Catleap oc vs Qnix or X-Star
07-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Catleap oc vs Qnix or X-Star
I'm new here and trying to decide which monitor to buy. The Catleap I am looking at is a private sale for one "new but tested" from here in the US at about $700 or taking even more of a chance on a $300 PLS monitor from overseas(green-sum I think). I see a lot of people gravitating toward the Samsung based panels.
Is there a reason beside price for this? I am not a gamer but do a lot of cad and photo work and use several RC flight sims. I have an i7 (1156 version) 16gigs of ram and an Evga GTX 760 2Gig card.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-29-2013, 04:55 AM (Last edited: 07-29-2013, 04:56 AM by Black Octagon)
RE: Catleap oc vs Qnix or X-Star
Main reasons are price and availability. The Catleap 2B has increased a lot in price since it hit the market, whereas the PLS ones you mention are still a smoking deal despite also being budget in the quality department

P.S., for your uses perhaps 120hz isn't quite so interesting as it is for gamers?
07-29-2013, 08:22 AM (Last edited: 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM by A Monell)
Thanks Black Octagon for your reply.
Yes I am mainly interested in the resolution and picture quality. However even though my current monitor is only at 60mhz I swear my higher end RC Sim (Aerofly5) seems a lot smother at 120 FPS than say 96 FPS. does this make any sense.
Also when you say "quality department" are you referring purely to the physical aspects of the units or are they more likely to have degraded performance or defects? This would be a strong point toward the Catleap Q270 2b.
Thanks for your and anyone elses thoughts.

(07-29-2013 04:55 AM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Main reasons are price and availability. The Catleap 2B has increased a lot in price since it hit the market, whereas the PLS ones you mention are still a smoking deal despite also being budget in the quality department

P.S., for your uses perhaps 120hz isn't quite so interesting as it is for gamers?
07-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Well the PLS one I'm thinking about (QNIX QX2710) is pretty budget in that the houising and stand are both a cheap plasticky affair. Also, several users have reported a dimming/darkening of the image when the QNIX is overclocked (something that doesn't affect the overclockable IPS screens like the Tempest X270OC or Catleap 2B).
07-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your help. I couldn't justify the price of the Catleap and I found this US site with prices as good as overseas and what looks like a good return policy so I went for one of these (the same as you were referring to)
http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/QNIX-QX271...p/qni1.htm
(07-29-2013 07:56 PM)Black Octagon Wrote:  Well the PLS one I'm thinking about (QNIX QX2710) is pretty budget in that the houising and stand are both a cheap plasticky affair. Also, several users have reported a dimming/darkening of the image when the QNIX is overclocked (something that doesn't affect the overclockable IPS screens like the Tempest X270OC or Catleap 2B).