AMD virtual super resolutions on custom native resolutions.
08-09-2022, 12:10 PM
AMD virtual super resolutions on custom native resolutions.
How may I use AMD virtual super resolutions if I'm not using one of the resolutions available for the option to show up? I'm using a CRT and I'd greatly appriciate to be able to run at greater resolutions since a ton of games require a minimum resolution of 1024x768.

I'm on 720x540 120hz (I can also do 800x600 110hz), but I wanna be able to add a virtual desktop resolution of 1280x960 120hz (that's still 540p on the monitor's end but 960p on the GPU), currently it's not possible cause the AMD VSR option is only available for monitors with a native 1366x768, 1600x900 or 1920x1080.

Interlaced also doesn't work on my Monitor.

Is there any sort of workaround or alternative method for higher desktop resolutions?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2022, 02:44 AM
RE: AMD virtual super resolutions on custom native resolutions.
The only options that come to mind are not easy to do or explain.

1. If you create a custom resolution using AMD's software, it has two places to enter the resolution: "Resolution (px)" is the virtual resolution, and "Timing Display" is the actual resolution. In theory, it should be possible to set "Resolution (px)" to 1280x960 and "Timing Display" to 720x540 to make it scale down, but the software might not allow that, claiming the resolution isn't compatible with the display. If that happens, the workaround would be to create a dummy custom resolution that it does allow so you can save it, and then try to find where AMD's software stores the custom resolution in the registry so you can edit it, but it will be in binary. This is what people used to do before VSR came out, but the data formats and locations might have changed since then. Maybe you can figure something out from these links:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=2608
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.366244/

2. The only other method would be to modify the driver like I do for the pixel clock patcher, but finding where the limitations are in the driver is not an easy task because it's all binary code.

I'm surprised interlaced doesn't work with your CRT. The limitation might be the GPU, not the monitor. If you're using an RX 5000/6000-series GPU, those don't support interlaced. If you're using an earlier GPU with a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, the GPU might not support interlaced with DisplayPort. HDMI to VGA should work. If you have a GPU that supports VGA directly, then I guess it is the monitor.
08-11-2022, 02:57 PM
RE: AMD virtual super resolutions on custom native resolutions.
(08-11-2022 02:44 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The only options that come to mind are not easy to do or explain.

1. If you create a custom resolution using AMD's software, it has two places to enter the resolution: "Resolution (px)" is the virtual resolution, and "Timing Display" is the actual resolution. In theory, it should be possible to set "Resolution (px)" to 1280x960 and "Timing Display" to 720x540 to make it scale down, but the software might not allow that, claiming the resolution isn't compatible with the display. If that happens, the workaround would be to create a dummy custom resolution that it does allow so you can save it, and then try to find where AMD's software stores the custom resolution in the registry so you can edit it, but it will be in binary. This is what people used to do before VSR came out, but the data formats and locations might have changed since then. Maybe you can figure something out from these links:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=2608
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/downsa...on.366244/

2. The only other method would be to modify the driver like I do for the pixel clock patcher, but finding where the limitations are in the driver is not an easy task because it's all binary code.

I'm surprised interlaced doesn't work with your CRT. The limitation might be the GPU, not the monitor. If you're using an RX 5000/6000-series GPU, those don't support interlaced. If you're using an earlier GPU with a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, the GPU might not support interlaced with DisplayPort. HDMI to VGA should work. If you have a GPU that supports VGA directly, then I guess it is the monitor.

Yeah, unfourtunately AMD's drivers didn't let me modify the timing display's from the actual resolution. And CRU didn't even have such option (timing total would appear red upon modifying).

That aside, I've had no luck with either method 1 or 2 unfourtunately. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong cause all of this seems like giberish to me.

I'm running on an RX 580 and using a DP>VGA adapter since my card has no analogue output. Sometimes I wish I had gotten myself a GTX 1060.