Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-02-2019, 08:13 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-02-2019 07:26 PM)Ambro Wrote:  Both monitors are the BenQ XL2730 and are both connected via display port to an EVGA 1070 FTW running the latest 441.08 driver. I tried switching out the DP cable, both are certified, no effect there. I also tried unplugging my primary monitor, leaving only the secondary plugged in, and tried switching the DP positions on the graphics card.

I've done as you've instructed - both sets of files are included as attachments to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this issue.
I think you are confused about what the defaults are. There is no difference between the two monitors other than the manufacture date, and there is no difference between the current and backup for each monitor. What was supposed to be different? I don't see anything unusual that would indicate something was changed, and both monitors have 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz defined, so that's not the problem.

The real problem is the video card seems to be negotiating a lower DisplayPort speed with that monitor for some reason, which wouldn't be because of the timing parameters. RGB is always supposed to be available, so the fact that only YCbCr 4:2:2 is available at 120 Hz indicates a bandwidth limitation. Since you already swapped the cables and the ports, try unplugging the monitor's power for a few minutes to reset it just in case there was a firmware glitch.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2019, 08:44 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2019, 08:45 PM by Ambro)
(11-02-2019 08:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 07:26 PM)Ambro Wrote:  Both monitors are the BenQ XL2730 and are both connected via display port to an EVGA 1070 FTW running the latest 441.08 driver. I tried switching out the DP cable, both are certified, no effect there. I also tried unplugging my primary monitor, leaving only the secondary plugged in, and tried switching the DP positions on the graphics card.

I've done as you've instructed - both sets of files are included as attachments to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to help me troubleshoot this issue.
I think you are confused about what the defaults are. There is no difference between the two monitors other than the manufacture date, and there is no difference between the current and backup for each monitor. What was supposed to be different? I don't see anything unusual that would indicate something was changed, and both monitors have 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz defined, so that's not the problem.

The real problem is the video card seems to be negotiating a lower DisplayPort speed with that monitor for some reason, which wouldn't be because of the timing parameters. RGB is always supposed to be available, so the fact that only YCbCr 4:2:2 is available at 120 Hz indicates a bandwidth limitation. Since you already swapped the cables and the ports, try unplugging the monitor's power for a few minutes to reset it just in case there was a firmware glitch.

Despite the version of the monitor being the same, they're different model years, and the panels are different between both models and have different timings. When I first downloaded CRU, I looked at the timings for both and the secondary monitor I'm having issues with had different timings. When I went through the process of trying to get both monitors @ 143hz to support GSYNC (which they don't do by default ), I was having an issue with the second monitor(problem one) whereby it was displaying a black screen every time I would go into 143hz. To remedy this, I went into the primary monitor that was working correctly, and by hand, copied each of the timings to a text file so that I could replicate the same settings on the second monitor. As soon as i did this, the second monitor was syncing at 143hz, and everything was fine. At some point in the past few weeks for reasons unknown, the second monitor was suddenly unable to sync at 143/144hz, and is now demonstrating the issue I've explained. Both of these monitors did 144hz at my native resolution prior to this change. After using your reset tool, going into CRU shows that the timings for both of these monitors is the same, i.e. post the changes I made. I know the secondary panel has different timings but I'm not entirely sure what they used to be as I didn't take a screen capture.

The question I have is, when you adjust timings for the monitor, where is this preserved? does it get written back to the monitor or is it possible that the timing adjustment caused permanent damage to the panel and that's the reason why the native 144hz is now not supported? Just trying to determine if there's a way to get the monitor back to it's original default factory timings.
11-02-2019, 10:11 PM
(11-02-2019 08:44 PM)Ambro Wrote:  Despite the version of the monitor being the same, they're different model years, and the panels are different between both models and have different timings. When I first downloaded CRU, I looked at the timings for both and the secondary monitor I'm having issues with had different timings. When I went through the process of trying to get both monitors @ 143hz to support GSYNC (which they don't do by default ), I was having an issue with the second monitor(problem one) whereby it was displaying a black screen every time I would go into 143hz. To remedy this, I went into the primary monitor that was working correctly, and by hand, copied each of the timings to a text file so that I could replicate the same settings on the second monitor. As soon as i did this, the second monitor was syncing at 143hz, and everything was fine. At some point in the past few weeks for reasons unknown, the second monitor was suddenly unable to sync at 143/144hz, and is now demonstrating the issue I've explained. Both of these monitors did 144hz at my native resolution prior to this change. After using your reset tool, going into CRU shows that the timings for both of these monitors is the same, i.e. post the changes I made. I know the secondary panel has different timings but I'm not entirely sure what they used to be as I didn't take a screen capture.

The question I have is, when you adjust timings for the monitor, where is this preserved? does it get written back to the monitor or is it possible that the timing adjustment caused permanent damage to the panel and that's the reason why the native 144hz is now not supported? Just trying to determine if there's a way to get the monitor back to it's original default factory timings.
The monitor is already back to the original defaults, but you refuse to believe this. CRU only creates EDID overrides in the registry, which you wiped out three different ways. The timing parameters in the EDID only tell the graphics driver how to formulate the video signal. Nothing is written to the monitor.

Different panels don't need different timing parameters. If the timing parameters between the two monitors were different in CRU, then the backup files should have reflected this. I know CRU did not mix up the monitors because the manufacture dates in the EDID are different. That's literally the only difference between the two monitors.

Besides that, the timing parameters would not cause the symptoms you described. 144 Hz should still be listed even if the timing parameters were different, and 100/120 Hz should not be YCbCr 4:2:2. This indicates a bandwidth problem, not a problem with the timing parameters. It sounds like the DisplayPort on the monitor is failing and can no longer negotiate the correct speed. This is usually a cable problem, but you already swapped the cables and ports, so that leaves the monitor.

This could be a firmware bug. I found instructions on how to reset the monitor:

1. Power off.
2. Hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 and press power on while still holding buttons 3 and 4.
3. Keep buttons 3 and 4 pressed for 5 seconds, then release.
4. Press any of the OSD buttons and enter the factory menu.
5. Choose "CLEAR USER" to reset the monitor.
6. Unplug the monitor's power for a minute, then plug it back in.
7. Power on and see if you can choose 144 Hz now.
11-02-2019, 11:00 PM
(11-02-2019 10:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-02-2019 08:44 PM)Ambro Wrote:  Despite the version of the monitor being the same, they're different model years, and the panels are different between both models and have different timings. When I first downloaded CRU, I looked at the timings for both and the secondary monitor I'm having issues with had different timings. When I went through the process of trying to get both monitors @ 143hz to support GSYNC (which they don't do by default ), I was having an issue with the second monitor(problem one) whereby it was displaying a black screen every time I would go into 143hz. To remedy this, I went into the primary monitor that was working correctly, and by hand, copied each of the timings to a text file so that I could replicate the same settings on the second monitor. As soon as i did this, the second monitor was syncing at 143hz, and everything was fine. At some point in the past few weeks for reasons unknown, the second monitor was suddenly unable to sync at 143/144hz, and is now demonstrating the issue I've explained. Both of these monitors did 144hz at my native resolution prior to this change. After using your reset tool, going into CRU shows that the timings for both of these monitors is the same, i.e. post the changes I made. I know the secondary panel has different timings but I'm not entirely sure what they used to be as I didn't take a screen capture.

The monitor is already back to the original defaults, but you refuse to believe this. CRU only creates EDID overrides in the registry, which you wiped out three different ways. The timing parameters in the EDID only tell the graphics driver how to formulate the video signal. Nothing is written to the monitor.

Different panels don't need different timing parameters. If the timing parameters between the two monitors were different in CRU, then the backup files should have reflected this. I know CRU did not mix up the monitors because the manufacture dates in the EDID are different. That's literally the only difference between the two monitors.

Besides that, the timing parameters would not cause the symptoms you described. 144 Hz should still be listed even if the timing parameters were different, and 100/120 Hz should not be YCbCr 4:2:2. This indicates a bandwidth problem, not a problem with the timing parameters. It sounds like the DisplayPort on the monitor is failing and can no longer negotiate the correct speed. This is usually a cable problem, but you already swapped the cables and ports, so that leaves the monitor.

This could be a firmware bug. I found instructions on how to reset the monitor:

1. Power off.
2. Hold down OSD buttons 3 and 4 and press power on while still holding buttons 3 and 4.
3. Keep buttons 3 and 4 pressed for 5 seconds, then release.
4. Press any of the OSD buttons and enter the factory menu.
5. Choose "CLEAR USER" to reset the monitor.
6. Unplug the monitor's power for a minute, then plug it back in.
7. Power on and see if you can choose 144 Hz now.

Your suggestions of keeping the monitor powered off (I did it for an hour or so) and using the CLEAR USER to reset the monitor totally fixed the problem! I'm back at 144hz. WHEW. Thank you so much for your help with this Toasty. I'll be donating to you for all of the trouble.
11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Hey guys. First of all sry for my bad english. I think i have a problem. Bought a new aoc c27g1 monitor, it had some freesync flicker, so i downloaded cru, and modified the low range to 25 instead of 48,worked perfectly for a while. I have 2hdmi port, when the system wasn't edited with cru, the first on was able to do only 120hz,now both can do 144 somehow. The freesync flickering is back, and i cant fix it with lowering or increesing the mhz limits. I think cru messed up something for me, and i wanna compleatle reset everithing, and start over, but when i using reset all, nothing really happening, still both my ports doing 144hz,and still have BAD flickering,and now i cant go lower then 46hz instead of 25,because i get black screens when my monitor hit 45hz or below. How can i reset this thing guys?
11-05-2019, 01:46 PM
(11-05-2019 09:19 AM)Fear_The_Duck09 Wrote:  Hey guys. First of all sry for my bad english. I think i have a problem. Bought a new aoc c27g1 monitor, it had some freesync flicker, so i downloaded cru, and modified the low range to 25 instead of 48,worked perfectly for a while. I have 2hdmi port, when the system wasn't edited with cru, the first on was able to do only 120hz,now both can do 144 somehow. The freesync flickering is back, and i cant fix it with lowering or increesing the mhz limits. I think cru messed up something for me, and i wanna compleatle reset everithing, and start over, but when i using reset all, nothing really happening, still both my ports doing 144hz,and still have BAD flickering,and now i cant go lower then 46hz instead of 25,because i get black screens when my monitor hit 45hz or below. How can i reset this thing guys?
If you have a problem with a new monitor, you don't try to fix it with software. You return it. CRU didn't mess up anything. Running reset-all.exe and rebooting resets everything. Your problems have nothing to do with CRU.
11-06-2019, 07:16 AM (Last edited: 11-06-2019, 07:28 AM by EeK)
The new driver (441.12) doesn't appear to have fixed the issue that I had with 441.08.

This time, I'd already used CRU to make the necessary modifications to my display's EDID (adding a custom resolution of 4K@66Hz and deleting all 4096x2160 resolutions). I also made sure to restart Windows to apply the override, instead of running restart64.exe, as that's what seemed to trigger the odd behavior before.

Only after clicking on "Enable settings for the selected display model" and hitting "Apply", under the G-Sync tab on NVCP, is that my system restarted automatically and went into an infinite reboot loop again.

Even though my TV is now "G-Sync Compatible", it still shows up as not validated on NVCP, requiring manual enabling of that setting. It's been like that for the previous two drivers with support for G-Sync: 441.08 and 440.52 (beta). However, the infinite reboot loop issue only happened on drivers 441.08 and 441.12.

Not sure what's causing the problem. It may have something to do with VRR and the TV's "Instant Game Response" mode, which activated even before enabling that specific setting and immediately after installing the new driver (G-Sync was enabled by default for full screen mode).

Any guesses? Everything worked fine in Safe Mode, but a simple reset of the EDID (using reset-all.exe) didn't solve the issue today, and I was forced to reinstall the driver (always using DDU). I've yet to make any EDID modifications since the reinstall, as I'm afraid of triggering the infinite reboot loop once more.
11-09-2019, 02:34 AM
(11-06-2019 07:16 AM)EeK Wrote:  Any guesses?
Yeah, broken driver. Have you submitted feedback? https://forms.gle/kJ9Bqcaicvjb82SdA
11-09-2019, 03:29 PM (Last edited: 11-09-2019, 03:45 PM by m4rcus)
Today i upgraded my gpu to rtx 2080 super from gtx 1080 (driver version 441.12)

and i noticed after using CRU for setting my BenQ EX3203R's minimum V-rate from 24 to 48 (needs to be done for gsync/adaptive sync to work) that the card wont clock down in idle anymore if the second screen is connected.

On my gtx 1080 i had my second screen connected via DVI running at 60hz and my main display via DP at 120hz to be able to clock down in idle and i had no issue with that.

Funny enough when i let it stay on 24-144 it even clocks down now on 144hz with the second display connected which it never did with older gpus.

The new card doesnt come with dvi anymore so i tried DP and HDMI just to be sure but no chance.

the notes say "The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary."
but im not sure what to make of that since i raised the value from 24hz to 48hz? Maybe its not even connected i really dont know :<

I need my idle clocks back please help. What kind of numbergames can i play with cru to be able to run my main display at least at 120hz +gsync compatible and my second display at 60hz? Hell id even take the second display below that, its just there to play tvshows and movies.
11-09-2019, 04:58 PM
(11-09-2019 03:29 PM)m4rcus Wrote:  Today i upgraded my gpu to rtx 2080 super from gtx 1080 (driver version 441.12)

and i noticed after using CRU for setting my BenQ EX3203R's minimum V-rate from 24 to 48 (needs to be done for gsync/adaptive sync to work) that the card wont clock down in idle anymore if the second screen is connected.

On my gtx 1080 i had my second screen connected via DVI running at 60hz and my main display via DP at 120hz to be able to clock down in idle and i had no issue with that.

Funny enough when i let it stay on 24-144 it even clocks down now on 144hz with the second display connected which it never did with older gpus.

The new card doesnt come with dvi anymore so i tried DP and HDMI just to be sure but no chance.

the notes say "The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary."
but im not sure what to make of that since i raised the value from 24hz to 48hz? Maybe its not even connected i really dont know :<

I need my idle clocks back please help. What kind of numbergames can i play with cru to be able to run my main display at least at 120hz +gsync compatible and my second display at 60hz? Hell id even take the second display below that, its just there to play tvshows and movies.
Simply changing the minimum adaptive sync range shouldn't affect clocking down. That would be a driver bug. The video card can't clock down the memory with multiple monitors if the blanking periods aren't synchronized, so I have no idea how idle worked on the 1080. They have to be running at the same refresh rate with the same horizontal/vertical totals, or if one monitor is G-SYNC and the other is not, the G-SYNC monitor has to always synchronize with the other monitor at 60 Hz.