BL3201PT 4K overclock
11-14-2016, 03:01 AM
BL3201PT 4K overclock
Hi There,

I've always wondered about overclocking my display but never looked into it, hence me now arriving here, I recently upgraded to a BenQ BL3201PT 4K monitor and love it. I have a GTX1080 overclocked and in the right game\settings FPS above 60 is easy enough.

So before I dive into overclocking the BenQ, I wanted to know if overclocking at 4K was any different to lower resolution monitors? I ask this because I notice there are very few 4K screens on the market with a refresh rate over 60 so I was wondering is that a limitation of 4K that manufacturers are aware of, and if I try to overclock mine should I expect to be aiming my sites lower? For example will I only achieve a few Hz over the base 60, or anything at all?

What is the normal cumulative increase when overclocking Hz? 2-3 at a time?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2016, 04:20 AM
RE: BL3201PT 4K overclock
I doubt that monitor will be able to handle higher refresh rates. Generally the only monitors above 1920x1080 that can handle refresh rates greater than 60 Hz are monitors without scalers or monitors specifically designed to handle higher refresh rates like FreeSync/G-SYNC monitors. Other monitors will either skip frames or give an out of range message.
11-14-2016, 05:42 AM (Last edited: 11-14-2016, 05:49 AM by {VIPER})
RE: BL3201PT 4K overclock

(11-14-2016 04:20 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I doubt that monitor will be able to handle higher refresh rates. Generally the only monitors above 1920x1080 that can handle refresh rates greater than 60 Hz are monitors without scalers or monitors specifically designed to handle higher refresh rates like FreeSync/G-SYNC monitors. Other monitors will either skip frames or give an out of range message.
Good to know, I haven't tried it yet. I assume like most things no real damage can be done as long as your sensible?

Just did a bit more reading and found one guy that overclocked, it would go up to 75Hz but was skipping frames at anything above 62Hz.
Probably not worth the effort Tongue