2160p 120Hz over HDMI 2.0...possible?
11-29-2017, 04:42 PM
2160p 120Hz over HDMI 2.0...possible?
Does anyone know if it's possible to get my GTX 1080 to output 4k 120 Hz over HDMI 2.0?

At very least with standard timings, 2160p 4:2:0 120 Hz should fit within the HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations, and with reduced blanking, 2160p 4:2:2 120 Hz should also fit. 2160p 4:4:4 120 Hz obviously does not fit.

I've tried using CRU, but it doesn't seem to be possible to specify a 2160p 120 Hz resolution at any chroma other than 4:4:4 (RGB).

Does anyone know if there's any way to get 2160p 120 Hz at different chromas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2018, 10:43 PM
RE: 2160p 120Hz over HDMI 2.0...possible?
I wasn't successful with any attempts of getting any additional displays modes out of the LG 55C7V (which aren't available without "hacking" anything).

I tried lifting the HDMI bandwidth limit (both in the driver and EDID block) to start with and then
1: tried getting 2160p60@10bit RGB (or even just 1440p60@10-bit) but it never shows up in the driver. Even when I remove all "TV resolutions" and add some back manually (in a different way, not in the TV res list but other parts in the EDID or from the "custom resolution" menu in the driver) they still get recognized by the drives as TV resolutions (and many standard TV modes automatically get added to the list in the driver, even if absent in the modified EDID) and thus follow the usual HDMI 2.0 TV limits (or whatever other reason, nothing non-standard become available).
2: tried to use >60Hz with anything higher than 1080p but all I get is an unsupported resolution on the TV screen or presumably a driver crash (all screens go black [not just the TV] and the PC refuses to shut down with the power switch).

So, let me know if you figure something out. But in my case, I think the TV itself would refuse anything non-standard anyway (even if the driver was willing to anything you can dream up, like allowing you to specify the bit depth in a custom res and never care about TMDS limits).
02-09-2018, 10:47 PM
RE: 2160p 120Hz over HDMI 2.0...possible?
(02-09-2018 10:43 PM)janos666 Wrote:  I wasn't successful with any attempts of getting any additional displays modes out of the LG 55C7V (which aren't available without "hacking" anything).

I tried lifting the HDMI bandwidth limit (both in the driver and EDID block) to start with and then
1: tried getting 2160p60@10bit RGB (or even just 1440p60@10-bit) but it never shows up in the driver. Even when I remove all "TV resolutions" and add some back manually (in a different way, not in the TV res list but other parts in the EDID or from the "custom resolution" menu in the driver) they still get recognized by the drives as TV resolutions (and many standard TV modes automatically get added to the list in the driver, even if absent in the modified EDID) and thus follow the usual HDMI 2.0 TV limits (or whatever other reason, nothing non-standard become available).
2: tried to use >60Hz with anything higher than 1080p but all I get is an unsupported resolution on the TV screen or presumably a driver crash (all screens go black [not just the TV] and the PC refuses to shut down with the power switch).

So, let me know if you figure something out. But in my case, I think the TV itself would refuse anything non-standard anyway (even if the driver was willing to anything you can dream up, like allowing you to specify the bit depth in a custom res and never care about TMDS limits).

Well thanks for trying at least! Maybe in the future.