Does this utility exist? If not, could it in theory?
08-26-2020, 10:04 PM
Does this utility exist? If not, could it in theory?
Hi there. First post! It seems like the denizens of this forum would know the answer to the following question:

Does (or could) the following utility exist?

In Windows, the utility would allow the user to define a "resolution within a resolution", and then (this is the tricky part) move that inner resolution around slowly and automatically, so as to reduce the chance of screen burn-in or image-retention.

For instance, the utility would allow the user to display a 1440p "full screen", at a 1-to-1 scale, within a 4k display, and additionally move that 1440p "screen" around continuously. Extra points are awarded if one can define a background color for all pixels outside the 1440p "window", but that implies that GPU is outputting a full 4k image, but Windows itself is oblivious of this and thinks it's driving a 1440p display at its native res. Not sure if such trickery is possible.

I ask this because I'd love to use a large OLED TV as my primary PC display, but of course I'd worry about burning certain static elements into the screen. I've used utilities in the past, decades ago, to create custom "underscanned" resolutions that kept Windows from extending beyond the screen borders of my CRT, and it seems like the "OLED Orbiter Utility" I describe above would be a natural extension of that. But perhaps I'm asking for the physically impossible.

Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2020, 02:33 PM
RE: Does this utility exist? If not, could it in theory?
I don't think a utility like that exists. Windows doesn't provide a mechanism to control the screen like that. I can only think of two possibilities. It might be possible by hooking into the desktop window manager, which would involve extreme hackery and is something I'm not familiar with, or it might be possible by creating toolbars similar to the taskbar to control the position of the desktop.
08-28-2020, 03:11 PM
RE: Does this utility exist? If not, could it in theory?
Thank you kindly for the reply.

I totally agree that this would not be an easy thing to pull off, and that it would be a challenging piece of code to write. I was just hoping that someone had done such a thing, and I just wasn't able to find it since I didn't know the proper terms to search for.

But if you guys don't think it's possible, it probably isn't. Thanks again.