Crossfire Out of Memory Error
11-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Crossfire Out of Memory Error
I've been having a weird issue when running 2 GPUs in crossfire, my VRAM usage skyrockets. Wondering if this is attributed to using the pixel clock patcher or CRU.

I am running a Overlord monitor OC'd to 120hz in conjunction with AMD Pixel Clock Patcher / CRU. AMD driver 13.11 b8 - I've tested drivers going back to WHQL 13.4 and they all seem to have same issue. 2 crossfire bridges connected (is that still required?)

When running identical GFX quality settings (1x 7970 vs 2x 7970 ) I have large variances in memory usage, with 2x 7970 using almost twice the VRAM. In demanding games this maxes out the 3GB buffer and I get a directx OUT OF MEMORY error and the game crashes.

For example, BF4 on 1 GPU @ ULTRA - NO MSAA = 1.9GB VRAM
2 GPU same settings = jumps to 3GB and game quickly crashes with error. This jump in VRAM usage is across the board; games like BF3/BF4 or benchmark tools like 3dMark11/Unigine Valley.

I searched the error and some said to enable page file, which I had at 1024mb, increased to 4096mb with same result. Also tested @60hz to reduce bandwidth but same issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 10:03 PM
RE: Crossfire Out of Memory Error
(11-10-2013 10:25 PM)nugget toes Wrote:  I've been having a weird issue when running 2 GPUs in crossfire, my VRAM usage skyrockets. Wondering if this is attributed to using the pixel clock patcher or CRU.
Neither would cause that to happen. I don't have a CrossFire setup, so I don't know if the increase in memory usage is normal or not, but you should not be running out of memory in games. Have you tried the other CrossFire rendering modes?

(11-10-2013 10:25 PM)nugget toes Wrote:  I am running a Overlord monitor OC'd to 120hz in conjunction with AMD Pixel Clock Patcher / CRU. AMD driver 13.11 b8 - I've tested drivers going back to WHQL 13.4 and they all seem to have same issue. 2 crossfire bridges connected (is that still required?)
Usually when people have odd issues with CrossFire at higher pixel clocks, adding a second bridge helps, but if you're having this problem at 60 Hz, then something else is causing the problem.

(11-10-2013 10:25 PM)nugget toes Wrote:  When running identical GFX quality settings (1x 7970 vs 2x 7970 ) I have large variances in memory usage, with 2x 7970 using almost twice the VRAM. In demanding games this maxes out the 3GB buffer and I get a directx OUT OF MEMORY error and the game crashes.

For example, BF4 on 1 GPU @ ULTRA - NO MSAA = 1.9GB VRAM
2 GPU same settings = jumps to 3GB and game quickly crashes with error. This jump in VRAM usage is across the board; games like BF3/BF4 or benchmark tools like 3dMark11/Unigine Valley.

I searched the error and some said to enable page file, which I had at 1024mb, increased to 4096mb with same result. Also tested @60hz to reduce bandwidth but same issue.
BF4 might have its own set of issues that can cause high memory usage, but if you're getting the error with other games, then something weird is going on. You should not be getting the error at 60 Hz. Have you tried 60 Hz without the patch?
11-13-2013, 02:09 AM
RE: Crossfire Out of Memory Error
Thanks for quick reply. I set the page file to "auto size" and have not had the crash since. Not ideal seeing as it's an SSD, plus 8 GB RAM with half of it not being used by Windows.