120hz overclock, image retention and timers
11-07-2013, 12:38 PM
120hz overclock, image retention and timers
Hi

I have recently acquired a X-Star DP2710. I used your tools to successfully overclock it to 120hz, with no frame skipping, all fine and dandy. My GPU is a GTX 460.

However, I noticed image retention at increased refresh rates. According to several posts in forums, this is normal and it goes away once you revert back to 60hz, which is fine, so I'm using 120hz only when needed (specific games).

However, I also read that it might be possible to reduce that by tweaking the timers on the custom resolution set by CRU. While this doesn't bother me too much, I can't help but wonder if this might be true and if using 120hz might cause damage to my monitor in the long run, and maybe tweaking those settings might alleviate that. Would this be possible?

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2013, 03:50 PM
RE: 120hz overclock, image retention and timers
I don't know if it will help the image retention, but you should reduce the timing parameters anyway because the default timing parameters will waste bandwidth for no benefit. Did you try the "LCD reduced" timing option? That will get you most of the way there. The X-Star can be reduced further by setting the horizontal total to 2652 and the vertical total to 1445.
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I did not, I wasn't sure what "reduced" was about, so I went with the "safe" option. I did try it now and apparently it works just fine, so I'll stick to it and see if it has any impact on the retention, but i doubit it.

Also, 2652 / 1445 is specific to 120hz, right? The values for 96hz seem higher.
11-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Those totals will work at lower refresh rates. That's just what the QNIX/X-Star monitors can handle at 120 Hz.