Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-15-2022, 10:16 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(01-15-2022 09:45 PM)Artjsalina5 Wrote:  Hey ToastyX, thank you for your work on this tool. I am having trouble enabling 165Hz support in Windows 11 with my W5000 Firepro through DisplayPort. I have just the amd driver installed with AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher patched. I found the settings for 165Hz in the Extension Block CTA-861, and I manually applied them to the Detailed Resolution at the top of the program. I also enabled 8bit color depth.

I hit restart64 to reload the driver, go to change the refresh rate settings, but Windows is only showing me 120 Hz. Any help here?
The patcher does not affect DisplayPort limits, and there's no point in defining a resolution that the monitor already defines. Your card is too old to support the pixel clock needed for the refresh rate.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2022, 10:41 PM
Well, that's too bad. Thank you for your reply, guess I'll be sticking with the iGPU or 3080 Ti on this one.
01-18-2022, 03:02 PM (Last edited: 01-18-2022, 03:23 PM by randir14)
For some reason CRU isn't showing any of my monitor's resolutions, it just says "no standard resolutions" even though they appear in both Windows' display settings and Nvidia Control Panel. It's also incorrectly showing 59.950 hz even though I'm running at 144 hz. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Pic: https://i.imgur.com/RUpmkyN.jpg
I'm using Windows 11 and a 3070 ti
01-18-2022, 05:48 PM
(01-18-2022 03:02 PM)randir14 Wrote:  For some reason CRU isn't showing any of my monitor's resolutions, it just says "no standard resolutions" even though they appear in both Windows' display settings and Nvidia Control Panel. It's also incorrectly showing 59.950 hz even though I'm running at 144 hz. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Pic: https://i.imgur.com/RUpmkyN.jpg
I'm using Windows 11 and a 3070 ti
Nothing is wrong. CRU is showing what the monitor defines. Look in the extenstion block for 144 Hz.
01-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Hey Toasty, thanks for CRU. I've been using it for a while now to great effect. I've now however, run into a little trouble. I was running an AMD HD6970 miniDP to HDMI adapter to a Samsung UN6950 TV at 1920x1080p 120fps with CVT timings and it was working great. I "upgraded" to an R9 380X yesterday and haven't been able to get that same resolution working, on either of the HDMI1.4 or DP1.2 outputs from the card to either of the HDMI1.4 or HDMI2.0 inputs on the TV.

Now whenever I set up that 1080p120fps custom resolution, the bottom third of my screen gets artifacted and frozen on a strobing effect, while the top two thirds are heavily artifacted but appear at the proper 1080p with 120fps resolution. Interestingly, this is the same effect I get when trying to run that resolution with anything less than CVT timings i.e.CVT-RB/RB2 on my old otherwise working setup or if trying to run with CVT timings and 10bp color.

A bit of testing reveals that now, the AMD driver refuses to awknowledge anything above 297mhz TDMS clocks on HDMI1.4 input to TV. Custom resolutions with these clocks don't show up as options in "List All Modes" or "Monitor Refresh Rate". And CVT (or any other timings) doesn't work on HDMI 2 input. At 60hz or below things work as expected. I can get 4k30fps on HDMI1.4 input to TV from either output, and 4k60FPS on HDMI2 from the DP1.2 with adapter. So all in all, I know that 1080p120FPS works on my TV, I know I can get way more than the necessary bandwidth for it even with this new card, and I know the cables and everything work.

I suspect the solution would be to get 1080p120fps working on HDMI1.4 input which is what I had before from my 6970 (or my 8970M laptop). But I haven't found a way to bypass that 297mhz limit even though I using the DP1.2 output so it shouldn't even enforce it as far as I know.

I'd appreciate any insight you could offer. Thanks!
01-24-2022, 01:10 PM
(01-24-2022 09:02 AM)calamaritrunks Wrote:  Hey Toasty, thanks for CRU. I've been using it for a while now to great effect. I've now however, run into a little trouble. I was running an AMD HD6970 miniDP to HDMI adapter to a Samsung UN6950 TV at 1920x1080p 120fps with CVT timings and it was working great. I "upgraded" to an R9 380X yesterday and haven't been able to get that same resolution working, on either of the HDMI1.4 or DP1.2 outputs from the card to either of the HDMI1.4 or HDMI2.0 inputs on the TV.
I don't know how you got 1920x1080 @ 120 Hz with CVT timing on the 6970 because that exceeds the capability of the 6970. TVs usually want CTA-861 timing, which "Automatic (HDTV)" will provide, and that will set the pixel clock to 297 MHz. If you want to try CVT, the Pixel Clock Patcher is supposed to get around any known 297 MHz limits. It's more likely to work with the HDMI port than with DP-HDMI.
01-24-2022, 06:28 PM
Hello,

I've just bougth a new Samsung Q950A SoundBar to substitute a Z5500 I currently have.

I was using as a "HTPC" a NUC6CAYH (Win10) connected through toslink to the Z5500 and HDMI to the TV a LG 60PX950. With this I was getting Dolby Digital and DTS.

That was ok, but trying the new SB, as the TV is quite old and doesn't have ARC, I connected the NUC through HDMI to the SB, and the SB through HDMI to the TV.

With this config I can't get Dolby Atmos in the SB and I can see "LG" as a sound output device. If I check the supported formats there is only "DTS Audio", "Dobly Digital" and "Dolby Digital Plus". I also updated the Intel drivers to latest version.

If I disconnect the TV from the SB and connect to the NUC through RDP, then I can see "EP-HDMI-RX" as sound ouput device and all the supported formats "DTS Audio", "Dolby Digital Plus", "DTS-HD", "Dolby TrueHD", "Dolby Digital", "Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT 2.0)" and "Dolby Atmos (Dolby MAT 2.1)". Also I can get Dolby Atmos in the SB when playing some demos.

I tried to modify the LG info from CRU to add the Audio and Speakers but I don't get the missing supported audio formats in the LG device. In fact there is no change. If I open again CRU I can see what I added in the extension blocks.

I tried also with a HDMI splitter. NUC to splitter, then one HDMI splitter output to TV and the other one to the SB. With this I was able to see the "EP-HDMI-RX" with all the supported formats but then the sound was mixed with a crackling sound.

Then I installed Ubuntu in another SSD and I was able to get Atmos with and without the TV connected to the SB.

Finally, thinking that the problem was related to the NUC version (Apollo Lake) I got a newer one NUC10I3FNH2, with Intel UHD, but same problem.

So, this is a problem with Windows as Ubuntu can output Atmos to the SB+TV without doing any change.

Is there anything else I can try?

Changing the TV is not an option. Big Grin

Regards
01-25-2022, 02:29 AM
I just recently switched my monitor set ups as I am working from home. I have my desktop plugged into 2x MSI Optix G273's. One is on DP and one is on HDMI through a KVM. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070.

I can get things set up alright, but when I use the switch to go to my other input and then back to my desktop my desktop acts like it is a new display all together and just stays blank.

Any tips on getting it to pick up the monitor as being the same one I have put in settings for?
I already tried adding the serial number in the "Edit..." window and that didn't seem to do the trick.

This is an awesome utility. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on getting it working 100%.
01-25-2022, 12:20 PM
Hi guys, i hope i can get help here, i have some problems with my new laptop screen.

I have a Zenbook 13 OLED which has a Ryzen 7 5700U with AMD Integraded graphics, currently running Windows 11.
As the name says, the screen is of course an OLED display which has 400 nits of full frame brightness and a peak brightness of 550 nits, however, for some reason my windows says that the maximum brightness is 616 Nits and i think that is the reason why my HDR content colors looks washed out on dark scenes.

I tried changing values in the HDR metadata block but it seems to do nothing, windows still reports 616 Nits and so DisplayHDR Test
[Image: rYt7TZS.jpg]
[Image: Q9QWOMg.jpg]
[Image: MH2l1EO.jpg]

I launched CRU as Administrator, edited the Extension block which was Type CTA-861, i tried changing values in the HDR static metadata, after closing every window by pressing "ok" i launched restart.exe and even after the driver restart, windows still reports the same 616 Nits, what am i doing wroing?
01-25-2022, 05:56 PM
(01-25-2022 12:20 PM)gasico97 Wrote:  I launched CRU as Administrator, edited the Extension block which was Type CTA-861, i tried changing values in the HDR static metadata, after closing every window by pressing "ok" i launched restart.exe and even after the driver restart, windows still reports the same 616 Nits, what am i doing wroing?
If that doesn't work then I don't think it can be changed with CRU.