Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
03-04-2020, 01:23 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello I'm trying to play the Crysis series and work around the annoying 24hz display bug. I've figure out how to remove the 24hz refresh rate and get the game to run at 60hz by removing the listed 24hz refresh rate in the extension blocks section, but doing so removes 24hz from all resolutions.
What I'd really like to do is make a custom resolution just for Crysis with only one refresh rate available. I've got a 2560x1440 panel @ 144hz. Every time I make a resolution of 2559x1440 it works fine, but it still exposes all refresh rates available to this custom resolution. Is there a way to make 2559x1440@144hz only, while still keeping all my other resolutions with their refresh rates unchanged?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2020, 07:33 PM
(03-04-2020 01:23 PM)wasteomind Wrote:  Hello I'm trying to play the Crysis series and work around the annoying 24hz display bug. I've figure out how to remove the 24hz refresh rate and get the game to run at 60hz by removing the listed 24hz refresh rate in the extension blocks section, but doing so removes 24hz from all resolutions.
What I'd really like to do is make a custom resolution just for Crysis with only one refresh rate available. I've got a 2560x1440 panel @ 144hz. Every time I make a resolution of 2559x1440 it works fine, but it still exposes all refresh rates available to this custom resolution. Is there a way to make 2559x1440@144hz only, while still keeping all my other resolutions with their refresh rates unchanged?
The graphics driver automatically adds the refresh rates available at the native resolution down to lower resolutions as scaled resolutions if not explicitly defined. Try making 2559x1440 @ 144 Hz the first detailed resolution.
03-04-2020, 10:37 PM
(03-04-2020 07:33 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 01:23 PM)wasteomind Wrote:  Hello I'm trying to play the Crysis series and work around the annoying 24hz display bug. I've figure out how to remove the 24hz refresh rate and get the game to run at 60hz by removing the listed 24hz refresh rate in the extension blocks section, but doing so removes 24hz from all resolutions.
The graphics driver automatically adds the refresh rates available at the native resolution down to lower resolutions as scaled resolutions if not explicitly defined. Try making 2559x1440 @ 144 Hz the first detailed resolution.

Thanks for the reply. Doing this got me 2559x1440 with 3 refresh rates, 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz. That knocked out both 60hz and 85hz from all non-native resolutions though.
03-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Hi!
Is it possible to use it to lower panel refresh rate while no heavy tasks are being performed? I do not want to change the resolution, just refresh rate on iGPU (Coffee Lake).
03-05-2020, 10:27 PM
(03-04-2020 10:37 PM)wasteomind Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. Doing this got me 2559x1440 with 3 refresh rates, 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz. That knocked out both 60hz and 85hz from all non-native resolutions though.
Try adding 640x480 @ 60 Hz "LCD standard" as the first detailed resolution. Then it should not add any scaled resolutions. If that doesn't help for some reason, try 2561x1440 @ 144 Hz instead so that it's the highest resolution.

Another option that might work is use CRU to get rid of 24 Hz, and then use your video card's control panel to add 2559x1440 @ 144 Hz instead of CRU.
03-05-2020, 10:28 PM
(03-05-2020 02:14 PM)Faktora Wrote:  Is it possible to use it to lower panel refresh rate while no heavy tasks are being performed? I do not want to change the resolution, just refresh rate on iGPU (Coffee Lake).
You could add a lower refresh rate, but I don't know of a way to switch to it automatically.
03-06-2020, 12:25 AM
(03-05-2020 10:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(03-04-2020 10:37 PM)wasteomind Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. Doing this got me 2559x1440 with 3 refresh rates, 100hz, 120hz, and 144hz. That knocked out both 60hz and 85hz from all non-native resolutions though.
Try adding 640x480 @ 60 Hz "LCD standard" as the first detailed resolution. Then it should not add any scaled resolutions. If that doesn't help for some reason, try 2561x1440 @ 144 Hz instead so that it's the highest resolution.

Another option that might work is use CRU to get rid of 24 Hz, and then use your video card's control panel to add 2559x1440 @ 144 Hz instead of CRU.
Adding 2561x1440@144hz works exactly as I wanted (keeping all previous refresh rates/resolutions while the new one only has 144hz) but the monitor goes out of range, even while trying to set the standard/native refresh rate, so no go. I tried 2561x1440@120hz and while that fixed the native resolutions, it still went out of range for the new resolution.

The 640x480 one didn't work either. The reason I'm using CRU is because Nvidia control panel custom resolution option isn't working. I can make a resolution, test it and it passes, adds it as an option, but attempting to switch to the new resolution goes out of range on the monitor no matter what it is. At least CRU was allowing me to make new ones.
03-06-2020, 03:16 AM (Last edited: 03-06-2020, 03:11 PM by aeneas1)
i've been experimenting with nvidia custom resolutions and it's a very straightforward process... the problem is additional nvidia control panel settings such "output color depth" and "output color format" don't work with any of these custom resolutions.

for example if i select a stock resolution of 1920 x 1080 from the nvidia control panel, under "output color format" i can select rgb, ycbcr422 or ycbcr444, and from there, under "output color depth", i can select 8, 10 or 12 bpc.

but these options either aren't available or won't stick when using a nvidia control panel custom resolution such a 1920 x 817.

muddying the waters, custom resolutions and color formats can easily be done if i use intel's igpu instead of a discreet card by simply going into the "intel graphics experience" app.

adding to the problem, because i can't select a color format and/or a color depth when using a nvidia control panel custom resolution, color depth is forced to 8-bit which means windows 10 hdr can't be toggled on.

in short, from my testing so far, setting custom resolutions in nvidia's control panel prevents me from using wcg settings.

is there a way to use the cru utility to get around this issue? i've had great luck with cru in the past, with intel's igpu, before i added a discreet card, but now when i create a custum res with cru it doesn't show in the nvidia control panel, only custom resolutions i create in the nvidia control panel show up.

UPDATE -

i did the following which seems to have worked in that nvidia's control panel now shows the custom resolutions i set up in cru which i can, from within nvidia's control panel, apply additional settings to such as subsampling and color bit.

- added my custom resolutions in the detailed resolution box at the top of the utility's first page.

- edited the the extension block appearing in the bottom box of the first page.

- the edited included nothing more than deleting all of the "detailed resolutions" appearing in this box.

so far so good, everything seems to be working just fine - is there any obvious problems with what i did, that will cause probs down the road?
03-07-2020, 01:55 AM
(03-06-2020 03:16 AM)aeneas1 Wrote:  i did the following which seems to have worked in that nvidia's control panel now shows the custom resolutions i set up in cru which i can, from within nvidia's control panel, apply additional settings to such as subsampling and color bit.

- added my custom resolutions in the detailed resolution box at the top of the utility's first page.

- edited the the extension block appearing in the bottom box of the first page.

- the edited included nothing more than deleting all of the "detailed resolutions" appearing in this box.

so far so good, everything seems to be working just fine - is there any obvious problems with what i did, that will cause probs down the road?
Deleting resolutions won't cause any problems, but I don't see why deleting the detailed resolutions in the extension block would make your custom resolutions show up unless the extension block was completely full. NVIDIA requires at least "2 bytes left" for data blocks or it will ignore the override.
03-07-2020, 06:25 AM
(03-07-2020 01:55 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Deleting resolutions won't cause any problems, but I don't see why deleting the detailed resolutions in the extension block would make your custom resolutions show up unless the extension block was completely full. NVIDIA requires at least "2 bytes left" for data blocks or it will ignore the override.

ok, interesting... fwiw this is what cru reported after i installed my nvidia card and updated to the newest drivers, i.e. before i made any changes, before i deleted the extension block contents. so it looks like the extension block was indeed completely full as you mentioned:

[Image: z03.png]

btw, as i posted before, by deleting all of the detailed resolutions in the extension block i was able to add custom resolutions that nvidia's control panel would see and allow me to make wcg changes to, the only problem is that nvidia seems to handle cru custom changes differently than how intel's igpu handled them.

for example, using intel's igpu, if i added a 1920x817 custom resolution using cru, windows 10's display settings would report an "active signal resolution" of 1920x1080 and a "desktop resolution" of 1920x817.

this was perfect in that my displays would recognize a 1920x1080 signal but everything (within the desktop) would be displayed at 1920x817.

however, using my nvidia card, if add a 1920x817 custom resolution using cru, windows 10's display settings reports an "active signal resolution" of 1920x817 and a "desktop resolution" of 1920x817 - this causes problems with video applications such as madvr as well as problems with a couple of my displays that are expecting to see a common active signal.

so my question is - is there a way to enter a 1920x817 custom resolution using cru and have the nvidia drivers report it as a 1920x1080 active signal?