Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-20-2017, 07:04 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-17-2017 03:31 PM)nmcd83 Wrote:  Rebooting has no affect, turning off g sync didn't work either. Any ideas?
Use the "Edit..." button at the top and try including the range limits. If that doesn't help, export a file (any format) and give it to me so I can see the complete configuration.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2017, 11:55 AM
(06-15-2017 07:50 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-14-2017 07:59 PM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  I tried a new detailed resolution (960x720 at 60Hz automatic CRT standard timing), but it failed to turn up, unfortunately.
Seems like EDID overrides aren't working for you at all even though they should with your GPU and the driver you installed. Maybe they didn't implement it for VGA monitors. Do you have any HDMI or DVI monitors that you can test?

Everything works fine on non CRT monitors, also connected through VGA or DVI-VGA.

Johnhoh over at Sevenforums has suggested that it may be a vga output voltage issue with the pc.

For the time being I have given up and bought an EIZO monitor with colours we can live with.

I consider getting a(nother) graphics card and trying to see whether the CRT montior(s) may work with that.

Thank you very much for all your time and for your sharing your insight.
06-22-2017, 03:27 PM (Last edited: 06-22-2017, 03:31 PM by mustekala)
Heya! First of all thank you a lot for this utility Big Grin Heart I am having a problem though. The monitor seems to reset itself randomly, I hear the Windows USB-device-plugged-out sound and the monitor goes blank for a couple of seconds, then it comes back on. Oh, also I need to run the restart.exe every time I restart the computer and login to windows again (no big deal just thought I'd mention it.)

GPU: Asus Geforce 260 GTX 896 MB (with latest available drivers)
Monitor: Viewsonic P97f+ (CRT) via VGA to DVI-I connection.

I am trying to use the resolution 1152x864 @ 120 Hz. I will test 1280x960 at 100 Hz later on to see if it has the same problem. My monitor does support these resolutions.
06-24-2017, 10:01 AM
(06-22-2017 03:27 PM)mustekala Wrote:  Heya! First of all thank you a lot for this utility Big Grin Heart I am having a problem though. The monitor seems to reset itself randomly, I hear the Windows USB-device-plugged-out sound and the monitor goes blank for a couple of seconds, then it comes back on.
That sounds like a connection problem or a driver bug. Does it only happen after using CRU?

(06-22-2017 03:27 PM)mustekala Wrote:  Oh, also I need to run the restart.exe every time I restart the computer and login to windows again (no big deal just thought I'd mention it.)
That normally indicates a driver bug. What does CRU show as the monitor name? Does the status say "(active)" before running restart.exe?
06-24-2017, 10:15 AM
(06-21-2017 11:55 AM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  Everything works fine on non CRT monitors, also connected through VGA or DVI-VGA.
So custom resolutions work with an LCD monitor connected through VGA but not with a CRT monitor? That's strange because the VGA output should work the same regardless if it's LCD or CRT. Try using the "Edit..." button at the top and include the range limits, and increase all the max values to 250.

(06-21-2017 11:55 AM)Jacob Bugge Wrote:  Johnhoh over at Sevenforums has suggested that it may be a vga output voltage issue with the pc.
It's not a voltage issue. This is some sort of Intel driver limitation. The problem is if EDID overrides aren't working, then CRU has no effect. If you have an HDMI port, using a cheap HDMI-VGA active adapter might work around the problem: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZMV7RL2/?tag=mtests-20#ad
06-24-2017, 07:59 PM (Last edited: 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM by michte)
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see anything related to this topic here. Is it possible to create an HDR compatible custom resolution ? I successfully created a 24Hz resolution allowing me to reduce the discrepancies between audio and video clocks for watching video content without dropping frames. It works fine watching SDR content, but switching to HDR, using the new Windows 10 API, seems to ignore the changes made (reverts back to the standard resolutions in the Nvidia CP). Do I need to make a new custom resolution for HDR mode ? Is that even possible ?

Here is my setup :
Win10 Creator's update
Nvidia GTX1070 (latest drivers)
LG 4K HDR OLED TV
CRU 1.0.3 with hdmi-audio.dat

Thanks in advance !
06-25-2017, 10:27 AM
(06-24-2017 10:01 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 03:27 PM)mustekala Wrote:  Heya! First of all thank you a lot for this utility Big Grin Heart I am having a problem though. The monitor seems to reset itself randomly, I hear the Windows USB-device-plugged-out sound and the monitor goes blank for a couple of seconds, then it comes back on.
That sounds like a connection problem or a driver bug. Does it only happen after using CRU?

Yeah only after CRU.

(06-24-2017 10:01 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 03:27 PM)mustekala Wrote:  Oh, also I need to run the restart.exe every time I restart the computer and login to windows again (no big deal just thought I'd mention it.)
That normally indicates a driver bug. What does CRU show as the monitor name? Does the status say "(active)" before running restart.exe?

It says "VSC281A - P97f+ (active)*" and yes it said active before running restart.exe. One thing of note though is that without CRU Windows says that the monitor name is "P97f+" and after using CRU it just says "Display device on: VGA" is this normal? I did some reinstalling and changing my video card & the drivers recently so maybe this might be related to that, I dunno... I tried using reset-all.exe to reset it and redo it, seems to have helped somewhat as so far I only needed to run restart.exe after resetting the computer ... I'll see what happens Big Grin
06-25-2017, 08:45 PM (Last edited: 06-25-2017, 10:26 PM by fygonzalo)
Hello.

First of all, thank you for the CRU, its amazing !.

The reason why I am using CRU is because the hdmi edid is not correct so my screen becomes very blurry with broken shadows when I wanna use 1920x1080.

If I use the dvi port (with vga adapter) then I can get the 1080 working properly. So I used MonInfo to get the edid data and loaded onto CRU.

Now I am having problems.
The first and biggest one is that I do not have sound throught hdmi, I already have tried importing hdmi or hdmi-audio but that overrides my initial edid data, so I do not know how to activate both at same time.

The second problem (its not that bad) is that the screen looks a bit darker nor less clear when I set 1080 using CRU, its not the same as when I am using 1080 throught dvi. Its not that bad because I only want 1080p for gaming but it would be cool to know what's going on.

I've attached the data I got from MonInfo

Thanks!

EDIT:
For some reason, when I delete hdmi from extension block & standard resolution and launch a game on 1080 my tv (aoc - konka lcd tv display) says HDMI @ 1920x1080, but if it is on standard resolution and hdmi is on extension block then the tv says 1080p 60, and thats when the screen looks shitty (and resolution doesn't fits on the screen).

Attached File(s)
.bin  dspinfo.bin (Size: 128 bytes / Downloads: 429)
06-26-2017, 07:43 AM
(06-25-2017 08:45 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  The reason why I am using CRU is because the hdmi edid is not correct so my screen becomes very blurry with broken shadows when I wanna use 1920x1080.
The file you posted doesn't have any HDMI information. Show me the HDMI EDID.

(06-25-2017 08:45 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  If I use the dvi port (with vga adapter) then I can get the 1080 working properly. So I used MonInfo to get the edid data and loaded onto CRU.
What video card do you have? You shouldn't need to use MonInfo. CRU can read the EDID and export it to a file.

(06-25-2017 08:45 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  Now I am having problems.
The first and biggest one is that I do not have sound throught hdmi, I already have tried importing hdmi or hdmi-audio but that overrides my initial edid data, so I do not know how to activate both at same time.
The hdmi-audio.dat file only includes an extension block. It does not override the base EDID. The file you posted does not have any extension blocks. You need to have an extension block with HDMI support and an audio format for audio to work. If the screen looks messed up after doing that, then the TV is messing up the image when it receives an HDMI signal. Without HDMI support in the extension block, the video card will send a DVI signal, so the TV might be handling that differently.

(06-25-2017 08:45 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  The second problem (its not that bad) is that the screen looks a bit darker nor less clear when I set 1080 using CRU, its not the same as when I am using 1080 throught dvi. Its not that bad because I only want 1080p for gaming but it would be cool to know what's going on.
The TV might be expecting limited range RGB/YCbCr (16-235) with HDMI, but the video card will use full range RGB (0-255) when sending a DVI signal. This will cause the darkest and brightest shades to be clipped.

(06-25-2017 08:45 PM)fygonzalo Wrote:  For some reason, when I delete hdmi from extension block & standard resolution and launch a game on 1080 my tv (aoc - konka lcd tv display) says HDMI @ 1920x1080, but if it is on standard resolution and hdmi is on extension block then the tv says 1080p 60, and thats when the screen looks shitty (and resolution doesn't fits on the screen).
Don't use standard resolutions. 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz should be a detailed resolution with the "LCD standard" timing option. If that looks messed up, try the "LCD reduced" option.
06-26-2017, 07:44 AM
(06-25-2017 10:27 AM)mustekala Wrote:  It says "VSC281A - P97f+ (active)*" and yes it said active before running restart.exe. One thing of note though is that without CRU Windows says that the monitor name is "P97f+" and after using CRU it just says "Display device on: VGA" is this normal?
If you have four detailed resolutions in the main window, there won't be any space to save the monitor name. That's purely informational and shouldn't affect any functionality, but try leaving a slot empty for the monitor name just in case there's a driver bug that's causing your problems. You can add more detailed resolutions by adding extension blocks.

(06-25-2017 10:27 AM)mustekala Wrote:  I did some reinstalling and changing my video card & the drivers recently so maybe this might be related to that, I dunno... I tried using reset-all.exe to reset it and redo it, seems to have helped somewhat as so far I only needed to run restart.exe after resetting the computer ... I'll see what happens Big Grin
If you still have problems, try using DDU to completely uninstall any old graphics drivers before installing the latest driver: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driv...aller-ddu-