Asus VE247T ghosting
11-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Asus VE247T ghosting
I have a huge ghosting problem on my Asus VE247T.

It is like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bpf2vIHxPM
Or this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9OJQOArAM4
(even if the last one is taken from ASUS VE248H)

The second video provides a "solution" accessing a hidden menu.

That solves the problem, but only temporarly, since everytime the monitor goes to sleep i have to repeat the procedure.

is there any way to resolve this issue with softwares like lightboost or similar? or by making an hardware mod?

thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2013, 03:41 AM
RE: Asus VE247T ghosting
There is no way to resolve that with software. The ghosting is caused by the overdrive implementation in that monitor, and there's no way to turn it off permanently with that model.

Return the monitor if you can and get a different model with controllable overdrive such as the VS247H-P or the VS248H-P. Those models also have IPS panels for better colors and viewing angles.

LightBoost is meant to eliminate motion blur, not ghosting. In fact, there's some ghosting in LightBoost mode because of response time limitations. If you want to use LightBoost, you'll need a LightBoost-capable monitor such as the VG248QE.
11-22-2013, 07:00 AM
I was of the understanding that the terms ghosting and motion denoted the same phenomenon in the context of computer rendered graphics? Sad
11-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your answers. There is any hope Asus can replace my monitor? I've bought it like 40 days ago.
11-23-2013, 02:33 AM
If they replace the monitor, chances are they'll just send you the same model with the same problem. You might be able to get them to send a different model if you're persistent enough about the problem.
11-23-2013, 02:38 AM
(11-22-2013 07:00 AM)Black Octagon Wrote:  I was of the understanding that the terms ghosting and motion denoted the same phenomenon in the context of computer rendered graphics? Sad
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/

Ghosting is afterimages caused by slow pixel response times, and inverse ghosting is caused by badly-tuned overdrive.

Motion blur is caused by retinal persistence combined with sample and hold displays. The image that sticks to your eyes blends with the image that's still on the screen, which causes a blurring effect when your eyes are tracking motion.
11-23-2013, 07:53 AM (Last edited: 11-23-2013, 07:53 AM by Black Octagon)
Thanks. Mark had explained those two phenomena to me on [H] using the same term, I.e., (1) 'motion blur' caused by pixel persistence, and (2) (perceived) motion blur caused by how the human eye tracks sample and hold displays. In both cases I had understood the visual experiences as one of 'streaking'/ghosting. I understand that they are two different phenomena but had understood that they 'look' the same, at least at high speeds