Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-09-2017, 04:42 AM (Last edited: 06-09-2017, 04:43 AM by maftul)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
@ToastyX, thank you for this great piece of software. I recently encountered a strange anomaly and I was hoping you might be able to help me with it.

I have OCed my monitor using CRU from 60 Hz to 80 Hz @1920x1080. I currently have the monitor connected to my VGA (HD 7950) via HDMI. I also have an intermediate refresh rate of 75 Hz which I use for desktop, since 80 Hz will result in a too-low value for vertical blanking and will not allow memory clocks to go down as mentioned in the opening post of this thread. For games that do have a refresh rate option, I set the refresh rate in the game to 80 Hz, but always keep it at 75 Hz for desktop.

What I noticed recently after starting to use the monitor speakers instead of headphones for audio output is that in games, as long as I set the refresh rate to 75 Hz or below, audio comes out from the monitor speakers, but if I set the refresh to 80 Hz, the audio from the monitor stops and automatically switches to the sound card on the motherboard; in this case, I can only hear the audio if I connect a headphone/speaker to the sound card. I have so far tested and confirmed this in two different games. Any idea what is causing this and if there is any work-around?

Please note that I created the custom resolutions with CRU a long time ago and have been importing from my CRU backup after every new driver installation (maybe I need to recreate them?). I am currently using the AMD Crimson Driver v17.6.1 (same thing also happened with v17.5.2). My OS is Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2017, 11:20 AM
ToastyX,

Sorry, the asterisk was only shown after the first run of CRU.exe, error in editing.

I ran reset-all.exe to make sure, and it was back to no asterisk until I ran CRU.exe.

I tried to edit the 1600x1200 entry under Standard Resolutions by setting the refresh rate to 60, but that made no change.

In all cases I have tried both restart.exe and a Windows restart after running the CRU.exe (just to make sure, I edited something before pressing OK to exit CRU.exe).

I also tried to set the refresh rate for 1600x1200 to 56Hz because that value was mentioned under Established Resolutions (albeit without a tick mark), but that showed up as red so seemingly I can go no lower than 60Hz.
06-09-2017, 02:34 PM
(06-09-2017 11:20 AM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  I tried to edit the 1600x1200 entry under Standard Resolutions by setting the refresh rate to 60, but that made no change.

In all cases I have tried both restart.exe and a Windows restart after running the CRU.exe (just to make sure, I edited something before pressing OK to exit CRU.exe).

I also tried to set the refresh rate for 1600x1200 to 56Hz because that value was mentioned under Established Resolutions (albeit without a tick mark), but that showed up as red so seemingly I can go no lower than 60Hz.
Try 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz as a detailed resolution using the "CRT standard" timing option. If that doesn't show up, make sure you have this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/
06-09-2017, 02:42 PM
(06-09-2017 04:42 AM)maftul Wrote:  @ToastyX, thank you for this great piece of software. I recently encountered a strange anomaly and I was hoping you might be able to help me with it.

I have OCed my monitor using CRU from 60 Hz to 80 Hz @1920x1080. I currently have the monitor connected to my VGA (HD 7950) via HDMI. I also have an intermediate refresh rate of 75 Hz which I use for desktop, since 80 Hz will result in a too-low value for vertical blanking and will not allow memory clocks to go down as mentioned in the opening post of this thread. For games that do have a refresh rate option, I set the refresh rate in the game to 80 Hz, but always keep it at 75 Hz for desktop.

What I noticed recently after starting to use the monitor speakers instead of headphones for audio output is that in games, as long as I set the refresh rate to 75 Hz or below, audio comes out from the monitor speakers, but if I set the refresh to 80 Hz, the audio from the monitor stops and automatically switches to the sound card on the motherboard; in this case, I can only hear the audio if I connect a headphone/speaker to the sound card. I have so far tested and confirmed this in two different games. Any idea what is causing this and if there is any work-around?
HDMI audio is sent in the video signal during the blanking periods, so audio won't work if the blanking is too low.
06-09-2017, 02:44 PM
(06-08-2017 10:57 PM)mynm Wrote:  That's what I did, using DDU to completely uninstall the driver, and I didn't have any problem until setting the bin I'm used to use. Deleting the config I don't have the problem.

So I'm sure I get the problems with my config. And I didn't have the problems before the creators update.
You didn't mention you were trying something weird. What monitor are you using? Is it a FreeSync monitor?
06-09-2017, 05:13 PM (Last edited: 06-09-2017, 05:50 PM by mynm)
(06-09-2017 02:44 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 10:57 PM)mynm Wrote:  That's what I did, using DDU to completely uninstall the driver, and I didn't have any problem until setting the bin I'm used to use. Deleting the config I don't have the problem.

So I'm sure I get the problems with my config. And I didn't have the problems before the creators update.
You didn't mention you were trying something weird. What monitor are you using? Is it a FreeSync monitor?

It's not a freesync monitor is a LG ips234, but the bin is of a LG TV, freesync isn't working.
I know that a more wide range is needed to do the freesync to work, but it's not working with a wide range, I have it disabled. Erasing the freesync range I get the same problem.

Do you think that maybe the "override maximun TMDS clock 220mhz" could be causing the problem?. Edited: Is not the problem.

I also have problems with HWinfo64.

I will try to do a new config to see if is working.

Edit: even with this simple config I get the same problems.

Attached File(s)
.bin  config2.bin (Size: 256 bytes / Downloads: 384)
06-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Try 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz as a detailed resolution using the "CRT standard" timing option. If that doesn't show up, make sure you have this driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/
[/quote]

I just tried that, with no luck; I tried both restart.exe and Windows restart.

I downloaded that driver before I started on the CRU.exe, to meet the requirements stated in your first post.
06-10-2017, 06:37 AM (Last edited: 06-10-2017, 06:37 AM by maftul)
(06-09-2017 02:42 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  HDMI audio is sent in the video signal during the blanking periods, so audio won't work if the blanking is too low.

Thank you for the reply, that makes perfect sense.

Is there a known threshold for the minimum blanking that also allows audio output, or does it depend on the monitor?
06-10-2017, 01:39 PM
(06-08-2017 07:02 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-04-2017 10:15 PM)lukilla Wrote:  I guess it doesn´t work like that, when I add a custom resolution with CRU then the CP custom resolutions get wiped out.
Try adding custom resolutions with CRU first before using the NVIDIA control panel. The driver might be interpreting EDID changes as different monitors.

Once I add a resolution with CRU the nvidia control panel can´t enable the second monitor nor access functions for it, maybe because it´s vga it wont work properly with CRU?.
06-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Hey ToastyX, can you explain why the AMD driver allows me to choose between only between 2 RGB modes when I turn my LG monitor to 76Hz, but before I did that it also allowed 2 extra YCbCr modes?

Picture related:

[Image: Ffe9muK.png]