Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
06-07-2024, 07:02 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(06-07-2024 06:10 PM)NeCoRo-27 Wrote:  I don't know, it take this name when i connect my TCL 55C635 ( same with the new one ) maybe NVIDIA give this name ? I have only TCL or old TV Thomson, and very old Samsung monitor. ( Juste one screen connected at same Time )
Oh, it is the TCL TV. After doing some research, I found TCL is using the "Beyond TV" name for some TVs, all using the same XXX2851 device ID. There are two problems here. First, since both TVs have the same device ID, whatever you set for the old TV might still be applying to the new one. You would have to run reset-all.exe and reboot to see the new TV's EDID. The second issue is 8K @ 60-120 Hz requires Display Stream Compression (DSC), but NVIDIA's driver currently ignores EDID overrides when DSC is active, so no changes will take effect. That issue needs to be reported to NVIDIA. NVIDIA also doesn't support custom resolutions in the control panel when DSC is active, so there is currently no way to add custom refresh rates with DSC. Disabling DSC would limit you to 8K @ 30 Hz or 4K @ 60-120 Hz.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2024, 04:12 AM
New to CRU. Running 4090 into a Pioneer Elite AVR that supports HDMI 2.1 fearures and then into a Samsung 77" S90C TV. After discovering I did not have Gsync enabled correctly, I noticed it pretty immediately causing VRR flicker. I successfully utilized CRU to limit the VRR range to 40-110hz. That successfully resolved VRR flicker, but introduces a host of stability issues. Alan Wake 2 for example will show a black screen for a couple of seconds when transitioning from gameplay to a cutscene. Hogwarts Legacy is a mess, showing a black screen intermittently every few seconds. Resident Evil 4 remake just crashes on launch with a GPU error. Deleting all in CRU solves all the bugs but the VRR flicker returns. Any advice on any settings I may be missing? All I did was double click the CTA-861 Extension block, double click HDMI 2.1 support, and input the VRR range there. Left everything else alone. Any assistance if possible would be greatly appreciated
06-09-2024, 04:32 AM
(06-09-2024 04:12 AM)sjpatter86 Wrote:  New to CRU. Running 4090 into a Pioneer Elite AVR that supports HDMI 2.1 fearures and then into a Samsung 77" S90C TV. After discovering I did not have Gsync enabled correctly, I noticed it pretty immediately causing VRR flicker. I successfully utilized CRU to limit the VRR range to 40-110hz. That successfully resolved VRR flicker, but introduces a host of stability issues. Alan Wake 2 for example will show a black screen for a couple of seconds when transitioning from gameplay to a cutscene. Hogwarts Legacy is a mess, showing a black screen intermittently every few seconds. Resident Evil 4 remake just crashes on launch with a GPU error. Deleting all in CRU solves all the bugs but the VRR flicker returns. Any advice on any settings I may be missing? All I did was double click the CTA-861 Extension block, double click HDMI 2.1 support, and input the VRR range there. Left everything else alone. Any assistance if possible would be greatly appreciated
The VRR range should include the refresh rate set in the Windows display settings or in the game. Try setting the refresh rate to 100 Hz.
06-09-2024, 04:27 PM
(06-09-2024 04:32 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-09-2024 04:12 AM)sjpatter86 Wrote:  New to CRU. Running 4090 into a Pioneer Elite AVR that supports HDMI 2.1 fearures and then into a Samsung 77" S90C TV. After discovering I did not have Gsync enabled correctly, I noticed it pretty immediately causing VRR flicker. I successfully utilized CRU to limit the VRR range to 40-110hz. That successfully resolved VRR flicker, but introduces a host of stability issues. Alan Wake 2 for example will show a black screen for a couple of seconds when transitioning from gameplay to a cutscene. Hogwarts Legacy is a mess, showing a black screen intermittently every few seconds. Resident Evil 4 remake just crashes on launch with a GPU error. Deleting all in CRU solves all the bugs but the VRR flicker returns. Any advice on any settings I may be missing? All I did was double click the CTA-861 Extension block, double click HDMI 2.1 support, and input the VRR range there. Left everything else alone. Any assistance if possible would be greatly appreciated
The VRR range should include the refresh rate set in the Windows display settings or in the game. Try setting the refresh rate to 100 Hz.

I thought that the idea to eliminate VRR flicker was to cap the VRR range UNDER the configured refresh rate? Windows is set to 120hz. My understanding was setting VRR range to a bit under that is what fixes the flicker. Was I incorrect in that assessment?
06-09-2024, 04:53 PM
(06-09-2024 04:27 PM)sjpatter86 Wrote:  I thought that the idea to eliminate VRR flicker was to cap the VRR range UNDER the configured refresh rate? Windows is set to 120hz. My understanding was setting VRR range to a bit under that is what fixes the flicker. Was I incorrect in that assessment?
That doesn't make sense. VRR needs a base refresh rate to operate. If the base refresh rate is not included in the range, it can't function properly. Instead of changing the VRR range, try capping the frame rate below the max refresh rate. That might help by reducing fluctuations.
06-09-2024, 11:23 PM
Hi all -- apologies for butting into the thread, and the more so if this question has been answered in the past (I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find anything directly on point). I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 with Intel 620 UHD, powering an onboard IPS display 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz. I'm trying to use CRU to provide a higher custom refresh rate, but none of the custom resolution templates I build ever appear in my display adapter advanced settings "list all" menu. I have tried all kinds of different settings for timing and for the actual refresh rate, and have attempted hard reboots as opposed to driver reboots -- to no avail. I do see that CRU is having *some* interaction with my display settings because I can use it to edit the monitor's color depth.

Happy to provide more information if useful. Please help me get this panel running a bit smoother!
06-10-2024, 01:05 PM
(06-09-2024 11:23 PM)doobersnack Wrote:  Hi all -- apologies for butting into the thread, and the more so if this question has been answered in the past (I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find anything directly on point). I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 with Intel 620 UHD, powering an onboard IPS display 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz. I'm trying to use CRU to provide a higher custom refresh rate, but none of the custom resolution templates I build ever appear in my display adapter advanced settings "list all" menu. I have tried all kinds of different settings for timing and for the actual refresh rate, and have attempted hard reboots as opposed to driver reboots -- to no avail. I do see that CRU is having *some* interaction with my display settings because I can use it to edit the monitor's color depth.
Intel's driver often ignores EDID overrides for laptop screens.
06-10-2024, 04:34 PM
(06-10-2024 01:05 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(06-09-2024 11:23 PM)doobersnack Wrote:  Hi all -- apologies for butting into the thread, and the more so if this question has been answered in the past (I tried searching through the forum but couldn't find anything directly on point). I have a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen 6 with Intel 620 UHD, powering an onboard IPS display 2560 x 1440 at 60Hz. I'm trying to use CRU to provide a higher custom refresh rate, but none of the custom resolution templates I build ever appear in my display adapter advanced settings "list all" menu. I have tried all kinds of different settings for timing and for the actual refresh rate, and have attempted hard reboots as opposed to driver reboots -- to no avail. I do see that CRU is having *some* interaction with my display settings because I can use it to edit the monitor's color depth.
Intel's driver often ignores EDID overrides for laptop screens.

Thanks for the information. Are there any known workarounds, or Intel driver versions that don't do this?
06-11-2024, 01:04 AM
(06-10-2024 04:34 PM)doobersnack Wrote:  Thanks for the information. Are there any known workarounds, or Intel driver versions that don't do this?
I don't know since I don't have any Intel laptops. Originally Intel didn't support EDID overrides at all. Then they added it to the 15.x drivers several years ago after many people requested it, and it did work for some laptop screens but not others. I don't know if it's related to the driver version or certain hardware.
06-13-2024, 04:07 PM (Last edited: 06-13-2024, 04:08 PM by Hixxyz)
I have a 1440p monitor and want to get 1720x1080 res in fortnite but when i do all the steps the cru doesnt show my fullest hz , i have 240 hz but it shows only 144. Thanks ToastyX