Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-22-2013, 05:21 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-22-2013 01:04 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  How can I find what's causing this (like the Samsung Magician mentioned above)?
GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician are the only ones I know about. If the screen is not blanking out on startup with the Windows device removed sound, then it might be a different issue.

You can try running msconfig and disable all the startup items, and in the "Services" tab, enable "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom and disable all the services.

(10-22-2013 01:04 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  This happens to me as well and is infuriating. It'll sometimes even happen in the middle of a game - all of a sudden the monitor will go out then come back on, and I'm back to 60hz until I reboot.
It should not be happening in the middle of a game. That's not a common problem. Are you also getting the event ID 14 error?

Try an older driver like 314.22 or 320.49. NVIDIA's drivers have had some weird problems lately for some people.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2013, 05:33 AM
(10-21-2013 05:14 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  maybe im doing something wrong. but i get a black screen monitor after rebooting. luckily, i have 2 monitors so i have to painfully navigate a black screen and reset it.
You didn't mention what you did or provide any information. What video card do you have? Did you patch the driver? Which monitor did you use it on? What settings did you use? A black screen usually means the monitor can't handle the resolution.

(10-21-2013 05:14 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  on a different subject. ive been using a 1080p 27inch Anti Glare while waiting for the glossy tempest to arrive. it came in today. maybe im not used to it but it does hurt my eyes but the instant i look over to the old monitor, it goes away. anyone know the problem?
I don't know, but there isn't much you can do except adjust the brightness on the monitor.
10-22-2013, 05:23 PM (Last edited: 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM by mongerhater)
(10-22-2013 05:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 05:14 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  maybe im doing something wrong. but i get a black screen monitor after rebooting. luckily, i have 2 monitors so i have to painfully navigate a black screen and reset it.
You didn't mention what you did or provide any information. What video card do you have? Did you patch the driver? Which monitor did you use it on? What settings did you use? A black screen usually means the monitor can't handle the resolution.

(10-21-2013 05:14 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  on a different subject. ive been using a 1080p 27inch Anti Glare while waiting for the glossy tempest to arrive. it came in today. maybe im not used to it but it does hurt my eyes but the instant i look over to the old monitor, it goes away. anyone know the problem?
I don't know, but there isn't much you can do except adjust the brightness on the monitor.

i patched. restarted comp. opened cru, edited the first and only detailed resolution to 120hz. clicked OK. restarted comp and the screen would be black. i just got the x270OC. am i supposed to restart in safe mode? change the timing modes (i left it at manual) and i didnt change anything else. i just changed the HZ to 120hz. im running a GTX 760 4gb with an i7 4770k. i patched the driver with both programs. the reg and the full one.
10-22-2013, 06:25 PM
(10-22-2013 05:23 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  i patched. restarted comp. opened cru, edited the first and only detailed resolution to 120hz. clicked OK. restarted comp and the screen would be black. i just got the x270OC. am i supposed to restart in safe mode? change the timing modes (i left it at manual) and i didnt change anything else. i just changed the HZ to 120hz. im running a GTX 760 4gb with an i7 4770k. i patched the driver with both programs. the reg and the full one.
Leave 59.950 Hz in CRU. Otherwise, when you upgrade the video driver, the new unpatched driver won't have any resolutions to use, and the driver will pick a lower resolution that the X270OC can't handle.

Not all of the X270OC monitors can get 120 Hz, especially with the default timing parameters. Try the "LCD reduced" timing option first. If that doesn't work, you'll have to use a lower refresh rate. Most X270OC monitors can get at least 110 Hz with the "LCD reduced" option.

You only need the regular patch with a single GTX 760. Also, make sure to uninstall GeForce Experience as that causes issues with refresh rates not appearing in the Windows screen resolution settings.
10-22-2013, 08:33 PM
(10-10-2013 02:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 07:18 PM)Foobar Wrote:  I use a DVI to HDMI converter. And it is indeed detected as DVI. But I guess its a single link DVI converter or < HDMI 1.3 converter that is hardware limited to 165 or something?
DVI/HDMI adapters are passive. The limit is in the driver, but older cards are handled differently. I wasn't able to find an easy way around the limit for older cards.
No worries. I got 75hz working anyway. Smile

But I got another problem now. Seems like the refresh rate setting somewhere is broken for my other monitor. I have to use this monitor for a bit since I'm exchanging the Samsung.

Somehow it got stuck at 72hz or something and it just gets "signal out of range" at boot or when I use that display only. I used safemode to uninstall drivers and that works. Its using the default windows driver now. But when I re-install catalyst drivers it goes back to being out of range again. It even does so while installing! I did use the reset-util that comes with CRU but the problem persist.

Do you know an easy peasy way to fix this? That is I dont need to overclock or anything. I just want to get image back so that I can set workable resolution and updating frequency with recent drivers.
10-22-2013, 09:02 PM
That's weird. The settings for one monitor shouldn't affect another monitor, and running reset-all.exe removes all EDID overrides, so it shouldn't be using an unsupported resolution.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the monitor's default EDID defines a resolution that the monitor doesn't actually support. Use CRU to remove all the resolutions except the native resolution, and make sure the extension block is disabled.
10-23-2013, 02:05 AM
(10-22-2013 05:21 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-22-2013 01:04 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  How can I find what's causing this (like the Samsung Magician mentioned above)?
GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician are the only ones I know about. If the screen is not blanking out on startup with the Windows device removed sound, then it might be a different issue.

You can try running msconfig and disable all the startup items, and in the "Services" tab, enable "Hide all Microsoft services" at the bottom and disable all the services.

(10-22-2013 01:04 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  This happens to me as well and is infuriating. It'll sometimes even happen in the middle of a game - all of a sudden the monitor will go out then come back on, and I'm back to 60hz until I reboot.
It should not be happening in the middle of a game. That's not a common problem. Are you also getting the event ID 14 error?

Try an older driver like 314.22 or 320.49. NVIDIA's drivers have had some weird problems lately for some people.

How can I find if I'm getting the event ID 14 error?

Do you think that NVIDIA Update could be causing it?

I'll try rolling back to earlier drivers and seeing if that helps. I will keep you posted.
10-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Just wondering if I should expect better results with using a Display Port cable rather than dual link DVI ? (Just want to make sure that I have that correct before dropping the coin)
10-23-2013, 01:45 PM
(10-22-2013 06:25 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-22-2013 05:23 PM)mongerhater Wrote:  i patched. restarted comp. opened cru, edited the first and only detailed resolution to 120hz. clicked OK. restarted comp and the screen would be black. i just got the x270OC. am i supposed to restart in safe mode? change the timing modes (i left it at manual) and i didnt change anything else. i just changed the HZ to 120hz. im running a GTX 760 4gb with an i7 4770k. i patched the driver with both programs. the reg and the full one.
Leave 59.950 Hz in CRU. Otherwise, when you upgrade the video driver, the new unpatched driver won't have any resolutions to use, and the driver will pick a lower resolution that the X270OC can't handle.

Not all of the X270OC monitors can get 120 Hz, especially with the default timing parameters. Try the "LCD reduced" timing option first. If that doesn't work, you'll have to use a lower refresh rate. Most X270OC monitors can get at least 110 Hz with the "LCD reduced" option.

You only need the regular patch with a single GTX 760. Also, make sure to uninstall GeForce Experience as that causes issues with refresh rates not appearing in the Windows screen resolution settings.

I finally got it to 112hz with lcd reduced. my question is...is it better at 112hz reduced or like maybe 109 normal?
10-23-2013, 08:55 PM
(10-23-2013 02:05 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  How can I find if I'm getting the event ID 14 error?
It would be in the event viewer.

(10-23-2013 02:05 AM)wangamatang Wrote:  Do you think that NVIDIA Update could be causing it?
NVIDIA Update is supposed to be replaced by GeForce Experience. I don't know if NVIDIA Update had the same problem, but it shouldn't be installed.