hz, but the TV only reads it as 12bpc Limited Range and the Colors become screwed up, this is one of the problems. To fix the colors i can set it to 12bpc Limited range and seems fine.

Now for the GSync part, i can enable GSync in NVidia Control panel for the display. The problem is GSync doesnt actaully work. I downloaded the demo from NVidia Website and tested multiple games the GSync logo never shows up even tho Gsync is enabled in NVCP.

I read online that in order to get VRR working though the adapter i have to make the PC send an HDMI VRR Signal instead of DP VRR signal. Since the TV is receiving a DP VRR Signal it doesn't even detect it. I assume its the same issue with Full Range RGB, the TV is detecting it as a Limited Signal for some reason even tho in NVidia its set to Full RGB and in the process it screws up the color. I read that this can be fixed using CRU. But i have no idea where to start.

If anyone has any way to help on what to change to get the Full 12BPC Full Range + GSYnc working i would appreciate it. I can also offer more info if needed.

Thank you.

I also made a thread here:

Sorry for double post, i will remove it if it is an issue.

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...k-CRU-Help

Edit;

This is what i found dunno how to do it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comme...are_button
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2024, 02:12 PM
Hello everyone. I have a QN700b 55' 8k Samsung tv that I am using as my primary display. So I am in a bit of a unique situation as I don't think this is a very common setup and I have not been able to find a solution for the problem I have been having. For some reason in the Nvidia control panel the "customize resolution button" is greyed out so I cannot try to add new resolutions. With the program CRU when I tried adding resolutions they do not appear in Nvidia control panel. Even upon inspecting with regedit in ->Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\​Configuration editing the values here had no affect. Can someone please advise me on possible remedies for this? My main goal is to create a custom resolution of 7680x2610 so it would be selectable in various games, with this resolution I can have an ultrawide display with games running on it and two small windows at the top for productivity while gaming.
03-27-2024, 09:55 AM (Last edited: 03-28-2024, 04:07 AM by Dreamic)
If anyone else here has white line flicker issue I mentioned in my earlier posts, please try disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling and check again.

Edit: nevermind, just saw it again. just didnt happen for a lot longer maybe coincidence
03-27-2024, 02:48 PM
Hi, I have two Acer monitors XV272U V. They are both capable of 2560x1440 @ 170hz. When I enable 170 Hz on one, the other one defaults itself at 60 Hz. After I manually choose 170 Hz on the 60 Hz monitor the other one defaults itself to 165 Hz. If I restart the PC the monitor with 170 Hz keeps its refresh rate, while the other defaults back to 60 Hz. In CRU i am not able to add the 2560x1440 @ 170hz res. Whenever I type in the refresh rate 170, it becomes red and it doesn't let me save it. I tried to copy the settings from DisplayID 1.3: 1 data block (that one has 2560x1440 @170 Hz), but it wont let me save it like this either. One monitor is connected via DP to DP and another one via DP to USB-C to my PC. Graphic card is a crappy Intel Arc (i5 13th Gen). Disabling or enabeling Freesync in the monitors OSD doesn't help either. Anyone can share some light in this issue? This will be greatly appreciated.
03-27-2024, 08:09 PM (Last edited: 03-27-2024, 08:32 PM by jeffeh12133)
(03-07-2024 12:05 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  There's nothing different about resolutions in the extension block. You're talking about GPU scaling. CRU only deals with active signal resolutions, but lower resolutions can be scaled to the first detailed resolution if you enable GPU scaling in Intel's control panel. The problem is Windows doesn't provide a way to set the resolution below 640x480, so assuming the driver allows 384x128, you'll need a third-party program to actually set that resolution. I don't know how you did it before because that was always the case.

Interesting.

on that note, i noticed in CRU that my monitor has the default CTA-861 extension block, but when i click the arrow to see what else it contains, i see a listing of "VTB-EXT" extension block, which contains a duplicate of the resolutions contained in CTA-861 block, minus the colorimetry and hdmi and other stuff in cta.

Ive done some searching to see the difference between both extension blocks and it seems like VTB-EXT is the way to go for displayport. and yes, i know CTA 861 is supported by displayport too but i honestly feel like the image/video is much smoother and doesnt have as much flickering/artifacting/color issues as when i have it set to CTA-861, both identical extension blocks with the same settings.

do you have any input on why this is? ive read the documents on both cta-861 and vtb-ext, they both seem to have the same goal in mind, to provide info to the GPU. can i use VTB-EXT as a replacement and what is the difference between both? why does the image look smoother?

edit: i use displayport to connect my display. Acer xb253q GP and it supports DP 1.2/1.4 (g-sync compatible) and HDMI
03-28-2024, 12:57 AM
(03-27-2024 08:09 PM)jeffeh12133 Wrote:  Ive done some searching to see the difference between both extension blocks and it seems like VTB-EXT is the way to go for displayport. and yes, i know CTA 861 is supported by displayport too but i honestly feel like the image/video is much smoother and doesnt have as much flickering/artifacting/color issues as when i have it set to CTA-861, both identical extension blocks with the same settings.

do you have any input on why this is? ive read the documents on both cta-861 and vtb-ext, they both seem to have the same goal in mind, to provide info to the GPU. can i use VTB-EXT as a replacement and what is the difference between both? why does the image look smoother?
You're hallucinating.
(03-27-2024 02:48 PM)alegri Wrote:  Hi, I have two Acer monitors XV272U V. They are both capable of 2560x1440 @ 170hz. When I enable 170 Hz on one, the other one defaults itself at 60 Hz. After I manually choose 170 Hz on the 60 Hz monitor the other one defaults itself to 165 Hz. If I restart the PC the monitor with 170 Hz keeps its refresh rate, while the other defaults back to 60 Hz. In CRU i am not able to add the 2560x1440 @ 170hz res. Whenever I type in the refresh rate 170, it becomes red and it doesn't let me save it. I tried to copy the settings from DisplayID 1.3: 1 data block (that one has 2560x1440 @170 Hz), but it wont let me save it like this either. One monitor is connected via DP to DP and another one via DP to USB-C to my PC. Graphic card is a crappy Intel Arc (i5 13th Gen). Disabling or enabeling Freesync in the monitors OSD doesn't help either. Anyone can share some light in this issue? This will be greatly appreciated.
Your GPU can't run both at 170 Hz. There's no point in adding a refresh rate that's already there.
(03-26-2024 02:12 PM)sinsforeal Wrote:  Hello everyone. I have a QN700b 55' 8k Samsung tv that I am using as my primary display. So I am in a bit of a unique situation as I don't think this is a very common setup and I have not been able to find a solution for the problem I have been having. For some reason in the Nvidia control panel the "customize resolution button" is greyed out so I cannot try to add new resolutions. With the program CRU when I tried adding resolutions they do not appear in Nvidia control panel. Even upon inspecting with regedit in ->Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\​Configuration editing the values here had no affect. Can someone please advise me on possible remedies for this? My main goal is to create a custom resolution of 7680x2610 so it would be selectable in various games, with this resolution I can have an ultrawide display with games running on it and two small windows at the top for productivity while gaming.
NVIDIA has limitations with DSC. Try SRE: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE
03-28-2024, 01:45 PM
hi there, I have 7900xtx and I can't set the lower range of freesync via CRU, I saw several messages in early 2023 that the driver for rdna3 ignores the EDID settings, is there still no way to fix it? even custom drivers like r.id don't they help?
03-28-2024, 03:42 PM
If im adding ultra wide resolutions for a LG CX - what timings should i use? It is an OLED afterall, and there are way too many options.