Cannot overclock my QX2710 - AMD Crossfire
05-13-2014, 02:53 AM
Cannot overclock my QX2710 - AMD Crossfire
Alrighty, I'm hoping someone here can give me a hand with this since I've run out of places to ask haha.

I recently bought a QNIX QX2710 Evolution II and it's absolutely gorgeous. I'm running a Crossfire setup with an XFX HD7970 Double D GHz Edition and an ASUS R9 280x Direct CU II TOP Edition. I have two Crossfire cables connected right now as the guide for overclocking this monitor said it required two.

Anyway, I followed all the proper steps to OC it. I patched my drivers and created custom profiles using CRU. I created a 96, 110, and 120 Hz profile, then restarted my PC. Using Catalyst Control Center, I tested all 3 new profiles. The 120 caused massive amounts of green lines everywhere, but the 110 and 96 worked great.

However, when I went to test it using the Frame Skip test on blurbusters, it says my refresh rate is only 60 Hz...

I then created a 48 Hz profile, just to test. By setting my refresh rate to 48Hz in Catalyst Control Center and running the blurbusters test, my refresh rate shows up at 48Hz. Reset to any of the other profiles (60, 96, or 110) and it still only shows my FPS and refresh rate at 60Hz.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2014, 05:45 AM
RE: Cannot overclock my QX2710 - AMD Crossfire
Do you have the DVI-only variant? Multi-input models skip frames even though they appear to accept an OC
05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
(05-13-2014 02:53 AM)Greyhame888 Wrote:  Anyway, I followed all the proper steps to OC it. I patched my drivers and created custom profiles using CRU. I created a 96, 110, and 120 Hz profile, then restarted my PC. Using Catalyst Control Center, I tested all 3 new profiles. The 120 caused massive amounts of green lines everywhere, but the 110 and 96 worked great.

However, when I went to test it using the Frame Skip test on blurbusters, it says my refresh rate is only 60 Hz...
That test reports the vsync frame rate, not the actual refresh rate. Sounds to me like you're able to overclock, but the frame rate is wrong.

AMD's driver has an issue with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides might not take effect after rebooting, or if they do take effect, the frame rate might be wrong on the desktop. I don't know if that also affects games because I haven't used Windows 8.1. Have you tested any games to see if they run smoothly?

Try restarting the driver using this: https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip

If that works, rename restart64.exe to restart-only.exe and put it in the Startup folder (Win+R shell:startup) to automatically restart the driver on startup.

(05-13-2014 05:45 AM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Do you have the DVI-only variant? Multi-input models skip frames even though they appear to accept an OC
That would not cause the test to report the wrong refresh rate. The test is supposed to be used with a camera to test for frame skipping.
05-16-2014, 10:23 PM (Last edited: 05-16-2014, 10:24 PM by Greyhame888)
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I tried the restart command and it it had no effect. The test still only reports 60 Hz and 60 fps. Any other ideas?

As for video games, I have tried a few (Metro Last Light, BF4, Bioshock Infinite) and they seem to run smoother, but I can't be sure.
05-17-2014, 12:39 PM
That should not be a problem with Windows 7. Make sure you're using one of the Aero themes and not Basic or Classic because the test requires desktop composition for vsync to work correctly. This would not affect full-screen games, so the overclock should be working as long as the game is using the correct refresh rate.
05-21-2014, 01:30 AM
(05-17-2014 12:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That should not be a problem with Windows 7. Make sure you're using one of the Aero themes and not Basic or Classic because the test requires desktop composition for vsync to work correctly. This would not affect full-screen games, so the overclock should be working as long as the game is using the correct refresh rate.

Toasty you're a genius! It was as simple as turning on an Aero theme and everything works great. Thanks!